Pliny the Elder around Portland

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Phobicsquirrel, Nov 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phobicsquirrel

Phobicsquirrel Zealot (508) Oct 1, 2013 Oregon
    Trader

Just a heads up Belmont Station has it 1 bottle limit though. mules welcomed, lol.

2. anteater

anteater Champion (822) Sep 10, 2012 Oregon
    Trader

Thanks for the heads up. I think Beermongers has it right now too, they tweeted that they just got in "some hoppy beer from California". On another note, has anybody ever gotten Pliny from Whole Foods in the Pearl? I know they at least used to get it every 4-6 weeks and keep it in the back but my timing must always be awful. Is it possible?

3. Phobicsquirrel

Trader

they may, but maybe one needs the secret handshake.....

4. exitmusic00

exitmusic00 Initiate (102) Mar 15, 2010 Oregon

I used to wonder the same thing...and then I was there today and the beer guy randomly cruised through the walk-in cooler and said he had Pliny in the back if anybody wanted any. True story. :slight_smile:

5. w_klon

w_klon Initiate (93) Aug 1, 2012 Oregon
    Trader

All Whole Foods get a 2 case allotment when it hits distro. They almost NEVER put it out, unless its one of the slower stores. The Pearl store certainly has no problem moving Pliny, so it's just a matter of stopping in when they get it in and ask for it. With that said, generally places like Belmont Station and Beermongers get their new beers sooner than the grocers. If Pliny just hit Belmont and Mongers, WF should be getting it within the week. Just call or stop in and talk to the beer buyer and he'll tell you when their delivery days are.

6. goodbyeohio

goodbyeohio Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2004 Oregon

Everyone in town gets it within a 7 day period, typically... so if you hear its out on Monday at place #1, i wouldn't bother looking for it the following Tuesday

7. AudiSline

AudiSline Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2013 Oregon

Hop and Vine had it, as of this wed at least. No handshake required....

8. NWer

NWer Champion (809) Mar 10, 2009 Washington

Belmont Station had it as of this afternoon (minus 2) In the cooler bottom shelf back section.

9. Phobicsquirrel

Trader

they lifted the 1 limit?

10. NWer

Wife bought one I bought one

11. Phobicsquirrel

Trader

nice

12. csano

csano Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2010 Washington

Wife "bought" 1, he bought another.

distantmantra likes this.
  13. NWer

Did I misspell?

14. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Initiate (130) Jun 3, 2005 Oregon

My wife buys and loves PtE.

15. digita7693

digita7693 Devotee (404) Jan 19, 2010 Germany
    Trader

There are places in PDX without 1 btl limits, and regularly have it...

16. Phobicsquirrel

Trader

really? come on man that's like a horrible cliff hanger

17. w_klon

w_klon Initiate (93) Aug 1, 2012 Oregon
    Trader

Yeah, like the places with TWO bIttle limits :wink:

18. IPAguy2009

IPAguy2009 Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2010 Oregon

Great tasting beer, but there are much better doubles out there. Why does everyone worship this beer so? Is it the brewery's marketing strategy of product deprivation to their customers? smh, lame!

19. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,796) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

I'm with you on this, and I'll add an additional observation.

I like PtE a lot, but as you point out, there are plenty of other excellent, much more easily obtainable DIPA's. Consequently, if I want a glass of PtE, I usually get it on tap at a bar (sometimes 16 tons will let you get a growler or half growler, but it tends to be expensive if you go that route), as there are plenty of places that carry it in town (16 tons just threw on a fresh keg here in Eugene). Sure, I understand the appeal of drinking a beer you enjoy at home, and so that's where the "other equally as good or better" DIPA's comes into play.

So I'm with you on this... even the few times I see bottles available (which is pretty rare, and there's always a one or two bottle limit), I leave them there on the shelf for those who (for whateve reason) seem to get a lot more excited about the prospect of finding them there.

20. IPAguy2009

IPAguy2009 Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2010 Oregon

Ya i recommend to those of you who have not had it, definitely give it a go, BUT dont expect a tear to come to your eye like everyone has led you to believe. SOOOO many other doubles I can name that I would rather pick instead of PtE. Still would love to give PtY a try someday however....

21. CaylorSwift

CaylorSwift Initiate (0) Oct 20, 2013 Oregon

Try checking out "Bottles" up on NE Fremont.

Last time I checked, 2 months ago, they were soaked in Pliny.

digita7693 likes this.
  22. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Disciple (312) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon

That shouldn't be a problem. There are at least 6 or 7 places in Portland that get kegs every year. Horse Brass, Higgins, Saraveza, Apex, Wildwood, and the Station are all likely bets. Some places like HB and Apex just throw it on tap and deal with the chaos of "first come, first served", and other places do ticketed events. Keep an eye on the forums for the inevitable "where to find PtY" thread and you should have plenty of opportunities to drink it.

Last year the Brass put it on tap alongside PtY, Notorious, and a bunch of other huge beers, and it was fun doing side by side comparisons. The general consensus of the group I was with was that Notorious was better, but the highlight for me was having a "black and tan" comprised of half PtY and half Suge Knight. I'm still not sure how I managed to walk home...

sharpski, zestd and IPAguy2009 like this.
  23. CaylorSwift

Jus got back from Belmont an they have PtE in the cooler, limit 1 per person. FYI

24. TheAbyss

TheAbyss Initiate (0) Apr 6, 2013 Washington

Anybody know if its still in portland? Going to portland thursday

25. CaylorSwift

Heading back to Belmont today around 5pm. I'll post here if its still around. Otherwise, try calling "Bottles" in NE -they are pretty good about having it from what I can remember.

26. TheAbyss

Roger that. Thanks

27. maltmaster420

We sold out on Sunday.

28. TheAbyss

Whole foods??

29. Phobicsquirrel

Trader

beer mongers might still have it...

30. PetitChouffe

PetitChouffe Initiate (101) Sep 28, 2009 Washington

Ooooh, I'm going to pdx tomorrow and would love to grab some. Been kinda missing it around here in sea.

31. ottodyer

ottodyer Aspirant (283) Oct 27, 2009 Minnesota
    Trader

Cheese Bar had some last night

32. CaylorSwift

as of yesterday, beer mongers had it on tap, no bottles.

33. CaylorSwift

I take that back. BeerMongers still has Pliny on tap as of today. Just finished a pint.

34. Phobicsquirrel

Trader

that's cool might have to have some tomorrow. no bottles though right?

35. CaylorSwift

No bottles at BM, but they did have the new Enjoy By if you're a fan of that. 1 bottle limit per customer though.

I know Belmont had Pliny on tap as of yesterday as well, don't know if it lasted through the night or will last the day, but I plan on heading over to snag the last pint if its there around 4 today. So don't drink it all, please.

36. Phobicsquirrel

Trader

Well that's cool it's on tap a few places.

37. digita7693

digita7693 Devotee (404) Jan 19, 2010 Germany
    Trader

The paucity of quality ipas in the Portland area, which in turn requires one to chase after Pliny, is quite mortifying. ;(

DimensionX likes this.
  38. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,796) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

No disrespect to either phobicsquirrel or caylorswift, but they're both fairly new to BA, and so I assume are not all that familiar with the beer scene in PDX. After a bit I think they'll both discover that while it's often difficult to find bottles of PtE, the draft version is relatively easy to around town, and so doesn't require any special effort to obtain. Personally, I've always been a big fan of PtE, but given how (relatively) easy it is to find around town, and how many other outstanding local options there are in town, it's pretty hard to imagine going out of my way or making a special effort to get some.

Shrug. That being said, PtE is a highly rated and highly regarded DIPA, and for someone who hasn't had a chance to try it before (or very often), I can absolutely understand their excitement over the prospect of getting some. So I wish them nothing but luck in finding it around town, and I hope they enjoy it when they get it.

39. maltmaster420

It should be pouring for at least another couple of days. It's been on since Sunday, and while it normally only lasts about 3 days it's moving a little slower this time because people are being distracted by the Barley Brown's WFO and the Bend Hop Head.

On another note, Enjoy By should be on tap today as well.

40. chinochino

chinochino Initiate (100) Jul 29, 2013 Washington

I quite agree. The last couple of PtE's have been in draft form during my most recent forays to your fair state. Personally, I think it taste better on draft. If I find bottles, I'll purchase them only for trade purposes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.