Pitching yeast

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by PNW_IPA, Aug 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PNW_IPA

PNW_IPA Initiate (0) Nov 18, 2017 Washington

Hi, I pitched my yeast when the temp was 82 in the bucket and I read about ways to cool it down. But just wondering if I bomb the batch or will it be okay that i cooled it down. Mind you I just read this and I pitched it about 3 hours ago.

Thanks!

2. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Initiate (0) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania

Which yeast, brah?

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  3. PNW_IPA

Belgian abbey ale . Smack pack

4. EvenMoreJesus

So you pitched one smack pack into a wort that was about 10F higher than you would have wanted it to be? In a beer that I assume that you'd want some esters in, you should be just fine. Better than usual, actually.

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  5. PNW_IPA

Okay thank you for that. I just couldn't wait for it to cool lol. So I just pitched it and was hoping for the best.

6. EvenMoreJesus

Increased temperature and underpitching will give you more esters. That may be a happy accident for you.

7. PNW_IPA

Yeah I planned that. Lol

8. epk

epk Pundit (813) Jun 10, 2008 New Jersey

I'll add that rule #2 of homebrewing is don't just dump on a whim. It shouldn't be your first thought. Let it ride, taste it, then decide.

That said, correcting an issue isn't a bad thing either. Your first post suggests you may have started cooling it more after pitching? My preference would have been to take it down a bit if possible. I've never used that strain that hot, I'd think fusels could be a problem, but maybe others have expereince with Belgian Abbey at that temp.

In the summer I have a hard time chilling wort below 75-80 with my groundwater. I'll typically chill the last 10 degress or so in the ferm chamber than pitch. Of course that can take a few extra hours.

GormBrewhouse and MrOH like this.
  9. MrOH

MrOH Grand Pooh-Bah (3,331) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society

This is why I used to only brew saisons of one type or another for 6 or so months out of the year. The kveik strains out now have been a really game-changing. I can now brew damn near anything, maybe not to style, but really interesting interpretations.

10. ssam

ssam Pundit (973) Dec 2, 2008 California

So kveik strains can take up to 90`F... that's awesome. Which ones have you tried?

11. MrOH

MrOH Grand Pooh-Bah (3,331) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society

HotHead and Voss. HotHead a nice honey-like quality to it, while the Voss is very orangey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.