Pittsburgh - New Beers & Local Breweries

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by brewgentlemen, Jun 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. london1o1

london1o1 Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2003 Pennsylvania

Ideal for chugging honey.

jeevo, Dogleg, Rodosman and 1 other person like this.
  2. dtx00

dtx00 Disciple (320) Oct 21, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Trader

This is not in relation to BM, but when i finally made my way up to the bar to order, I tried to order 3 drafts, all different beers, and was told that I could only order 2. Upon making my way back to a table with a group of friends none had an issue with ordering multiple beers. Not a big deal as I was able to sample from others I met up with but some cohesiveness in nice.

As for the inital rush, I would suggest taking a page from JO's releases. They implemented this system and it seems to work somewhat. Have someone at the door, acting as a host/hostess, and only allow in so many people at a time. This allows things to kick off in an orderly fashion. No for them its somewhat better as they have a waitstaff and can take orders and fill them as the go. May be tough with just a bar staff, maybe use the jockey box area for people to get refills as others are still getting initial orders? Think there is a way this could be adapted to VooDoo. Also agree with the pre pours as well. I can see space being an issue, but filling pitchers might alleviate this.

Cant really get behind all the other suggestions. Smaller pours is not the answer, tickets I dont like, just because its more money put out by the customer. I think you have to keep the bar seating, thats probably another 20 or so people that you would have to relocate to somewhere else in the space. Maybe have a "service" area, that other bars use for waitstaff that way it automatically keeps things orderly?

Brown120 likes this.
  3. nhindian

nhindian Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2010 Pennsylvania

Yeah I don't like the ticket idea unless it's fleshed out better. People that missed out on allotments for whatever reason could then try them on tap.

4. Crisb184

Crisb184 Initiate (141) Dec 25, 2014 Pennsylvania

Not sure I follow, my take on the ticket comment was that they would hand them out to first in line based on how many pours they anticipate for the specialty beers but not charge any extra for them. This would solve the multiple fills per customer as well.

4ruedebuci and barflybastard like this.
  5. 4ruedebuci

4ruedebuci Initiate (187) Jan 22, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Exactly, think this is pretty common practice with limited drafts. Give people one of those little tickets as they walk in (or before) and they hand it over when they buy their pour. Keeps it to 1pp and avoids a mad rush but still allows them to let everyone in at once.

6. dtx00

dtx00 Disciple (320) Oct 21, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Trader

My response was to the suggestion that this type of event become ticketed. It was mentioned that tickets be sold as an option when we signed up for BRCIV. I have never experienced tickets being given out for limited draft pours, and would question how that is calculated. How are spills, overpours and the like accounted for? Not saying its a bad idea, would just be curious about that aspect. I understand that a sixtel or whatever contains x number of pours.

7. voodoobrewery

voodoobrewery Initiate (0) Aug 31, 2011 Pennsylvania

Before Saturday, this has never really been an issue at either pub. I guess adding Black Magick into the mix changes things. I can say without a doubt that we will never move to a "ticketed" release party. As you've described, it's not fair to those who weren't able to purchase allotments. That being said, we understand that we need to do better going forward, and we will. We'll have something in place that is not only better for you, but our staff as well, for the Barrel Aged Tap Takeover at Homestead on 4.16.

8. Brewski

Brewski Devotee (436) Jul 22, 2012 Pennsylvania

Did you try reselling the BBQ pulled pork sandwich on mysandwichcellar.com at a 400% markup?:stuck_out_tongue:

Stigs, uvm2003, tommyguz and 6 others like this.
  9. Preluderl

Preluderl Zealot (508) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

FT: BBQ pulled pork sammich ISO: Cantillon Blaeber

bren4220, Brewski and kbuzz like this.
  10. Matthouse3

Matthouse3 Initiate (131) Jun 29, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I wouldn't let that go for anything less than Don Q..

jeevo and Preluderl like this.
  11. Mcj6986

Mcj6986 Initiate (148) Dec 14, 2013 Ohio
    Trader

You guys sure know how to beat the hell out of a dead horse, resurrect it and beat it again!

PSU_Mike likes this.
  12. Mcj6986

Trader

I did send a buddy a fatheads sandwich with juju last month tho since he loved it so much. Held up well in a box to VA, should have thrown in one of these as an extra now if I would have thought of it.

13. noslenwerd

noslenwerd Initiate (0) Sep 28, 2009 Pennsylvania

To add to everyone's suggestions...

I also think having a bit smaller pours on the limited stuff would be a good way to spread the love, as well as making sure all people serving beer limit it to 2 pours per person, and it can't be the same beer. ie: 2x pours of Black Magick.

Maybe it is overkill, but I honestly wouldn't mind seeing the "corralling" of the line very similar to how we purchased the tickets/allotments. Have most of the bartenders focus on that line, and have 1 or 2 at the main bar for closing out tabs, second rounds etc.

EDIT: Also.. pre-pours! I think pouring off 25ish of each limited beer would help move things along quicker.

#12653 noslenwerd, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  14. Brewski

Brewski Devotee (436) Jul 22, 2012 Pennsylvania

Sorry man, I couldn't resist.

Mcj6986 and tommyguz like this.
  15. KevBot89

KevBot89 Disciple (399) Feb 21, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Advice for future releases: don't do smaller pours.

Also, maybe @london1o1 can explain, but there was a roped off section near the far side of the bar. I thought it was for a line to get beers, I don't know though. If it wasn't for lines, what purpose did this roped section serve?

I personally thought things were fine, given the circumstances...but I got there early enough and tried everything. Even had a seat at the bar that some of you guys want to eliminate. Don't do that either.

Get there earlier.

16. noslenwerd

Yeah at the end of the day I think everything was fine (no major complanits), but every beer release I have been to could always be a bit better. Overall had a great time and it was a great event.

STG228 likes this.
  17. fiver29

fiver29 Devotee (411) Sep 18, 2007 Ohio
    Trader

@voodoobrewery you guys make awesome beer. And do the best job you can. I wasn't able to attend. FWIW, I've been to several release types that include tickets for a certain number of pours. Most recently was BA Blackout at Great Lakes. They handed out tickets for anywhere from a 2 or a 5 oz pour for each ticket type. You know how much beer is in the keg and can easily figure out how many tickets will satisfy the kegs you have on hand for the event.

I went to a Founders CBS release recently. They sold tickets in person about a month before the event. Same idea. You can show up anytime during operating hours for your pours of the release beers. Since the announcement of the tickets being sold didn't sell out that night they sold the rest of the tickets when the event opened.

18. Aiden9

Aiden9 Initiate (0) Nov 20, 2015 Pennsylvania

Did I miss something?

19. london1o1

london1o1 Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2003 Pennsylvania

We actually did pre-pour like 25-30 BMs, as well as some glasses of the other stuff. They disappeared pretty much immediately.

20. sposter4

sposter4 Zealot (541) Mar 26, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

[​IMG]

Couldn't wait anymore... this beer is above and beyond as delicious as I hoped. Great job Voodoo!!

Crisb184, Rodosman, Brown120 and 4 others like this.
  21. Mcj6986

Trader

amazing stuff... so complex and rich

Brown120, sposter4 and london1o1 like this.
  22. jeevo

jeevo Aspirant (229) Nov 1, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Regarding how the event went, I wasn't there at open so I didn't experience first hand how it went, but I think with a limited release like this, you can't expect everything to run picture perfect. I mean, Saturday's Barrel Room Release was basically the Black Friday for beer geeks within an 100 mile radius. I would imagine that the bartenders at Voodoo felt like the cashiers at a Wal-Mart on Black Friday for that first hour.

tommyguz, OneDropSoup and Matthouse3 like this.
  23. PA-Michigander

PA-Michigander Poo-Bah (1,806) Nov 10, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Would you give it a 6 out of 5?

Syracuse12 and sposter4 like this.
  24. nhindian

nhindian Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2010 Pennsylvania

Probably their PCBW event.

25. barflybastard

barflybastard Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2012 Pennsylvania

In other news:

[​IMG]

Tmwright7 likes this.
  26. HobBuggins

HobBuggins Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2016 Pennsylvania

A random question, what is the appeal to us layfolk of the Beer Olympics? I keep seeing social media posts about it but it looks like it is just an event for the brewers. So I can pay $20 to go watch a bunch of people that I don't know compete in events? This would be cool if people could sign up to be involved, but why would I want to go? Am I missing something?

Oh, I get a t-shirt.....

Stigs and dtx00 like this.
  27. Hoprider

Hoprider Initiate (109) Feb 1, 2009 Pennsylvania

Reminds me of an episode of bar rescue.....any episode.

28. CAngelo

CAngelo Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2016 Pennsylvania

Earlier this month there was mention in here about a stout event at the shady side market district. Does anyone got the day and time on that? Sorry didnt have the time to go back through the old posts. Cheers.

29. chekyo4

chekyo4 Initiate (67) Sep 26, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

April 19 from 4-7. I believe these were the beers mentioned:

Goose Island - BCBS
    Fat Heads - BA Battle Axe
    Lost Abbey - Track 10
    Voodoo - Grande Negro Voodoo Papi
    Green Flash - Unblended Silva Stout (aged with coffee beans)
    Oscar Blues - Brandy Barrel Aged G'Knight

TarHeelPanther and randylangford like this.
  30. noslenwerd

Sorry for spamming you guys if you have already seen this shared on other sites/groups, but we are close to our stretch goal.

We put together a raffle for a good friend of mine who lost his brother-in-law in the Wilkinsburg shootings. All proceeds will go to his sister as she was a stay at home mom, and has no source of income now.

Lots of great bottles, cthulhu, gnvp, cognac bo and luke, hommage, rye BM etc.

http://pghcharityraffle.org/

31. TheKingOfLimbs

TheKingOfLimbs Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2011 Pennsylvania

Glasses or growlers? :grimacing:

steeltown71 and randylangford like this.
  32. Mcj6986

Trader

Is today Manbearpigs coming out party? Trade posts littered everywhere... damn. Everyone wants a taste of that mythical creature.

33. randylangford

randylangford Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

Flight of a 4oz pour of each then glasses only.

PMike and TheKingOfLimbs like this.
  34. Grodd87

Grodd87 Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2014 Pennsylvania

Randy there u go again out doing yourself. This is at a grocery store where u can get a flight of great ba beer for a would assume a great price

randylangford likes this.
  35. chekyo4

Trader

barflybastard likes this.
  36. CAngelo

CAngelo Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2016 Pennsylvania

At fatheads now and just got a pour of the Super Juicy Juju...holy shit.

That nose is just straight orange and it's beautiful. First sip and it's amazing, you get the juju but the citrus follows through. Somehow this is 9.6?! I could drink it all day (or for like an hour til I passed out). Top drawer here fatheads

london1o1 and barflybastard like this.
  37. barflybastard

barflybastard Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2012 Pennsylvania

Don't think so; think there is a possible June date? Still interested here.

Dogleg and chekyo4 like this.
  38. zhoss24

zhoss24 Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2015 Pennsylvania

I'm in for 8 on this.

noslenwerd likes this.
  39. chekyo4

Trader

As am I.

Dogleg likes this.
  40. Dogleg

Dogleg Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2014 Pennsylvania