Pittsburgh Breweries - 2018

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by EersandBeers, Jan 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3genpanther

3genpanther Initiate (0) May 20, 2009 Pennsylvania

I know they had the KBS week in Michigan a few weeks ago, but I didn't think the broad release was happening until the end of the month. Have you heard otherwise? I haven't seen anything in the Burgh yet.

https://tenemu.com/news/founders-releasing-kbs-2018-nationwide-march-30/12/2017

2. EersandBeers

EersandBeers Zealot (695) Jan 16, 2013 West Virginia

Ahhh that makes sense. These guys live really close to Michigan border. So that must be why they were drinking it. I just assumed it was out.

3. HeyJim

HeyJim Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2012 Pennsylvania

Went to the Vooodoo Food truck thing. If you've never had Pittsburgh Sandwich Society's loaded fries, your missing out.

Hit up "Strange Roots" aka Draai Laag...ehhhhhhhhhhhhh..

HITCHHIKER....perfect. Woke is the best breakfast stout I've ever had.

AGIRO....

4. 3genpanther

Good stuff. How was the event itself? I haven't been to any of the Voodoo food truck rallies. Heard good things on Woke, but haven't had yet. Had Weyerbacher's SMS last night -- it was good, but not as exceptional as I was expecting. I'll have to try Woke when I get a chance.

5. EastHarris

EastHarris Devotee (347) Jan 9, 2012 Pennsylvania

Hello All - Great thread, thanks for all the info.

I’m staying in downtown for the week. Do any of the aforementioned breweries have cans or crowlers to go?

Also are there any clusters of breweries that are close enough together that if you drive to one you can walk and hit the rest?

6. 3genpanther

There are several clusters of breweries: Dancing Gnome and Hitchhiker in Sharpsburg (you can walk between, but easy enough to drive too), Grist House and Strange Roots in Millvale (short walk), and a bunch in Lawrenceville but it's too far to walk between most of them; it's easiest to uber really (Cinderlands and Eleventh Hour are a block away from each other, which is the exception here).

Dancing Gnome is up to 2-3 can releases a week. Line depends on weekday vs weekend and the type of beer, but generally it's not too crazy, just get there a little before or around the start time and you're typically fine.
    http://www.dancinggnomebeer.com/can-schedule/

Hitchhiker recently started canning and they're pumping them out about as often as DG. Not sure if their website keeps up to date, I would just follow their IG account. Typically they'll have some leftovers the next day(s) but maybe not for their most popular.

Grist House does some cans but they're not as frequent. Strange Roots (formerly Draai Laag) will release larger bottles every so often as well. You can keep track of both of them on IG.

Cinderlands sells crowlers of all of their beers. Their list of beers and crowler prices are online.
    https://www.cinderlands.com/

East End Brewing I believe sells bottles, cans, and crowlers to go as well. They're located in the Strip District (between downtown and Lawrenceville).

All of the breweries above are easy trips to one another by car.

I would also point you to Brew Gentlemen (Braddock) and Voodoo (Homestead) as a cluster, although they're about a 10 minute drive between each other. Voodoo always has cans of their flagship stuff. BG is typically a no-go on bottles although they'll occasionally have some bottles of their Mise En Rose collection, which you can read about on their website. I would call to see what they have if you're interested.

Gnargusto and thebeers like this.
  7. RandyRanderson

RandyRanderson Initiate (0) Jun 24, 2014 Pennsylvania

So you’re downtown this week? The above posts pretty much covered it all but a lot depends when you go.

I think the Lawrenceville breweries are pretty walkable, albeit depending on the weather. It’s a mile from cinderlands/eleventh hour to roundabout.

Hitchhiker is usually good for cans for at least a week after. They had Myrcene and some sours this weekend. East End hasn’t plenty of Gratitue and BBA Grat left at both locations

8. Pierre_Pressure

Pierre_Pressure Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2016 Pennsylvania

I'll second this and add in that when the weather is nice the walk from Eleventh Hour to Hitchhiker isn't too bad either. It's a bit long....3 to 3.5 miles, but you can hit Eleventh Hour, Cinderlands, Roundabout, Hop Farm, Dancing Gnome, and Hitchhiker all along one fairly straight simple route. Long walks can seem much shorter when they average a brewery every half mile or so.

3genpanther likes this.
  9. McMatt7

McMatt7 Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2014 Pennsylvania

And long walks on the beach can seem much shorter when you're holding hands with someone you love.

I like Roundabout.

randylangford likes this.
  10. h2p412

h2p412 Initiate (0) Mar 28, 2018 Pennsylvania

They tapped KBS at Harris Grill downtown last night - I didn't really see any advertising for it anywhere but it was on Founders' site. Barely anyone seemed to be there when I went - should still be on tap this week.

11. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Initiate (0) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania

Woke is definitely of good quality. Not the best I've ever had, though, but a very solid beer.

12. EastHarris

EastHarris Devotee (347) Jan 9, 2012 Pennsylvania

Thanks all for the awesome advice! Ended up taking an Uber down to Cinderlands for beers and grub and then a block over to 11th Hour for some more beers. Really impressed by both but some of the beers at 11th hour really stood out. Didn’t get to any of the others but maybe next time.

I looked earlier in the week and thought I saw that Dancing Gnome was releasing OBB in Wednesday but the day of it disappeared without a trace.

13. shuggy

shuggy Pundit (794) Dec 22, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Do you know if HH uses lactose or any of the other indistinguishable sugars in Woke?

14. 3genpanther

Glad you had a good time.

Per DG in their newsletter last week:
    Things start out on Wednesday with a fresh batch of O.B.B. Previously, we had plans to can this batch, but found our selves a little light on beer at the end of last week thanks to you thirsty folks. (Un)Fortunately, O.B.B. will be draft only, but it's just as crushable at 6.2% and dripping with Mosaic, Citra, and Chinook hops.

15. EersandBeers

I think I remember seeing they use Maple Syrup, Cinnamon, and Vanilla

16. EersandBeers

I didn't even realize it was Pittsburgh Craft Beer week until yesterday. I looked at the calendar and it seems the same as last year...underwhelming. Is it me or do they really not push it like they should? There were a couple events/places I thought about attending, but it seems like they always start at the same time.

17. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Initiate (0) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania

PCBW is a mess. I don't think many people care about it any more. Outside of Caliente, that is. :wink:

RandyRanderson likes this.
  18. EersandBeers

Agreed. Caliente seems to be the only venue that gets into it.

19. 3genpanther

20. EersandBeers

The website really is shitty, lol. I've always wondered about that.

3genpanther likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.