1. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Pipeworks Releases and Updates (2019)

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by csmakio, Jan 1, 2019.

1. csmakio

csmakio Initiate (116) Nov 26, 2016 Illinois

Anyone see Hop Charisma in the wild yet? Trade Joes?

Happy New Year dudes!

aussiebeer and FBarber like this.
  2. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,649) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Some quick information about Pipeworks for reference in this thread.

The Dojo is located at the Pipeworks production facility at: 3912 W. Mclean Ave. in Chicago

Hours
    are:
    Thursday 3:00 - 7:00
    Friday 3:00 - 9:00
    Saturday 11:00 - 5:00

A list of to-go cans/bottles from the Dojo can be found here along with their new releases and barrel aged offerings: http://pdubs.net/cans/

No taproom at this time, although we all hope they continue to move forward with the plans to open one: https://chicago.eater.com/2018/6/11...-middle-brow-pipeworks-permits-update-brewpub

@NOTpipeworks will occasionally chime in and answer questions on here.

3. dukeandduke

dukeandduke Meyvn (1,105) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

Would love to see the much anticipated (been reading about it since 2015) plans for Pipeworks to open a brewpub in 2019, hopefully there will be movement on this front this winter/spring with construction starting before the end of this year.

4. bshadley7

bshadley7 Initiate (75) May 31, 2014 Illinois

There is already a pipeworks thread, what is this pishposh??

5. flat_lander

flat_lander Devotee (462) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

BuffaloBill12 likes this.
  6. csmakio

locked my dude

7. Elldawg13

Elldawg13 Initiate (25) Mar 18, 2016 Illinois

Been a little out of touch with the beer world lately, can someone please update me if there are any BA offerings at the dojo? If so which ones? Thank you!

ECOBOOSTINST likes this.
  8. ECOBOOSTINST

ECOBOOSTINST Aspirant (211) Jul 7, 2016 Iowa
    Trader

Click the link in the second post. Looks to be a few available currently.

9. Elldawg13

Elldawg13 Initiate (25) Mar 18, 2016 Illinois

Oh wow they’re posting availability online now?! Thanks for the info!

ECOBOOSTINST likes this.
  10. dukeandduke

dukeandduke Meyvn (1,105) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

Per the newsletter sent eight minutes ago:

A note on Barrel Aged Jones Dog availability:

First, thank you for your interest and excitement about this beer and other 2018 variants. We love them too!

We realize there has been some confusion and misinformation, and we apologize for not being clearer in regards to Barrel Aged Jones Dog availability.

Currently we have Cognac Barrel Aged Jones Dog available in The Dojo. We have ended the reserve period for our Friends With Benefits members, but that does not mean that we will be releasing unclaimed reserved bottles this weekend.

We will make an announcement in this newsletter if/when we release any more Barrel Aged Jones Dog bottles or variants other than Cognac Barrel Aged Jones Dog.

11. PhilBallins

PhilBallins Initiate (199) Nov 29, 2016 Illinois

So we should line up EVERY weekend. Got it.

12. ISpendTooMuchOnBeer

ISpendTooMuchOnBeer Initiate (89) Oct 29, 2015 Illinois

Was there today with a dude who was banking on leftovers being available. When PW staff said they weren’t, he literally was dumbfounded on what to do or whether to buy anything (and he had come from a far distance). Meanwhile, I went in with a plan to get a 4 pack of speed of sound and a 4 pack of the new bock and considered JD leftovers a huge unexpected bonus if available. So I walked out happy with what I needed and drinking SoS right now which is absolutely phenomenal. Funny that it took PW so long to jump on the hazy train. Once it did, took over best in Chicago in this category IMO in record time. And the Bock sounds so perfect for winter crushing. Can’t wait to try it. As others have said many times already, pay attention to what’s readily sitting on the shelf or in the cooler. It’s likely just as good if not better than those rarities you’re chasing.

13. prior2two

prior2two Disciple (378) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I still put forbidden root and cooridor above them for the haze, but everything hoppy, they’re still the kings.

NvU and Infinite Galaxy might be the best IPAs east of Philly.

14. PhilBallins

PhilBallins Initiate (199) Nov 29, 2016 Illinois

:thinking_face::thinking_face::thinking_face::thinking_face::thinking_face::thinking_face::thinking_face:

15. FBarber

Society Trader

Start in Philly and just keep heading east ... you'll hit Chicago eventually.

16. DeadWax

DeadWax Initiate (70) Dec 29, 2016 Illinois

Is that because it was in West Philadelphia that you were born and raised? Chillin out, maxin, relaxin all cool?

NOTpipeworks, FBarber and ChiPez66 like this.
  17. ISpendTooMuchOnBeer

ISpendTooMuchOnBeer Initiate (89) Oct 29, 2015 Illinois

Fair enough on corridor, but forbidden root’s hazies fell off a cliff in 2018 IMO.

Acschoen likes this.
  18. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Zealot (566) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

How so? Did you find the quality went down on the lineup or did they fall off because they weren't producing new one-offs?

19. FBarber

Society Trader

I can't speak for @ISpendTooMuchOnBeer, but for me, Forbidden Root took two major hits in my book. First, I had some quality issues with their cans that tempered my purchasing of their beers, and second, they did not release them often enough. I don't need a new beer all the time, in fact I really like their main lineup, but they were too sporadic for me. So I found myself going for other things that were more readily available.

20. prior2two

prior2two Disciple (378) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

It was a 2am post

PhilBallins and FBarber like this.
  21. Bbear

Bbear Initiate (131) Oct 26, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I was at FR recently for a company holiday dinner and felt like their NE IPA's have dropped in quality. Might by palate changing or over saturation of the style in the market, but overall I was underwhelmed by Snoochie Boochies and Radio Swan, both of which I have enjoyed in the past. So I'm right there with you.

ECOBOOSTINST and FBarber like this.
  22. flat_lander

Society Trader

In less humorous related beer news today - PW made a massive drop of Supremium, Velocity, Speed, and Pilsner at my friendly downstate Binny's yesterday. This makes me very happy to see all of these as we've been touch and go on all of these - actually think we only saw Velocity in the past and it wasn't a lot. Looking forward to to a Speed tonight. Thanks @Pipeworks . I appreciate the downstate love.

23. ChiPez66

ChiPez66 Initiate (75) May 21, 2018 Illinois
    Trader

SoS is great. Loved it each time I had one. I have one left.

Haven't had any of the other three, as I'm watching my budget. Spent way too much money on beer this fall/winter.

HouseofWortship likes this.
  24. Jplachy

Jplachy Disciple (321) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois

I opened my last can of Speed of Sound while making dinner tonight and I had finished long before dinner was on the table. Gonna be near the Dojo tomorrow gonna have to grab more.

25. VinHalen54

VinHalen54 Initiate (112) Jun 4, 2014 Illinois

I'm 48, and I say this every year. But I REALLY mean it this year.
    A couple of visits to Revolution, one to Pipeworks, and a few extra drops of BCBS and I am simply DONE! #DrinkTheCellar

26. VinHalen54

VinHalen54 Initiate (112) Jun 4, 2014 Illinois

It's January and budgets have been blown (per usual) so we are gonna get this trending: #DrinkTheCellar

BuffaloBill12, ChiPez66 and lloydboss like this.
  27. IlCraftWjgman

IlCraftWjgman Initiate (92) Mar 7, 2016 Illinois

I support #DrinkTheCellar

28. IlCraftWjgman

IlCraftWjgman Initiate (92) Mar 7, 2016 Illinois

Also anyone know if they sold out of the Jones Dog yesterday? I was thinking about cognac jones dog yesterday? I was thinking of making a stop today.

29. HouseofWortship

Trader

I support #DrinkTheCellar. What time should we all come over?

30. flat_lander

Society Trader

I support building the cellar bigger and stronger! Make the cellar great again! Durp!

Speed of Sound is an excellent beer. Yes, it's fairly one dimensional in flavor, but I love mosaic so I'm all good with that. For me, Speed edges out VoL. Which surprised me because I love that galaxy/mosaic combo.

31. Quilentro

Quilentro Aspirant (230) May 12, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

People were reporting weirdness with Encore. Just cracked one. It was delicious. Thick and balanced with great coffee and non-artificial blueberry, with a little heat. Enjoy!

32. FBarber

Society Trader

I hadn't heard anything about this, but since you mentioned it, I cracked this one a week or so ago with a friend and it was fantastic.

NOTpipeworks, kbergen28 and Quilentro like this.
  33. beardown2489

beardown2489 Disciple (351) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

Apple Brandy Jones dog was at the beer cellar today. Fantastic

34. Minipork

Minipork Initiate (148) Dec 11, 2010 Illinois

Anyone try Hop Charisma yet? Is it VOL or SOS level?

35. csmakio

i had a can on friday, was not my cup of tea, nowhere near VOL or SOS level. very very floral/perfume taste to it.

36. DragonflyJones

DragonflyJones Initiate (55) Mar 22, 2018 Illinois

Keep the Euro cans coming Pdubs, and some more DIPA brews (Emerald, Sure Bet) in 4 packs!

BuffaloBill12 and csmakio like this.
  37. Nachos4two

Nachos4two Zealot (562) Nov 26, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

38. BLA1R

BLA1R Initiate (45) Sep 1, 2015 Illinois

Where are the Unicorn vs Zombie cans??

39. HouseofWortship

Trader

Isn't that basically what FR/FFF's Stay Lit was?