1. Introducing the Respect BeerĀ® Society. Upgrading your account to a Society membership entitles you to more than a dozen awesome perks, from discounts, to ad-free browsing, extended users stats, and much more. Join today.
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Pliny the Elder lover looking for a second relationship

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by IPA_Chris, Jan 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrSheps

MrSheps Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2014 California

Hoptologist reminds me of Pliny. But, and this is a long thread, so it may have been mentioned already, but for anyone in the LA area Hop Tanker from El Segundo is quite good, but it's popular and starting to become hard to find. The recent single hop focused beers from Nobel Works- Citra Showers and Nelson Showers- have been awesome, I expect they'll start releasing of the two (or one that follows) on a regular basis based on the reaction.

Basically, Pliny is great but if you're in CA, be it North or South these days, finding a Pliny substitute is not hard.

2. BubalooBrewMaster

BubalooBrewMaster Disciple (375) Feb 24, 2013 Nevada
    Trader

One word: Simtra

Knee_Deep_Fan likes this.
  3. crowellbw

crowellbw Aspirant (252) Dec 1, 2010 Washington

You need to do these blind. We did it and found:

Heady >= Pure Hoppiness > Pliny the Elder

It is blatantly obvious when you go blind. Pliny just tastes like water next to the other two. Still love the stuff, but it is forever engrained in my mind and you really notice how light it is.

The easiest year-round substitute in NorCal is Hoptologist IMO. Sucks is too sweet for a true replacement.

4. sphyrn

sphyrn Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2013 Connecticut

Oh my goodness, look at this west coast nonsense.

You may not like Budweiser, unless your'e Shaun Hill apparently, but it is a perfect example of the style. PTE is the perfect example of the style, like the standard for a dog show.

As for an IPA/ IIPA, you have to only look on the east coast. Honestly, Heady isn't even in my top 10.

Abner, Ephraim, Double Galaxy, Society and Solitude 4, Susan, Julius, Green, Gandhi Bot, Fuzzy Baby Ducks, Coriolis.

If you cannot find an amazing beer for yourself out of those 10, you probably should move to wine.

5. Jay_Ulreich

Jay_Ulreich Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2014 Indiana

Tried Hop Ranch today! It is AMAZING!!!! I second this. My dad better be happy I gave him one! :slight_smile:

6. MrSheps

Agreed, if it's fresh. If you get it more than 3 or 4 weeks old it loses a lot and is almost tough to drink. I'm not that much of a "has to be two weeks or less guy" but for Simtra I kinda am.

7. MrSheps

East Coast DIPAs are usually maltier, no? That's the big difference to me. I love them too, but they seem quite different than the CA DIPAs to me-- I'm not sure they shouldn't be two separate styles.

8. sphyrn

I really don't think there malty. Double Sunshine is, but that's about it. Kern Citra and others are supra malty though.

The really well crafted IIPA's have such a subtle malt backbone, you can barely tell its there. Just like movies with 3 parts, or acts, so too is a beer. The crisp fruity bite moves right through the malty middle and finishes bitterly strong.

As to the OP, I didnt say this earlier, and I dont think anyone else had, but there is this real thing called the lupulin shift "when a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian." Seems like it completely describes the OP. Guess who coined this phenomenon? Vinnie Cilurzo of Russian River.

9. pixieskid

pixieskid Crusader (787) Jun 4, 2009 Germany

As much as I absolutely hate this saying, I can't help but think it applies "first world problems". Dude, 2 hours from the brewery. There is no reason you can't get up there every other week and stock up. I travel to Paris (3 hour train one way) every other week...If Pliny is your absolute favorite beer and you enjoy it so much, just drive up there and buy cases of it at the brewery; simple as that.

10. dougfur

dougfur Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2011 New York

I've had Pliny as fresh as 6 days from the bottling date and I just don't get it. It's good, but to my taste buds, it's been completely eclipsed by beers like Heady, KRcitra, Abner, Gandhi-Bot, etc. I can't even see putting them in the same catergory, even though they're all DIPA's. If the more subtle, "balanced" approach to an IPA is what you're after, I'd say Sculpin and Lunch are the two most similar beers that I can think of. Obviously, Sculpin will be a lot easier to get for you...

11. Knee_Deep_Fan

Knee_Deep_Fan Initiate (0) Nov 20, 2013 California

HELLarious...

12. ltltony

ltltony Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2012 Michigan

Hopslam is my favorite, but it's not similar and won't be that much easier to score. Enjoy By and Sucks might be the ones to go for.

13. sphyrn

LUPULIN SHIFT "when a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian. -Vinnie Cilruzo, Russian River

14. NickDrista

NickDrista Initiate (123) Mar 14, 2013 Massachusetts

I agree on pte. Half way through the taste isn't as strong as the 1st sip....heady is...hands down for me heady > blind pig > pte.

15. BobsLiquors

BobsLiquors Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2013 Washington

We did six double IPAs blind. Heady, Pliny, Hopslam, Hop Ranch, Myrcenary, and Hop Venom. Heady was ~ 6 weeks out, Pliny was 4 weeks... 8 people rated, and only one knew which beers were included, but that person did taste blind. PtE and Hop Venom rated out the best. The other four were fighting for 3rd, and it wasn't close. I'll admit, the first time I had Pliny was the weekend before, and thought it was "meh". But I rated it out the best in a blind setting...

16. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,709) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I love fresh PTE too, but I'd look for Alpine brews if your in SoCal.

17. HRamz3

HRamz3 Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2010 Pitcairn

Obvious answer: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/32559/103651/

18. BrettHead

BrettHead Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

I'll never understand the love for PtE...There's easily 10 other IPA's/DIPA's I rather have over it.

And that's with only counting Abrasive 3 times :grinning:

#178 BrettHead, Feb 14, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  19. Iriepirate21

Iriepirate21 Initiate (84) May 2, 2012 California

Any Alpine IPA is better than Pliny. And I LOVE Pliny. Nelson could be the best IPA on the planet.

BrettHead likes this.
  20. BrettHead

BrettHead Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

So true..That beer is amazing.

21. papat444

papat444 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2006 Quebec (Canada)

ISO week old Simtra :slight_smile:

22. sreilly

sreilly Initiate (0) May 20, 2013 California

I have not seen any mention of Heretic's "Evil Cousin", which if I'm not mistaken is named that because of it's closeness to PTE.

23. papat444

papat444 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2006 Quebec (Canada)

I actually saw it somewhere buried in this thread.

laglocal likes this.
  24. sreilly

sreilly Initiate (0) May 20, 2013 California

My Bad. It's really a good everyday comparable beer.

25. Keffa

Keffa Zealot (588) Jan 8, 2009 Ohio

Out of all the Cali stuff I've had, Simtra takes the cake. That beer is legit.

26. laglocal

laglocal Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2013 California

As previous poster told you, I dont think you looked closely enough. Also I'm pretty sure thats not why it is named Evil Cousin. Then, one would assume that Evil Twin would be the closest to PtE and its a hopped up amber. I think it has more to do with the title and overall theme of the brewery.

27. flayedandskinned

flayedandskinned Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2011 California

This guy knows whats up.

28. OMsweetOM

OMsweetOM Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2011 California

With so many exquisite CA IPAs and IIPAs, you testing the hoppy waters of what other brewers offer will no doubt leave an impression and perhaps change of heart to your preference for PtE.
    Aside from RR, having Alpine, Avery, Ballast Point, Beachwood, Bear Republic, Bootleggers, Coronado, Drakes, Kern, Knee Deep, Noble, Port and yes even Firestone and Stone at our disposal (well, Beachwood only in their backyard or via trade)... there is no shortage of awesomeness to be had. Enhanced plethora of choices if you can secure the solid options from our neighbor to the North. My favorite and fantastic IBUs from OR are from Deschutes (Hop Henge ftw), Ninkasi and if you're lucky: Barley Brown's and Boneyard (Hop Venom destroys PtE imo).

Get out there and experiment. There are too many great brews to have tunnel vision.

29. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2011 California

There is a love in your heart that I just can't understand. By the way. Why didn't you just say that you like Pliny and you were looking for another beer to drink?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.