Pliny The Younger 2018

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by dcgunman, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Resuin

Resuin Meyvn (1,293) Jun 18, 2012 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

To answer my own question, I see that the keg kicked in 20 minutes at Toronado.

Any line updates at the brewery today would be appreciated!

2. Bum4ever

Bum4ever Devotee (469) Jan 18, 2017 California
    Beer Trader

The RR IG account just posted video of the line. Looks like a 8 to 10 hour wait today.

3. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Devotee (407) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Just watched that video. Wow! Are all those people going to actually make it in today? I would never get in a line like that.

4. thuey

thuey Aspirant (252) Nov 13, 2015 California

Lasts about 20 minutes. Edit: Oops, you figured that out. That's pretty typical based on past years.

5. asong_net

asong_net Initiate (73) Jan 26, 2016 California
    Beer Trader

Lines probably about 140-150 ish right now

6. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Devotee (407) Dec 6, 2010 California

Crazy, this year is the biggest turnout for Younger ever.

7. asong_net

Beer Trader

Just made it in the first wave.. Pliny is tasting mighty good

Bum4ever likes this.
  8. hambone

hambone Aspirant (261) Apr 26, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

Any line updates at the brewery?

9. grilledsquid

grilledsquid Devotee (499) Jul 10, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Anyone know what the line's been like at 8pm?

10. hambone

Beer Trader

Just called and they said 3.5 hours but who knows. Anyone onsite can update us? Save me a little driving

grilledsquid likes this.
  11. ccwilli3

ccwilli3 Initiate (122) Oct 28, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

Got in twice over the past days, 3h10m wait on Thursday and 2h5m wait on Friday. I'll definitely be coming back next year for younger, I genuinely love that brewpub and it was good to see many of the same stuff as I knew 4-5 years ago.

12. westcoastbeergeek

westcoastbeergeek Aspirant (265) Sep 16, 2015 British Columbia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Most recent Friday line. Got there at 1pm, got in at 7pm. Saturday, got there at 8am, got in at 2:30 pm. Talked to people who arrived at 7 and they got in about 1pm. Seems on a weekend you are waiting 6+ hours either for them to open, or in the line or both. First week and a bit you drinking from the tanks, then they get into the kegs.

Both days got to sample 3 Youngers and did a full taster tray. It was great, weather was nice so waiting in line (especially with a chair) was actually pleasant at times. Peet's was even taking orders and delivering food and coffee. Another nice thing was you could order off sales and merch right from your server.

Once you get your hand stamped, you can leave one person in line to save your spot. You must be there for your hand stamp though, they'll give you a few minutes to get back to your party or else they get to go to the back of the line.

This was our table when we got our trays:

nvbrew, Hatzilla, _pat_ and 4 others like this.
  13. raynmoon

raynmoon Crusader (743) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

How much is Toronado charging for Younger?

14. Brent212

Brent212 Initiate (110) Jan 13, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

Waited about 40 minutes Thurs night, but got in line at 10:30, so pretty late.

Waited 7 frickin' hours Saturday with four others, but the line was fun and honestly felt like the time went by quicker than any of my previous visits (except, obviously, Thurs night). Love the feeling when you finally get in, and they're taking you to your table, knowing you've got three hours in front of you to enjoy the fuck out of everything they have to offer. Way better experience, IMO, than going solo and getting a short wait just to taste the beer.

As has been said a bunch at this point, the beer is not worth the wait, but the experience definitely can be.

15. nsps

nsps Initiate (121) Apr 22, 2016 Utah
    Beer Trader

I showed up around 6pm on day 1 and it only took two hours to get in. I've only had this year's and last year's, but it's quite lovely — still remarkably dry for the style.

16. angcolette

angcolette Initiate (143) Feb 20, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

$9 for a 10oz pour I believe.

17. Original_Fake

Original_Fake Aspirant (299) Nov 15, 2013 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Kegs will be hitting LA towards the end of this week. Seems like places are trying to keep things a bit more low key than previous years though.

18. thuey

The last two years it's been a 6 or 7oz pour, so I'm pretty sure it's not 10 this year.

19. raynmoon

Beer Trader

Thanks guys. Yeah I saw a photo, and it is 6oz pour for $9. For some reason I had a thought that it was $10-15, maybe for charity or something, so I had to ask.

20. angcolette

angcolette Initiate (143) Feb 20, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

oh 7oz at Toronado. How much do they charge at RRBC?

21. Bum4ever

Beer Trader

At RR it’s a 10oz pour for 5 bucks.

angcolette likes this.
  22. _pat_

_pat_ Initiate (37) Apr 26, 2016 California
    Beer Trader

I'm laughing at the thought of someone passing on a pour because of the price

nvbrew and jakecattleco like this.
  23. raynmoon

Beer Trader

I don't think they're passing when it's right in front of them, but maybe deterring them from making the trek out there.

jakecattleco likes this.
  24. hambone

Beer Trader

I’ll try roll up later tonight, if anyone happens to be in line this evening please drop an update

25. n2185

n2185 Poo-Bah (1,911) Apr 14, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Went at 8:30 p.m. Monday night and the line was still 1.5+ hours long. Came back at 10p.m. and still had to wait almost an hour to get in. Was planning on going again tonight but decided it wasn't worth it. PtY is a good beer and I can appreciate its important role in the IPA scene, but why people still wait hours in line for it year-after-year is a bit beyond me. With so many fantastic DIPAs out there now, I feel like you could put PtY in a line-up of top 2-3 tier DIPAs and most people wouldn't be able to pick it out. At this point they should just switch to having it on a regular rotation to reduce the clusterfuck that is the release. Given the constant crowd at RR throughout the year and the huge wine tourism of the city, I don't think they'll lose much business and their neighbors might be a lot happier. If they can keep a line-up of barrel-aged sours on tap and available in bottles year-round, they can easily keep a DIPA readily available.

raynmoon likes this.
  26. asong_net

Beer Trader

It's a TIPA not a DIPA... and from all accounts its a pain in the ass to make

27. n2185

Beer Trader

TIPA isn't a recognized style and its abv is well within the range with other DIPAs. When it was first released its abv was higher than most, but times have changed and there are 10-18% DIPAs everywhere now. I'm not saying it's the easiest beer to make or that it should be on constantly, but it'll take a lot to convince me that a brewery that can keep multiple barrel-aged sours on draft and in bottles year-round can't handle occasionally making Younger throughout the year. They could even have an event still in February if they wanted to release bottles and pay homage to the original events.

sponger likes this.
  28. John_M

John_M Moderator (6,007) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon

You're take is pretty much identical to mine, and in past years I've posted responses very similar to yours.

That being said, the best thing I can tell you is that everyone's expectations and wait tolerances are different. To my mind this sounds like a cross between insanity and some special place in hell, but that's just my personal opinion. At this point, I'm completely convinced that there are folks who actually enjoy the experience of getting in line at 7:00 in the morning, and then hanging out in line for 6 or 7 hours, chatting with like minded crazy peop***... er, sorry, I meant passionate beer consumers, waiting to get 30 ounces of a well made DIPA/TIPA (yes, I'm aware the taplist in general is pretty outstanding during younger release weeks, but most if not all of those other beers can be obtained during other times of the year when you don't have to wait 6 or 7 hours to get in). I would never do it (as I simply don't have that much free time, and I don't find anything fun or pleasurable about standing in line for 6 hours), but obviously, there are some folks who don't give it a second thought.

As for offering younger full time, I think Vinnie has made it pretty clear in the past that he has no interest in doing that. At least according to him, the beer is very difficult and time consuming to make, and they make virtually no money on the sale of it. I'm sure he's very proud of how well it's received and all the hype the beer receives, but my guess is that if he had his druthers, he'd probably discontinue making it all together (though given the outrage that would cause among passionate PtY fans, I'm sure that will never happen).

#188 John_M, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    NWer, redeemer and n2185 like this.
  29. Beerbom

Beerbom Zealot (583) Dec 20, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

I don’t know anything about O’Briens and how much they get but I know for a fact that my local hometown bar (pete’s brass rail in Danville California.. where Sully Sullenberger lives ; ) has gotten at least two kegs for multiple years in a row now. 428 people won the lottery (1200 entered) for a guaranteed, single 10 ounce pour this year (You beer nerds out there can run the math on that). Two standard size kegs contain about 4000 ounces of beer and from what I understand many more rare beers are released in sixtel kegs which is considerably less. So I guess my point is some places do get more than one keg. This place is a tiny hole in the wall but they’ve been serving pliny practically since it’s inception .

30. thuey

Because you yourself are the proof that people come back to it year after year, despite having had it before, despite perhaps there being tons of better options now. You chose to go and then leave. Others choose to go and then stay. But it's really the same coin.

(Me personally, I think it's the best TIPA or 10%+ ABV IPA period. But I wouldn't wait more than 30 minutes for it, and didn't feel the need to have it this year.)

Hatzilla likes this.
  31. dcgunman

dcgunman Crusader (732) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Fast forward to Younger 2019 > same discussion....2020, 2021.......every year this will be the same. I was there 6 or 7 or 8 years ago. I don't remember anymore. Nor do I care. It was good at the time. Been there, done that. Over & out. Zzzzzzzzzz........
    New peeps will discover the Younger, while some of us older folks who's been there and done the Younger is over it. And some will keep getting Younger year after year. Waiting in line 4 or 6+ hours again.

Hatzilla likes this.
  32. Bum4ever

Beer Trader

I certainly have not found all these great
    10% or higher DIPA’s out there. Most of the high abv ones I find are super sweet malt bombs. I personally think younger is the best one at being high abv, having huge hop flavor, and a dry finish.

Also standing in line for a few hours is how you look at it. If you treat it as having to wait hours for a beer, sure that seems crazy. If you treat it as an experience with other people who have similar interest as you, it’s not a bad way to kill an afternoon.

33. Foxyhops

Foxyhops Initiate (39) Sep 9, 2016 California
    Beer Trader

Did Younger in 2013 @ Hollingshead. Got there at 830, as they handed out tix at 1030. Cruises on over to TBC for some vintage RR sours and returned in line at 230. Got in a 4ish. Even though i didn’t spend my whole day in line, I have no intention of trying Younger again. As it is a great triple, I just have no intention of doing it again. There are way too many great beers now adays. I’m not missing out on anything.

34. John_M

Yes, I was clearly misinformed, though I'm surprised to hear stories like this. That tends to make me think that at last in California, there are more kegs of younger available than there are accounts that want it (as it's hard for me to imagine a distributor saying no to a retail customer who wants a keg of younger in favor of giving a place like Pete's two kegs and O'Brien's 4 kegs). At least in SEPA and Oregon (and Colorado as well, from what I've heard), there are far more accounts that want kegs of younger than there are kegs available. That's why no place in Oregon gets more than a single keg, and outside of Monks, I'm fairly certain that's the case in SEPA as well.

35. John_M

I've heard this explanation previously, and I understand where you're coming from. I don't disagree with your assessment, and I'm fairly sure it's how most folks rationalize their "younger experience." However...

I tend to look at this from an opportunity cost standpoint. I can make the hour drive each way to RR (for example - I'm sure for some folks the drive is less, and for many other folks, it's a lot more than an hour drive), and then kill an entire day in line and in the pub. Just so I can drink 3 glasses of younger.

Or, I can spend the day doing things with my wife, getting stuff done around the house, and maybe grabbing a couple of beers later in the day with some friends at a pub, watching Steph, Kevin, Draymond and the boys pound another hapless foe. I'm not saying the experience you describe is all that terrible, and in fact I can certainly see where it might be kind of fun (the drinking younger part would certainly be fun). That being said, the two experiences strike me as being so completely incomparable, it's simply unimaginable that I would ever choose the "going to RR" option.

My take is that if you're going to embrace the younger experience at RR, you have to really, really, really want to try younger, you have to see the whole getting there and standing in line as something of an adventure, and you have to be willing to earmark a considerable amount of your free time on the experience. When I consider my other options for a day off work, that's just not something I'm ever going to opt to do.

36. n2185

Beer Trader

That's a good point; it often seems more about the experience. I get the waiting in line appeal when you can crack bottles and the like, though less so. The longer I drink beer and the more craft beer explodes, the less patience I have for lines for one or two specific beers, I suppose. Which makes it more frustrating when it seems every new brewery thinks it needs to have ultra super rare releases and make people wait in line every month for some new beer that's often half the quality and twice the price of things that sit on shelves collecting dust.

I've had it twice now a few years apart, and both times I was near the area for other reasons (a few years ago after my sister moved near there and this year when I'm working near the city for a few months). When I went a few years ago, I went on a weekday night, showed up late, and got in within 10 or 15 minutes which was pretty manageable. I did the same this time, but it seems this year the lines are lasting right up until last call even on weekdays so I skipped going the second evening. I did finally get to Cooperage brewing and thought the couple of DIPAs I had there were pretty on par with Younger (though were more NE style than WC). As someone else mentioned, though, at this point it seems far more about the experience than the beer itself. I know when I first went it was certainly more about checking that box off and trying a beer that was such a white whale when I was first getting into craft beer.

37. westcoastbeergeek

westcoastbeergeek Aspirant (265) Sep 16, 2015 British Columbia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

They are printing money during PTY. Almost every party leaves with a case (or more) of Pliny the Younger, they make a killing on merch and beer/food sales. They'd be bonkers to stop this. With possibly two locations next year, I think they can manage the crowds better, to which they do a fantastic job already. The local coffee shops were busy all day, surrounding food places were too so I can't imagine they were mad. The only shops that were dead were a lamp repair shop, a clothing store and a glass blowing place. All places dead during a normally poor tourist season, or never busy at all.

38. AyeDogg

AyeDogg Aspirant (218) Oct 29, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

Elder you mean.

39. dcgunman

dcgunman Crusader (732) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

I'd leave with Blind Pig.

JayORear, DRGinLBC, AyeDogg and 4 others like this.
  40. SuperWhip

SuperWhip Initiate (156) Jul 13, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Did the OC get shut out this year? I've only heard of 2 confirmed tappings Haven and Beachwood.

Any clue on Tustin or other places?