Pittsburgh Brewing launching new craft beers

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by ejimhof, Jul 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IronCitySteve

IronCitySteve Initiate (0) Apr 15, 2008 Pennsylvania

I wish Oktoberfest brews did not replace Pumpkin beers..."Real" Pumpkin beers can be decent, but Oktoberfest brews are delicious.

2. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,220) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Subscriber

30+ years too late. Pittsburgh (original contract brewer of Samuel Adams Boston Lager in 1985) was among the early old-line brewers which brewed for the first generation of "contract/craft" beers - along with F. X. Matt, Fred Koch, The Lion, Schell, etc. In 1987, Jim Koch even accused Pittsburgh of brewing "clones" of SABL for some of the other contract craft companies, yet the brewery didn't try to jump into the new craft segment with their own label at the time, as Matt did with Saranac, Schell with their Pilsner and Weiss for MdV, Fred. Koch (owned by UK's Vaux) with their Jubilee Porter, The Lion with the Brewery Hill line, etc.

3. OneDropSoup

OneDropSoup Meyvn (1,048) Dec 9, 2008 Pennsylvania

I think I've heard that Pittsburgh's Augustiner Lager was supposed to be a SABL clone.

4. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,220) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Subscriber

PBC purchased the Augustiner brand in the mid-1970s when Ohio's August Wagner closed. Then it was just one more of Pittsburgh's large portfolio of standard AAL's.

Not sure when they reintroduced it with a reformulated recipe but IIRC it was around 2000. From what I've read, it was more aimed at getting a piece of the runaway success Yuengling Traditional Lager's market (both in price and recipe) than Sam Adams Boston Lager.

But even so, it was still 15 years too late for a "craft" line from an old line brewery.;)

5. PSU_Mike

PSU_Mike Crusader (782) Sep 6, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

@jesskidden You know far too much about beer history. I know you have the website but do you have a job in the field or is it just a hobby?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.