Pitch temp too high?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by sooners3210, Apr 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sooners3210

sooners3210 Initiate (0) Jun 15, 2006 Texas

i made a IPA today and pitched it into a old yeast cake. Somehow the temp got to 90 degrees when I was done collecting the wort. So the fermentation took off fast but I got it to 70 within 3 hours by being in the fermentation chamber. Should I expect a lot of off favors? Cali yeast.

2. inchrisin

inchrisin Pooh-Bah (2,013) Sep 25, 2008 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah

90 Is pretty high. It won't make your beer undrinkable.

3. CDennyRun

CDennyRun Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2014 Washington

I'm not sure of what happened there, but temps do rise during active fermentation. 90 degrees is very high.. I've never seen that. I would imagine you'll have a uneven attenuation, and probably some off-flavors due to it. I could be wrong though (I've been wrong before) Ha ha

4. VikeMan

VikeMan Grand Pooh-Bah (3,043) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

90F is pretty effing high. I'd expect higher than normal esters and possibly fusels. Good luck!

5. pweis909

pweis909 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,176) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Pooh-Bah Society

Did you just not cool it to as low as you thought? If tour chiller is not getting the beer down to temp, you should peobably put the beer in your temp controlled fermentation chamber to bring it down further before pitching.

How are you measuring the temp of the wort? I'm wondering if either your 90 degree or 70 degree measurements could be erroneous. Or maybe you have a small batch size? I would have guessed it would take longer to drop 5 gallons 20 degrees in a fermentation chamber. But it's just a guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.