Pittsburgh - New Beers & Local Breweries

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by brewgentlemen, Jun 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nhindian

nhindian Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2010 Pennsylvania

Any of you cool kids at BG able to get me a growler of Albatross?

2. wyckyd_sceptre

wyckyd_sceptre Initiate (0) Oct 26, 2013 Pennsylvania

The GNVP cupcake was off the chain
    The CCCBBVD was even better
    And the Quadfather Cheesecake was off the rails

The rest were insanely good too

Also I saw some guy tell @tommyguz wife that the cupcakes were so good he "almost had an orgasm"...

sbb32, barflybastard and 4ruedebuci like this.
  3. PMike

PMike Initiate (81) Jul 14, 2011 Pennsylvania

I went to Homestead with a two friends. I went last year too. I remember last year being a lot more orderly and the beers sticking around a lot longer. I was able to get one of everything last year. This year, we were in line at about a quarter after 11. By the time we got inside and someone waited on us, we were only able to get the CCCBBVD and the Apple Brady Grand Met. The problem, IMO, was the lack or organization once inside. There weren't really lines. It was confusing and left to the aggressors (which I am not). People were just jumping the bar. I don't mean that as a complaint, rather an observation. Clear lines inside at the bar would have made my experience better.

Both beers I had were fantastic and I was thankful to have had them.

David_Menendez and DCLAguy11 like this.
  4. tommyguz

tommyguz Meyvn (1,032) May 14, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Really? As for the cupcakes they were out at the end of the bar for all to enjoy, I even got the employee ones for people who asked that missed them. Which not to mention my wife and I make out of pocket for all to enjoy and ingredients for them were well over $200 to add to this great event voodoo put together.

Your complaining seems to be the opposite of 99% of everyone who attended this event at both places. The staff was amazing, the beers were great, the food insane. You just sound like a complainer

5. KJ2013

KJ2013 Initiate (0) Apr 14, 2013 Pennsylvania

Same here. Heard things were kicked so I'm going another day to claim my beer treasure

6. barflybastard

barflybastard Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2012 Pennsylvania

Didn't get to formally meet you, but @Stigs and @Tedwarhc pointed you out. Thought you were very blue sweatshirty.

7. barflybastard

Srs. Was like eleven minutes in Homestead? Only got to try it because @Tedwarhc is generous, and I was in line at 10:10.

8. barflybastard

Nice seeing @Tedwarhc and @zhoss24 (the latter at Fat Heads afterward) and meeting @randylangford , @chekyo4 and @Stigs (I forget anyone?). Displacing meeting someone you've only talked to online--like reading a book that becomes a movie and being surprised at who was cast to play the roles. Hope to be kid free next time, so I can drink more and hang out longer, meet/see more BAers. Would've like to have been able to see @kbuzz and @Dogleg and met more of you, but couldn't stick around longer; next time.

Edit: and briefly saw @Beerman6686 , nice seeing you as well.

#12608 barflybastard, Mar 26, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  9. Mounty4Life

Mounty4Life Initiate (0) Mar 4, 2012 Pennsylvania

What a blast today was! voodoo thank you and understand that every self respectful beer guy/gal enjoyed themselves today and will remember this for years to come! keep up the quality work and your loyal patrons will continue to pursue what they want to drink!!

10. psbhockey12

psbhockey12 Initiate (0) Apr 2, 2013 Pennsylvania

Bye Felicia.

11. psbhockey12

psbhockey12 Initiate (0) Apr 2, 2013 Pennsylvania

What took you guys so long on glasses. They sold out before BM in meadville

12. Juice0880

Juice0880 Initiate (74) Feb 4, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Great event. Great Beer. Great People. Thanks Voodoo!

Dogleg likes this.
  13. Mcj6986

Mcj6986 Initiate (148) Dec 14, 2013 Ohio
    Trader

Great event. Beers were great! CCBBVD was really nice and the wine notes on the Quadfather were also great! BBQ pulled pork sandwich was killer. Great job by Voodoo and nice seeing everyone enjoying great beer and the experience!

tommyguz and psbhockey12 like this.
  14. london1o1

london1o1 Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2003 Pennsylvania

Seems like a good suggestion. In practice i think it's a lot harder to police/maintain than you might hope, but some effort could have been made for this. It at least would've made sure none of the first 30-50 or so people missed out on BM (though I assume if any of them had, we would've heard about it by now).
    As to last year being more orderly, that was to be expected. Even reading these forums beforehand, people were speculating about the crowds that would be attracted by having BM on tap. Only way Voodoo can really control that is by making beers that fewer people are excited for.

Matthouse3 and tommyguz like this.
  15. london1o1

That's what I was going for!

barflybastard likes this.
  16. london1o1

Haha, fair.

17. london1o1

I'm glad most people had such a good time at the release, but I'm not a fan of all the piling on @oldmetalguy is getting. People shouldn't be berated into not giving dissenting opinions. I mean, it's a forum, so I guess that's kinda the deal, but still.

We made a separate line for allotments (and allowed for allotment pickup at your leisure for the coming weeks) to keep that from slowing down bar service, but when there are several hundred customers and significantly fewer bartenders, it's tough to accommodate everyone in a swift and orderly fashion. It sounded from your description like you were at meadville, but I assume they had a pretty similar setup and crowd to ours at homestead.

Definitely not saying there's no room to improve though, and I for one am definitely interested in hearing any suggestions.

Not trying to trivialize your experience, but from previous posts it sounds like you've just been getting into the world of craft beer - waiting in a huge line for an hour+ to get into an insanely packed bar/brewery/field/industrial park and drink extremely limited beer is a definite rite of passage in the craft beer world. It's not a part of craft beer you have to be excited about or even like, but it would be a little sad to never have gotten that experience at all.

18. barflybastard

Got in line a little after ten and was about 60ish back. Once inside, agree that others behind me were able to navigate the scrum more efficiently to order before I could, but wasn't a big deal...though BM did kick juuust before I was able to attract the attention of a tender. Also agree that it is probably not feasible to police without severely slowing the process--outside of doing something like tickets for the first 75 people, which I think would be unpopular/annoying. Felt Homestead was generally well run yesterday and had a bunch of fun; did get a glass and a shirt. Super impressed by the ninja way the allotments were announced, which benefits locals. Not a complaint just an observation (no regrets; couldn't have arrived earlier myself yesterday) and next time, I'll just plan to get there a bit earlier day of.

#12618 barflybastard, Mar 27, 2016
    David_Menendez and Dogleg like this.
  19. mertzhb15

mertzhb15 Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2014 Pennsylvania

@london1o1 A suggestion that I would have that is also the opinion of a good amount of others that I have talked to is to maybe limit pours to 4-5 ounces a person, and have a set limit on how much a person can buy of a certain beer at once. That way people aren't getting trashed, and more people can buy the beer that they waited in line for.

I would probably feel the same way even if I didn't get shut out of BM by just a few people, but I think it's when multiple people are walking away with 4 pours of a beer at once that it gets to be too much. I don't think a lot of people would disagree when saying that beers of such small quantity would be perfectly okay being reduced to 1 per person per trip to the bar, but maybe I'm completely wrong.

Not trying to complain either, because I had a great time yesterday. I just feel that there are a few ways to get the beer in more hands of the people that waited in line for over an hour.

20. Dogleg

Dogleg Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2014 Pennsylvania

Besides you assholes drinking nearly everything before I got there, it was a great time. Picking up of allotments could not have been smoother; great idea to get the boxes away from the bar area.

Every worker I spoke to between 3-4 ish was thoroughly exhausted. They obviously worked their asses off and I appreciate everything @voodoobrewery did to make this release a fun and relatively smooth event.

21. wyckyd_sceptre

wyckyd_sceptre Initiate (0) Oct 26, 2013 Pennsylvania

I'm surprised there was no limit on pours in Homestead. Very strict one Black Magick per person per transaction rule in Meadville.

Rodosman likes this.
  22. Preluderl

Preluderl Zealot (508) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

This would be my main thing. Two per person is fine, but they should be two different beers.

barflybastard and mertzhb15 like this.
  23. Mounty4Life

Mounty4Life Initiate (0) Mar 4, 2012 Pennsylvania

I was under assumption it was 1 per person for bm at homestead.....you could get 1 of each pour as I did when I got in but I didn't see anyone with 2 bm's.....

24. Mcj6986

Mcj6986 Initiate (148) Dec 14, 2013 Ohio
    Trader

So here is the real question for all the beer snobs out there (including myself). When you crack your manbearpig, will you be using the special honey jar like glass they released for it or something else? I'm torn... love the uniqueness of it, but I may have to use the barrel room collection snifter

25. Grodd87

Grodd87 Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2014 Pennsylvania

If u have 2 use both

26. 4ruedebuci

4ruedebuci Initiate (187) Jan 22, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Trader

One thing I have noticed about all of Voodoos events and releases over the past 3 years is that they keep trying to fine tune and improve them to make them fair and fun and to get their beer to the people who support them on a regular basis. I do not recall a keg kicking previously before most of the people there at open had a reasonable opportunity to get a pour, so I would guess they will look into improving that process.

I don't think a ticket or even just a single line for the super limited pours would be unpopular or annoying, sounds like a good idea. Seems like it would make things fair and more importantly take some of the stress off the people serving the beer. A lot of events I have been to with a very limited draft have had most of them poured already, hand them to you as you walk in, and take your credit card to open up your tab. Something along these lines would probably be more relaxed for both sides as opposed to letting everyone in at once and having 6 people deep at the bar fighting to be the first to get the attention of a bartender.

dtx00, robgage, barflybastard and 2 others like this.
  27. Rodosman

Rodosman Aspirant (215) Mar 16, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Not a complaint, just what I observed. Guy in front of me at the bar(homestead) was able to purchase 3 BM at once. When I took his spot I tried to buy 2 (one for me and one for my friend who grabbed a couple seats) and was told I can only buy 1 of each. I personally heard the guys conversation in front of me explicitly asking if he can buy 3 at once and was told yes. I had a different bartender. I was very understanding and was not upset. Just grateful to get one BM as well as the other delicious offerings. I thought the event was great and we had an awesome time. Wish I could press rewind and do it all again!

#12627 Rodosman, Mar 27, 2016
    TarHeelPanther likes this.
  28. bren4220

bren4220 Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2016 Pennsylvania

Outside of a ticket system, I'd have done away with the seating at the bar and gone with a single file roped-off line, at least for the first hour or two. I ordered immediately after @barflybastard did and was probably a good 40-50 people behind him in line from what he described. I didn't get any BM but it would have been whack if I got some and someone 30 spots ahead of me didn't.

But yeah the event was great and I'm sure it will continue to improve each year

29. Dogleg

I maybe misremembering things, but I thought during the barrel aged PCBW event they let the stools fill up and them filtered everyone else through one line for ordering.

30. tommyguz

tommyguz Meyvn (1,032) May 14, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

It's hard to make sure 300 people get pours from a 5 gallon keg, regardless of event / brewery / beer. Seems like if you were in line early, went in and ordered beer right away you were good to get bm. I really don't know? Would you really only want 4 oz? It's already an 8 oz pour. At what point does it get to be just wanting to tick the beer and not actually care about drinking the beer ?

Everyone who got allotments got 4 bottles to enjoy so in the end there is that?

No matter what someone is going to miss out on a pour no matter what you do

31. barflybastard

Allotment pickup could not have been easier. This coupled with the ninja release announcement on an otherwise lazy Monday afternoon makes me happy.

This^

Pre-poured BM might not have been the worst idea, but wonder about the counter space for something like this, with all the merch out and mob rushing the bar.

I cursed the bar seating myself, until a stool opened up in front of me after ordering--at that point, with the kid, there was no turning back. She already had toys splayed over the bar top when I scrawled my signature in the book. Solo, I would've gotten out of the way and sought proper seating. But, having no stools available for the first hour or two might have been a blessing. Or, as @Dogleg mentioned, have bar seating but then funnel to formal ordering station(s).

Mos def hard to ensure everyone's happy. Didn't get BM myself, but still happy. My goal was to get a shirt (and a glass for a friend); if I needed to have BM on tap, I would've planned to be there at 930. Would be against a smaller pour too--agree that it becomes ticking at such small quantities.

tommyguz and Dogleg like this.
  32. Preluderl

Trader

It does seem to me though like it might be a good idea to consider making it a ticketed event.

I'm sure this idea will be picked apart (and maybe rightfully so), but my thought was to do the box allotment the exact same way and, when paying for your allotment, you have the option to buy tickets to the release itself (or maybe just give them away?) My initial thought was 2 release tickets per one allotment purchased. But this is just an option, and it's not mandatory that allotment purchasers buy (or be given) tickets to the release.

From there, if all of the tickets aren't bought (or given out) to those who buy the allotments, you could then put the rest on sale to the general public on a first come, first serve basis.

Just a thought and fodder for discussion. I personally didn't have an issue with the way things went down yesterday, but I wasn't there with aim to get pours either.

barflybastard, Rodosman and Dogleg like this.
  33. Dogleg

I would not be pissed at all if it were a ticketed event.

34. Preluderl

Trader

Nor would I. At some point, the hype gets so big that it just becomes a hindrance to everyone. When I looked around on Saturday it just seemed to me like there were WAY more people there than could possibly even fit inside.. And it's not as though their space in Homestead is small or anything. It's a pretty big room.

Dogleg likes this.
  35. Preluderl

Trader

And that's all constructive criticism and idea slinging. Considering the way they chose to handle the event on Saturday I think they did their absolute best. No matter what they do, someone will be displeased.

STG228 likes this.
  36. PMike

PMike Initiate (81) Jul 14, 2011 Pennsylvania

I agree that it could be hard to police. I think my real suggestion would be to have 2-3 lines (bartenders) serving the barrel release beers. One or two people just pouring. I would then tell the bar tenders to not serve anyone sitting at a bar stool (that's where people were getting second rounds where I couldn't get in). Maybe rope off a line from the door to the lines (some how).

Even though I didn't get some of the BA beers, I don't like the idea of restricting people to only two pours, total. I think a person should be able to get 1 (only 1) of each BA beer. Perhaps management could encourage people not to come back for seconds. Impossible to enforce, but a good plea to peoples' decency.

Again, none of this is complaining. I had a fun time and got two incredible beers.

37. Preluderl

Trader

Was far too much chat and jump in the line to appear to peoples decency, IMO. I understand where you're coming from though.

barflybastard and chekyo4 like this.
  38. london1o1

I like that even if you miss out on the allotment announcement, you still have a chance to come try the beers though. In the weeks between the allotment signup and the release, I heard from a lot of customers who were disappointed they missed the allotments announcement, and were at least somewhat consoled by finding out the beers would be on tap. Whether they actually showed up in time and braved the crowds in order to drink those beers is another question, but at least they had a second chance.

39. Rodosman

Rodosman Aspirant (215) Mar 16, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I just want to know if I'm allowed to drink beers other than Manbearpig from my mbp glassware.

DCLAguy11 and london1o1 like this.
  40. Preluderl

Trader

I can understand that as well. It's tough. Like I said, there's no way to please everyone regardless of how it's done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.