Pizza Boy Brewing

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by PA-Michigander, Mar 19, 2017.

1. PA-Michigander

PA-Michigander Meyvn (1,407) Nov 10, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I don't believe that they have their own thread yet, but their recent decision to sell their beer at rock bottom prices deserves mention.

[​IMG]

That's a case of one of the best non-barrel aged coffee stouts in the country and perhaps Pizza Boy's best IPA in 16 ounce cans for $50. Other breweries are charging $80-$150 for similar beers.

Cheers to Al for making a great decision for prudent beer buyers in south central PA.

2. pinyin

pinyin Disciple (311) Sep 19, 2013 New York

one of the best breweries in PA. I wish they still brewed Eternal Sunshine.

3. onthebusin03

onthebusin03 Initiate (132) Jan 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

The Spandex is just a tiny bit below the cans of Murren. Really hate having these affordable and delicious beers shoved in my face every time I go. It's easing the sting of no more Tired Hands crowlers, at least a little.

As for Eternal Sunshine, that is going to be canned soon, I believe.

pinyin likes this.
  4. makalarch

makalarch Disciple (312) Jul 31, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber Beer Trader

A case of sunny side up for $50, that's nuts, I still haven't had another coffee stout like it. This isn't a sign of things not being so great there right?

5. onthebusin03

I haven't seen/heard anything there that would indicate any trouble. As of March 1, they operate under a brewery license rather than their old license, so they're only doing to go for their beers and are limited to PA only on tap. Also no longer bound by the 192 oz rule...

Apparently, they're planning on doing canning runs every other week.

6. Budlum

Budlum Savant (902) Mar 23, 2006 Maryland
    Subscriber Beer Trader

If Al's middle finger to the PLCB is $50 cases of Sunny Side Up, I really hope someone else pisses him off, too.

VABA, citizencane, Rorshak16 and 6 others like this.
  7. Vizualize

Vizualize Initiate (166) Jun 13, 2014 New York

Al's isn't trouble at all. They sold their commercial license and now operate as a brewery. No more crowlers/growlers of non pizza boy beers and no more other brewery sixers to go, a bunch of the coolers along the wall have even been removed. As stated before, they're going to be canning fresh beer every 2 weeks and charging normal prices. No $24 4x pack BS like some other PA breweries. I got a mixed 6 pack of the 3 cans just released and they're all damn good. Eternal Sunshine is on the way too. There was a post somewhere that listed the next 6 cans or so. Can't remember where I saw it.

8. onthebusin03

Think it was mybeerbuzz that had those can varieties, which Al then retweeted. Maybe not 100% confirmation, but you know how that goes...

9. Vizualize

Vizualize Initiate (166) Jun 13, 2014 New York

Yup, MyBeerBuzz.

Blue Collar Lager (5.3%-AbV)
    Hop Test # 1 IPA (7.5%-AbV)
    Keystoner wheat IPA (6.3%-AbV)
    Eternal Sunshine dry-hopped sour (5.2%-AbV)
    Moonstomp Berliner Weisse sour ale (5%-AbV)
    Sour Murren River sour IPA (7.4%-AbV)
    Spandex Glitter and Egos IPA (6%-AbV)

Sign me up for Eternal Sunshine, Moonstomp, & Sour Murren River!

10. onthebusin03

Didn't care all that much for the first run of Moonstomp, but who am I kidding? I'll likely grab a six pack. Didn't they say this batch was, gasp, double dry hopped?

11. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (4,085) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber

Nice to see a brewery bucking the trend. I wish some breweries in SEPA would follow this example. All of the newer smaller breweries have been following Tired Hands' lead with crazy pricing on 4-packs, with no case discounts, etc.

It's not nuts when you consider the brewery is getting the whole retail price. If they distributed the same beer and sold it wholesale for $50, the wholesaler and retailer might mark it up 30% each, for a retail price of $84.

Pizza Boy gets $50 either way. The downside is pissing off local retailers, if they still plan on distributing beers as well. No local shop would carry their beer if they are undercutting the retail prices.

12. Hoprider

Hoprider Initiate (135) Feb 1, 2009 Pennsylvania

I knew I heard that name before...East End Brewing also has/had a Berliner called Moonstomp.

13. onthebusin03

It is a collaboration. Same beer.

Mounty4Life likes this.
  14. makalarch

makalarch Disciple (312) Jul 31, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber Beer Trader

You're absolutely right I'm just used to paying double that from breweries over here near philly...

15. jojo2112

jojo2112 Initiate (128) Sep 24, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Are the cans from last week still available?

16. onthebusin03

17. SRBush1974

SRBush1974 Disciple (365) Apr 18, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I was out near there for my son's ice hockey tournament this past weekend and stopped by for lunch/beers on Friday. I saw last week that the canning was pushed back so I hoped it would be when I was there. Glad it was!

I didn't know they were 16 oz cans in a 6 pack! Amazing deal! I should have picked up more than just a mix 6. All 3 beers were good but Spandex was really great and Sunny Side Up was even better. I'm used to $100+ per case. For $100, you get a case of a great double IPA and a case of a stout, both fantastic? Well done!

18. onthebusin03

Just to be precise, not sure I would call Spandex a double IPA, but your broader point remains... One of the better ways you could spend $100, hands down.

Actually, Spandex being at 6% makes it an even better deal than if it were a DIPA at 8+%, if you ask me...

19. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Initiate (95) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

$50 for a case of SSU 16 oz cans? I know where I'm going Friday.

RyanMcFly1985 likes this.
  20. DrBier

DrBier Poo-Bah (1,516) Jun 12, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber

Al has always been more than fair with his pricing. 64 oz growlers of DIPAs for $10-12. Never felt overcharged on guest drafts, bottle pricing of non-pizza boy beers always fair. In fact last year when Al got a palate of Sip of Sunshine 4 packs were only slightly more than you would've paid in Vermont. I did bitch a bit at Al's initial sour beer bottle pricing but the beers were great and pricing has actually come down, so I shut up. All Hail the King of Beer in Central PA. Big fan. 260+ PB beers and counting. Really happy to be able to get cans to share regularly with people outside the Pizza sphere.

Tmwright7 and PA-Michigander like this.
  21. onthebusin03

Small complaint, but that is one of the things I'll miss... nothing like walking in on a random day and being tipped to the news of a Lawson's can drop or a Wicked Weed shipment on its way. Good times.

22. BeastOfTheNortheast

Just picked myself up a case to split with my brother:

Pizza Boy Sunny Side Up

SammyJaxxxx and PA-Michigander like this.
  23. Adrena1ine

Adrena1ine Aspirant (240) Nov 22, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Hoping another bottled sour drops soon.

24. beernuts

beernuts Disciple (386) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Does Pizza Boy make pizza too or is that just a nickname? If so, is the pizza any good?

25. BeastOfTheNortheast

They do. I believe Al broke off from his family's business if I have the story correct. Their food is actually really good especially the pizza.

Rorshak16 and beernuts like this.
  26. onthebusin03

I don't believe there was any break, just an expansion of the existing pizza business to include beer, and later on it included their own beer. Though maybe it always included some beer, not sure on that...

The pizza is pretty good. Nothing mind blowing, but I've eaten it before and I'll eat it again...

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  27. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (1,927) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Beer Trader

I got a growler of the Sunny Side Up and brought back to MD to share with friends. It is one of the best coffee stouts ever IMO. 6 pack 16oz cans for $16 is a great deal. Think about it, Ten Fidy 12oz 6er's usually run $15-$16 in MD for a reasonable apples/apples price comparison.

28. BeastOfTheNortheast

Hey, maybe he will barrel age the SSU and sell for a few bucks more.

Adrena1ine likes this.
  29. jojo2112

Beer Trader

I'm from NJ so I know good pizza and Pizza Boy is probably the closest I've found in the central PA area to being NY/NJ level. No, it's not quite at that level, but great pizza in central PA is hard to come by.

Their wings are also awesome.

30. PA-Michigander

PA-Michigander Meyvn (1,407) Nov 10, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Even better if you get a case and pay only $12.50 per six pack.

31. BeastOfTheNortheast

Agreed. Thinking of going back and getting a case of the IPA. Such a deal.

32. onthebusin03

Pretty sure BBASSU is coming...

33. BeastOfTheNortheast

In cans?

34. onthebusin03

Not sure. They have canned it before, though.

35. Rorshak16

Rorshak16 Initiate (123) Oct 18, 2016 Maryland

That would be awesome

36. BeastOfTheNortheast

According to Facebook and Instagram, there isn't much left of the SSU and IPA. Get them while you can.

37. jojo2112

Beer Trader

10 cases of Spandex and 25 cases of SSU as of this morning. Was hoping to pick some up later tonight. Looking dicey.

38. BeastOfTheNortheast

They were running low last night I know, but apparently they are canning every two weeks anyways. That's good stuff.

39. jojo2112

Beer Trader

Anyone know if any Spandex or SSU cans are still left? I guess I could call...

40. BeastOfTheNortheast

I'm assuming SSU yes and Spandex no by the amounts posted this morning.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.