Pittsburgh - New Beers & Local Breweries

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by brewgentlemen, Jun 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brewgentlemen

brewgentlemen Initiate (26) Aug 15, 2014 Pennsylvania

Since our old home got burned down for "bickering", here's a new thread to discuss local breweries and beers available in the greater Pittsburgh area. Everyone, please be tactful and assume good intentions.

2. kbuzz

kbuzz Champion (894) Jan 22, 2011 North Carolina

Just saw this on HopFarm site under "coming soon"...gotta love the name...and people poop their pants over peach beers...

De Peché Mode- Provision Saison a la peaches.

Tedwarhc, dannyfayy and london1o1 like this.
  3. Matthouse3

Matthouse3 Initiate (131) Jun 29, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I really enjoy reading the back and forth. It makes work go a lot faster.

brother_rebus and kbuzz like this.
  4. wyckyd_sceptre

wyckyd_sceptre Initiate (0) Oct 26, 2013 Pennsylvania

Voodoo Homestead Block Party is coming up. Gotta love BBQ, good beer, music, and summer.

PSU_Mike likes this.
  5. Matthouse3

Trader

This will be dope.

6. Grodd87

Grodd87 Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2014 Pennsylvania

Man that thread had a good run but now let's have a good time no problem with objective opinions let's keep it straight this time @RblWthACoz Its a new thread now

kbuzz likes this.
  7. chefduff2

chefduff2 Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2008 New York

It's also raising money for the fire department right? Those guys deserve it for the tough area they are working in.

8. troygreer

troygreer Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Deactivated

Maybe the have some BA BBVD that they will haul out! Either way, should be fun times

9. greg4579

greg4579 Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2010 Pennsylvania

When I was in Giant Eagle this past weekend I saw newer Head Hunter packaging which prompted me to check the dates on the bottles (6/9). I enjoyed a fresh Head Hunter last night and got reacquainted with an old flame. It had been a while and I forgot how good that beer is.

uvm2003 and OGFGabv like this.
  10. Matthouse3

Trader

Maybe we can get a pick-up game going with the hoodlums across the street?

11. jeevo

jeevo Aspirant (229) Nov 1, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

[​IMG]

No matter how many new IPAs come out / become available here, Head Hunter is still my favorite shelf beer in Pittsburgh.

sposter4, JArt and barflybastard like this.
  12. Grodd87

Me to had one last night same date it was damn good

13. kbuzz

See...the one beer that brings all yinzers together...I'm telling you...

HopFace, barflybastard and london1o1 like this.
  14. PSU_Mike

PSU_Mike Champion (865) Sep 6, 2013 Pennsylvania

I gotta say, it's hysterical to see that the old thread is gone for 12 minutes and this new thread already has 17 posts from like 12 different people. The old thread died and everyone's collective heart sank for a second.

troygreer, Matthouse3 and OneDropSoup like this.
  15. troygreer

Deactivated

Besides me..... :slight_frown:

I am fine with being the outlier.

16. kbuzz

Not a fan?

17. troygreer

Deactivated

It has never done it for me. I don't dislike but never seek it out.

18. kbuzz

When is the last time you tried it? Honestly...

19. troygreer

Deactivated

@randylangford Have you had any other customers say anything about the Blackbeards Breakfast? Had mine last night and it was really metallic. Just wondering if I got a bad bottle.

20. Preluderl

Preluderl Zealot (508) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I wish Voodoo would bottle more BA stuff once in a while. The Barrel Room collection thing is fun, but there was just so much down time between the last two rounds..

kbuzz and troygreer like this.
  21. troygreer

Deactivated

Last week Tuesday

kbuzz likes this.
  22. jagoffyinzer

jagoffyinzer Initiate (0) Mar 11, 2010 Pennsylvania

Here are some of the new beers at Hitchhiker we have on right now and what is up coming.

On Tap Now:

Roadie 07270 - American IPA made with Hopsteiner Experimental Varietal 07270.
    Rupel Red Saison - Belgian Pils and Caramel Malts made with our Farmhouse yeast strain.

Up Coming:

The Barbarian - An IPA made with Heady Topper's yeast strain hopped with Apollo and Columbus.
    Grisette - Made with Saison yeast blend and a good bit of Bravo hops.
    Kolsch - I know this won't have yinz pitching pants tents but I love Kolsch.

The upcoming beers should be on soon, if the thread stays on topic I will update when they do. The upcoming beers are by far our best beers after changing the way we propagate our yeast in house. If you ever want to stop by and shoot the shit and see the brewhouse/celllar send me a message. I live 2 minutes up the street from the brewery and is never an issue to come down.

Dogleg, greg4579, dtx00 and 2 others like this.
  23. Grodd87

24. wyckyd_sceptre

wyckyd_sceptre Initiate (0) Oct 26, 2013 Pennsylvania

25. PSU_Mike

PSU_Mike Champion (865) Sep 6, 2013 Pennsylvania

That is a similar hop profile to Heady IIRC. Your attempt at a clone?

26. Zach_BrewGentlemen

Zach_BrewGentlemen Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2015 Pennsylvania

Very soon, We need to install different faucets to fill them correctly.

We will make an announcement when they are ready!

27. barflybastard

barflybastard Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2012 Pennsylvania

Hopefully it's so good, I'll say that I "just can't get enough" of it.

28. troygreer

Deactivated

I'd love to have a Head Hunter with you guys at some point. Maybe I am missing something. It would be a good excuse to drink beer anyway.

29. kbuzz

If it's not your thing, it's not your thing...no big deal. I mean you are from Michigan or Florida or Nebraska or whatever...so not surprised you don't "get it" :stuck_out_tongue: (<---this means this was a joke, everyone, please don't report)

30. mikebezek

mikebezek Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2015 Pennsylvania

There is a Fathead's 'tasting' Thursday 7-9 at the Modern Cafe on the North Side. Just a head's up.

troygreer likes this.
  31. troygreer

Deactivated

The reason I said that is sometimes when you put a beer in a new/different context you can grow you enjoyment of it. For example, I didn't really like All Day IPA the first time I tried it. But I had a buddy who said "try this beer when you have been outside mowing the lawn or have been sweating" and so I did. It was a different experience for me and I understood the context in which I would really enjoy the beer.

32. london1o1

london1o1 Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2003 Pennsylvania

Respectfully disagree. A good bit of that discourse was neither healthy nor productive. It's one thing to have to wade through marginally off-topic posts about traffic and transportation (I like thinking about and discussing aspects of Pittsburgh as a growing city and how they relate to the development of its beer scene, but I realize a lot of people just want new beer recommendations). It's something else entirely to get dragged down by constant pointless trash talk. Constructive criticism of breweries is great, but nonstop snarky remarks and pages of back and forth insults to each other is just annoying and depressing. I love that this thread exists and would never narc on it to the mods, but I'm honestly surprised it took that long for it to get shut down. I just hope we learned our lesson.

33. chefduff2

chefduff2 Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2008 New York

Please let us know or at least somewhere on social media. I would like to give your beers a try and would prefer to drink the ones you think are your best.

jagoffyinzer, PSU_Mike and kbuzz like this.
  34. kbuzz

Yeah, I get that for some beers...but I'd enjoy HH even if I was sweating with the flu or had just been run over by a mower. Any context will do.

I believe I'm what some might refer to as a Fat Heads fanboy though :grinning:

troygreer, Matthouse3 and PSU_Mike like this.
  35. barflybastard

barflybastard Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2012 Pennsylvania

Guilty here, too.

36. jagoffyinzer

Am I missing the joke?

All Hitchhiker Social Media and my own personal social media will be updated when they go on tap. At the rate the 07270 is selling, The Barbarian should be on tap late this weekend.

Not an attempt at a clone, had no idea Apollo or Columbus was in Heady. I wanted to make a very dank West Coast IPA with some of the stone fruity esters from Conan.

chefduff2 likes this.
  37. OneDropSoup

OneDropSoup Meyvn (1,086) Dec 9, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Hold on, I say hold on there! Some of my favorite local brews are Kolschen - Four Seasons', Rock Bottom's, & Cerminara's Home Opener from the first PCBW (& I have my unconfirmed suspicions about whether the two latter might actually be the same beer). Hart also recommended your Kolsch, so I'm looking forward to trying it.

38. jagoffyinzer

Thanks but this Kolsch is a whole new ball game compared to what we use to offer. It's too big for the style at 6.2% ABV but has really turned out great.

39. Crisb184

Crisb184 Initiate (141) Dec 25, 2014 Pennsylvania

@zach_brewgentleman you asked what cool things you could do, to build on what was mentioned, start canning your hoppy stuff like CPA.

kbuzz likes this.
  40. dtx00

dtx00 Disciple (320) Oct 21, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Agree with Nate, Kolsch, while not an exciting style, when made well is a great style of beer.

jagoffyinzer and PSU_Mike like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.