1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

Pilsner Hate

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MerryTapster, Apr 10, 2019.

1. MerryTapster

MerryTapster Zealot (593) Mar 6, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Society

What gives with this? I own a taproom and it's a style that is either coveted or loathed. It kills me because to me there is nothing better on a warm Saturday after noon than drinking a nice Pilsner Urquell or Krombacher

2. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,026) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Many styles are coveted and loathed. Not everyone likes the same thing. Furthermore, the whole "fizzy yellow beer" thing was pretty much the antithesis of the early 'craft beer movement' (aka microbrew scene). What came with that was a disrespect for lagers in general, in my opinion (just look at your average/mean lager score versus an ale).

All that being said, I get where you're coming from. I love pilsners and all lagers in general, really. Nothing really "hits the spot" the way a crisp & clean lager does. In my opinion the style has been much more popular than it was say 9 or 10 years ago. Pretty much every craft brewery does a pilsner or pale lager these days. I bet if you had a rotating pilsner tap you'd sell a fair amount.

#2 tzieser, Apr 10, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  3. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,778) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Some people have argued that the resistence to or dislike of a "real" Pilsner results from the use of the word "Pilsner" by the big kids. (Bud-Miller-Coors). Some folks think they don't like Pilsners because those are the only ones they've ever tried.

4. MerryTapster

Society

I actually have Krombacher dedicated and it does move. Most of my miller drinkers or real beer lovers drink a ton of it. Unfortunately most of the modern craft beer crowd only like juice bombs.

5. drtth

That surprises me. Where in PA are you located?

MerryTapster likes this.
  6. MerryTapster

Society

Northeast PA. Hazleton. We have a major IPA crowd up here which is surprising considering we are in the middle of Yuengling country.

DonObiWan, beertunes and drtth like this.
  7. eppCOS

eppCOS Champion (821) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Funny - your locals are chasin hazies... in Hazleton. There's a song in that, somewhere.
    Good luck man. There should be zero struggle moving Pilsner.

8. MerryTapster

Society

It moves. I guess I should have worded it different. I guess I tend to struggle with people who claim beer nerdity but refuse to drink anything but hazy's and shun pilsners, dunkels, bocks and the like.

lastmango, DonObiWan, LarryV and 10 others like this.
  9. drtth

Hmm, well if I wander into your place in that part of the state and ask for a Lager, it's not going to be a Pilsner I'm expecting.... :sunglasses:

So I'd say it sounds like you've pretty much got an either/or crowd there. Down here in SE PA most of the SE PA brewed Pils beers seem to sell fairly well.

10. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,026) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Those are just instagram losers who only drink beer for the likes

(and I bet they don't even drink a full pint/pour)

11. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,440) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society

I once read a quote that went something like:
    (I think it was in Lillian Roxon's Rock Encyclopedia - and she was referring to Buddy Holly vs Tommy Roe, Bobby Vee and the later Bubble Gum groups, but it still works).

Oh, that brings to mind another quote (mine) about a guy who always had the Yankee game on the radio.

#11 jesskidden, Apr 10, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  12. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,563) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

That's because there's a difference between a craft beer drinker and a beer enthusiast. They're claiming to be one, but really are another :wink:.

13. MerryTapster

Society

I mean who likes the Yankees except New Yorkers?

14. VoxRationis

VoxRationis Meyvn (1,431) Dec 11, 2016 New York
    Society Trader

To every beer, a season and a reason.

Nbrock24, GuyFawkes and beertunes like this.
  15. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Initiate (150) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

I am going to assume you are proffering some hyperbole over frustration with the fact that all folks aren't interested in craft lagers. I do hope however that folks like yourself (tap room owners) continue to keep craft lagers on draft because there are plenty of people who appreciate them. I for one, also will order a Pilsner Urquell if I see I see it on a draft list, which is unfortunately a rare occurrence .

16. stephens101

stephens101 Poo-Bah (2,203) May 5, 2006 Oklahoma

Perhaps that whole "extreme" thing that helped drive the rich beer explosion of the last decade accidentally backed itself into a corner where it can no longer embrace certain traditional styles without delegitimizing it's own "craft" credibility. I hope our collective palates don't get tired, else there might be trouble.

...has anyone tried a bacon and lactose infused vinegar barrel aged white stout yet? Might be time.

17. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,735) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I can’t think of anyone who really loathes a Pils, the only thing that pops into my mind if they equate Pils to an AAL, and don’t allow they’re two completely different animals.

LarryV, nw2571, rodbeermunch and 4 others like this.
  18. mambossa

mambossa Initiate (141) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio

Definitely with the new wave Instagram drinkers, it’s safe to say there’s a stigma with any lager to them. Most of them have no clue how many shapes and sizes lagers come in. And they seem to be the ones definitely not rating to style in that area. Also it might be difficult for them to understand what makes any style lager good and why they should like one. It’s sad, but down the road I’m sure they’ll learn and explore a bit more.

19. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (238) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I love Pilsners but damn is Yuengling Pilsner pretty awful, whomever decided that was a worthy replacement for Summer Wheat...

Unfortunately IPAs juicy or otherwise still seem to be all the rage so Lagers are taking a backseat. Just more for me, though, and the best part is that I don't need to stand in line for them, never need to worry about them being sold out or at too high of a price... :wink:

LarryV, Squire, AlcahueteJ and 3 others like this.
  20. nc41

Trader

It’s ridiculous to claim be be a beer lover and shit on a Pils, equally so with a simple Budweiser. If you hate AALs that badly your not much of a beer lover, sure there’s better beers, beers you like much better, but AALs in general are far from shit beers.

LarryV, DrumKid003, Squire and 3 others like this.
  21. nc41

Trader

Yuengling Golden Pls is far from my favorite Pils, I’d call it a miss on the style, but it’s certainly not offensive.

DonObiWan, LarryV, bmugan and 4 others like this.
  22. mambossa

mambossa Initiate (141) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio

I would always butt heads with some of my other craft buddies who vehemently opposed macro and AALs. I understand everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but damn, get a f*ckin grip and relax haha. It’s just beer.

LarryV and AlcahueteJ like this.
  23. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (238) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

It's got some odd flavors going on for me (sulfate-ish mixed with a little banana?) and after 12 of them (6 when it first came out and another 6 recently) I just can't get into it at all.

24. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Initiate (174) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Society Trader

Serious?

SFACRKnight and nc41 like this.
  25. nc41

Trader

Yea, AALs are as inoffensive and are lacking in aggression as any beer can possibly be, beers I like better, you bet. But you can’t seriously call AALs shitty beers, well maybe some attempts at Malt Liquors the exception.

LarryV, DrumKid003, SABERG and 3 others like this.
  26. thesherrybomber

Society Trader

Eh, there's a reason American beer was the laughing stock of the world for a long time, so I'm not sure everyone who doesn't prefer them is by default someone who dislikes beer (some would argue they barely qualify as beer).

They take a bit of specialty to make, sure, and if these giant conglomerates wanted to, I'm sure they can churn out some fantastic brews. They have the know how, certainly, but unfortunately put profits before all else.

nc41 and Ice_Cream_And_IPAs like this.
  27. drtth

You do realize those AAL brewers wouldn't be making money on their beers if they weren't selling beers that some people want to drink? Those brewers wouldn't have been in business so long as they have if they had to force people to drink their beers.

28. thesherrybomber

Society Trader

I'm told they were of a higher quality decades ago, but that was way before my time.

29. nc41

Trader

I’d love to own the profits from Bud Light alone, I could ha retired a decade ago. Something for everyone and most cut their teeth on these kinda beers.

#29 nc41, Apr 11, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    beertunes and drtth like this.
  30. drtth

Well there's no data or indication of brewing quality showing they are of lower quality now, just that the level of hopping has decreased over the years. That actually happened because of customer preferences.

JackHorzempa and AlcahueteJ like this.
  31. thesherrybomber

Society Trader

Strange... I wonder what caused a shift in preferences... would Ballantine and others still be around today?

drtth likes this.
  32. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (1,658) Sep 15, 2014 New York

I think so, too. You tell a lot of craft beer fans about a Pilsner and they'll cringe and bring up Miller Lite. But I imagine they would have a quite a different reaction to a fresh Prima Pils or Pivo poured properly into a flute glass around 45 degrees on a hot day. It's incredibly just how refreshing and tasty a fresh hoppy pilsner can be.

LarryV, nw2571, bmugan and 5 others like this.
  33. nc41

Trader

It’s off imo, but I couldn’t describe it, I just don’t buy this guy, there’s better Pils out there.

LarryV and ESHBG like this.
  34. drtth

Well, it didn't hurt that during the cold war years lots of GIs were stationed in the UK and Europe and some of them brought back with them a taste for more flavorful beers.

beertunes and thesherrybomber like this.
  35. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Savant (931) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Kind of ironic that the two groups who drink your Pilsners are real beer lovers and Miller drinkers.

36. drtth

Your question triggers another thought. I've an older friend who is also a home baker. He tells me that he first got started baking his own bread about 35-40 years ago when all the breads in the supermarket were basically white and doughy (he calls them "wall paper paste.") These days he has cut back on the frequency with which he bakes simply because in most of the grocery stores where he shops there are artisanal breads available that are freshly baked, some of them even baked in the store itself.

Popular tastes in general have changed over the last 30 years.

#36 drtth, Apr 11, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  37. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (82) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

As far as loathe, I feel like Macro or over-saturation of certain brands of beer out there (Boston lager, heineken, and the like) that should NOT be representative of the style and give off the impression that its going to be thin, skunky and nearly flavorless for some. but thats some people's first experience with it and they get turned off from trying more quality versions like Trumer, Urquell and hundreds of others. On the other hand I feel it represents "American" beer in that you've got those salt of the earth worker types and their friends, wives, etc, who love themselves what they feel to be beer that represents some form of americana or nostalgia for a time then "beer was beer." You know they types all those anti-craft commercials are geared towards. Just my four cents

Buckeye55 likes this.
  38. hillind

hillind Aspirant (245) Apr 24, 2010 Pennsylvania

I’m from the op’s neck of the woods, and we do have a wide variety of pils (all the SEPA heavy hitters) but finding them fresh can be a chore as there are many shops where it seems like IPAs and big stouts are the only product that moves. That’s why I was happy to find SN Summerfest this week.

39. thesherrybomber

Society Trader

I thought Corona was pretty disgusting the first time I tried it, and didn't help that a friend said "If you don't like this, you DEFINITELY won't like the stronger/darker ones" (same guy who cried, "Blegh! This beer tastes like coffee!" after trying a brown ale). That's probably why I avoided all beer for the longest time.

Maybe its a taste thing? One guy drinking a Coors said, "Oh, I can't do ales". No idea how much of that is based on perception. Its a lot harder to hide flaws in a lager, so maybe they see it as more a means to an end. Something to "man up and take" to get drunk.

Buckeye55 likes this.
  40. nc41

Trader

Another thing to consider here is freshness. Things to stay away from: beers in clear or green bottles exposed to light or heat, even if that sitting at room temp on a palate. Old ass beers in general. Any beer can be ruined by any of the above, beers need to be properly contained, fresh and kept cool and dark.

LarryV, Buckeye55 and keithmurray like this.