Pittsburgh - New Beers & Local Breweries

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by brewgentlemen, Jun 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Preluderl

Preluderl Pooh-Bah (1,710) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Trader

The choices made by bars and shops around here are definitely unique.

dtx00 and troygreer like this.
  2. troygreer

troygreer Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Deactivated

I think I know a few people heading to Chicago for the event. If any of those people get an extra bottle or two at the event we should just agree to have a bottle share which includes those bottles.

3. McMatt7

McMatt7 Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2014 Pennsylvania

#jalapenobaconcheddarrolls God Damn i love their jalapeno bacon cheddar rolls.

BCBS, Caliente, Shadyside, Penn Brewery.

4. jeevo

jeevo Pundit (952) Nov 1, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

When all is said and done, Caliente will probably be "selling" a bottle of BCBS for $35 or so (assuming 4 pours from each bottle for $9+ a pour). That's insane.

#6684 jeevo, Nov 17, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
    troygreer likes this.
  5. dtx00

dtx00 Savant (1,054) Oct 21, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Just so Im understanding this right, you have to buy a ticket to get into this event at the bar, and tickets go on sale at 10:30 Friday? Does that mean that Caliente is closed to the public that day? Not that I am going, but how does one buy a ticket to said event?

Also I guess I retract my earlier statement about places holding back 14 BCBS, althought it still seems isolated to the Pittsburgh area. (I apologize that I am not researching other events in other cities, but still havent run across anything saying other cities events have this available).

troygreer likes this.
  6. dadavat

dadavat Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2015 Pennsylvania

No they sell individual tickets for small pours (~5 oz) for like $8 a piece. It's a pretty fair way to do it when that place is packed I guess, but they make out like bandits.

7. Preluderl

Pooh-Bah Trader

I love BCBS, but I don't think a 5oz pour of anything is worth dealing with that mess.

Dogleg, kbuzz and barflybastard like this.
  8. DeutschesBier

DeutschesBier Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2009 Maryland

I don't think any beer is worth dealing with any of this mess.

Dogleg, OneDropSoup, kbuzz and 2 others like this.
  9. Matthouse3

Matthouse3 Zealot (528) Jun 29, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Yeah let's make those selfish pricks share! I got my pitchfork ready.

10. troygreer

troygreer Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Deactivated

My guess is that they got a keg as well but they are going to sit on it (like a lot of places did last year)

11. nhindian

nhindian Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2010 Pennsylvania

greg4579, kbuzz and mikebezek like this.
  12. mikebezek

mikebezek Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2015 Pennsylvania

Shadyside Beer ‏@Shadyside_Beer 2m2 minutes ago

Black Friday allotments:
    2 bcbs 2015
    2 bcbs 2014
    1 bcbbw 2015
    1 bcbbw 2014
    Choice of 1 bcbrr or 1 bcbcs
    While supplies last.

Matthouse3, smo and greg4579 like this.
  13. Preluderl

Pooh-Bah Trader

Limit two on BCBS 14 and 15 isn't bad for these parts.

14. Cat-Licks

Cat-Licks Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2014 Pennsylvania

When I just read that on twitter I totally took it as the entire store got 2 bottles of each haha

smo likes this.
  15. tommyguz

tommyguz Initiate (0) May 14, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I know most of you don't care about Pittsburgh North, but news from Erie is Lavery's holiday seasonal, Devil Bird, is coming out this week. It's one I enjoy to get each year

[​IMG]

Dogleg, OneDropSoup, McMatt7 and 2 others like this.
  16. Preluderl

Pooh-Bah Trader

Does that see distro down to Pgh? I've never noticed it.

tommyguz likes this.
  17. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Zealot (707) Feb 26, 2012 Pennsylvania

Yep, awesome beer. They're also barrel aging their Ulster Breakfast Stout for a release late on.

And I don't know if it goes to Pittsburgh. I've seen it on shelves of Giant Eagle and Wegmans around here, so I know it at least gets distributed locally. I'd put money on Carson Street Deli getting some.

tommyguz likes this.
  18. kbuzz

kbuzz Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2011 North Carolina

Thanks for the tip! I'm a fan of this beer...especially at the price..but only if this bottle has white wax at the top like previous years. :grinning: I'll be up in Erie for Thanksgiving and am hoping to see it on Wegman's shelves again...

tommyguz likes this.
  19. tommyguz

tommyguz Initiate (0) May 14, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I don't know what color they will use this year. I think they used Red the last two years (or maybe I am wrong). I agree it's a really great Porter. I wish there was more barrel character the last couple years, but for the price, it is awesome.

I usually grab a couple, so if you don't see it on your trip, I will be in the area for Thanksgiving, so hit me up before you drive past Meadville. I may run up to Lavery this weekend and grab one or two before it hits Wegman's. I like to usually buy stuff from the breweries themselves before resorting to Wegman's even if it's a buck or so more.

kbuzz likes this.
  20. kbuzz

kbuzz Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2011 North Carolina

Agree that it's not the most barrel-forward BA beer, but again...for the price and availability, I def enjoy it.

Thanks for the offer, man - definitely appreciated. If I don't see it around, I'll hit you up...I'd probably be making my way back through Meadville Friday morning/early afternoon...

tommyguz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.