Pittsburgh - New Beers & Local Breweries

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by brewgentlemen, Jun 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grodd87

Grodd87 Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2014 Pennsylvania

House is pretty close to Monroeville and would only take about an half hour and food is not great but not horrible. In Monroeville it self I would say mad mex great food good beer selection and decent price.

sdterp likes this.
  2. OneDropSoup

OneDropSoup Pooh-Bah (2,213) Dec 9, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Atlas Bottleworks is partnering with a publicly homophobic donut shop for an upcoming event. Sorry to get political, but fuck that noise.

3. Preluderl

Preluderl Pooh-Bah (1,710) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Maybe I live under a rock but I have no idea what this is about.

4. Tedwarhc

Tedwarhc Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2011 Pennsylvania

Peace, Love, and Hating Gay People Donut Shop

london1o1 and kbuzz like this.
  5. OneDropSoup

Pooh-Bah Trader

After questioning them on it, I actually just heard from Atlas' owner, who said they're looking into alternatives starting tomorrow.

kbuzz and Tedwarhc like this.
  6. psbhockey12

psbhockey12 Initiate (0) Apr 2, 2013 Pennsylvania

Nope ... Buddy's mother in law who lives right by DFH said its ~$200/case = ~ $35/4pack

7. psbhockey12

psbhockey12 Initiate (0) Apr 2, 2013 Pennsylvania

Honestly curious why anyone buys from them when they continue to rape ppl on prices..? I understand some stuff is from disto we don't see and it's worth buying there vs trading and paying shipping. But a lot of stuff is just robbery.

8. Hoprider

Hoprider Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2009 Pennsylvania

I got that price from this posting on BA when I looked up Higher Math. Maybe that's what a case breaks down to.

"On tap at local Dogfish Head Alehouse. This one smells boozy, ruby appearance. First sip was very medicinal, quite a let down. As it warmed, the taste definitely improved, but still had hints of cherry cough syrup. I did not detect any cocoa in this. Warming from the alcohol but expected at 17%. Can only hope this one improves with age. Have no plans to buy a bottle however at $45/4 pack."

9. PA-Michigander

PA-Michigander Grand Pooh-Bah (3,248) Nov 10, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Trader

I hope people understand that 4/6 pack prices x4 don't equate price of a case. Just like you can't take a single bottle x 24 for a case price.

10. Evahflow

Evahflow Zealot (665) Aug 13, 2013 Pennsylvania

I assume they do although they aren't very Brett forward, at least the ones I've had aren't. Why do you ask?

11. OneDropSoup

Pooh-Bah Trader

Again, what are D's, Dad's, McNeilly's, Hal's, Atlas, Gateway Grill, Beermuda, et al. asking for it? There's "GE/Whole Foods price" & there's "everybody else's price". Not saying I'm in favor of paying 58% more for something, but I'm guessing that's par for the course for this type of establishment.

12. wyckyd_sceptre

wyckyd_sceptre Initiate (0) Oct 26, 2013 Pennsylvania

Yeah it's basically like bar prices at all those places. When I moved here I was pretty shocked at the prices at bottle shops but I just got used to it and though I don't frequent those places all too much, I definitely wouldn't be adverse to buying something I wanted from them just because it's a buck or two more. It's just money, can't take it with you.

Not to mention the fact that it's just beer and no one is forcing anyone to buy it. Providing a service that people want and making a living off of it.

Dogleg likes this.
  13. Grodd87

That is how I feel I don't dislike places like ds and I understand the prices but why pay 3$ more when ge Shadyside is 15 min away from there.

14. wyckyd_sceptre

Also the reason places like GE and Whole Foods (Whole Paycheck) can charge lower prices is because beer is probably about 3% of the stores profit on a standard day and they have much more buying power. The only revenue for bottle shops and bars is from beer, drinks, and food, beer I would guess somewhere in the 50% range. Definitely more to do with the laws of the commonwealth and basically creating a noncompetitive market.

#6234 wyckyd_sceptre, Nov 9, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
    london1o1 likes this.
  15. Preluderl

Preluderl Pooh-Bah (1,710) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Trader

That's why buying things in distro at those places is silly. H1KB and the others of their ilk are awesome for the out of distro things you can pick up, but you're going to pay the price as you should for what they had to do to get it.

16. OneDropSoup

Pooh-Bah Trader

Your BeerAdvocate points just keep getting lower & lower. Snap out of it, man!

17. wyckyd_sceptre

Neck beards, hipsters, better last year, attentuation.

18. Grodd87

Yea I love house for the selection and prices are not horrible but not good either but the more stuff that comes to Pittsburgh it will hurt them to. I don't mind paying 19$ for speedway at house bc that is cheaper then trading for it but now that they are coming here I will pay 12-13 at ge.

19. Matthouse3

Matthouse3 Zealot (528) Jun 29, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

aww yeah super rare

20. OneDropSoup

Pooh-Bah Trader

That's the spirit! Now use the words "sodomize" & "mediocre" in the same sentence.

kkdowning likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.