Pliny the Younger 2020

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by John_M, Feb 14, 2020 at 6:23 PM.

1. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,517) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

As most everyone in this forum knows, Oregon is one of the few places in the country that sees distribution of PtY. Typically, better beer bars in PDX will start to tap kegs of younger roughly a week after the beer was released in Santa Rosa and Windson California, which this year was last Friday.

I'm as big a homer as anyone when it comes to espousing the virtues of NW beer, but for my money, Younger continues to be the gold standard when it comes to DIPA/TIPA's. It's only around for a very little while, and I always enjoy drinking a glass or two if I'm lucky enough to find a beer bar that carries it (when I stop in).

This thread is created for all things involving PtY, including thoughts about the beer this year, places that are carrying it (or will carry it), and projected tapping times. Cheers!

2. itracy63

itracy63 Devotee (409) Apr 20, 2013 Washington

Will be in Portland March 6-8, holding out hope, even though I know the chances are slim.

3. derftron

derftron Disciple (369) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

currently on tap at Apex. along with 6-8 vintage Russian River sours.

also pFriem IIIPA and Boneyard Notorious and a whole bunch of other good stuff.

guess i know where im headed in about an hour :slight_smile:

4. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Hmmm.... tempted to run down in a bit. The 6 ounce pours and cash only policy should slow down the charge a bit I would think.

5. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,918) Sep 24, 2007 Liechtenstein
    Society Trader

One of these years I'll get to try it.
    Fuck that.

6. rrock44

rrock44 Disciple (342) Oct 27, 2009 Washington

Ditto. One day i’ll be in Portland at the right place and right time. I am comforted that many say that Notorious is on par with it. Enjoyed that one many a time.

7. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,071) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

My sole time having PtY at Last Drop back in 2012 was perfect. Would be fun to try it again but if not, it was a good one.

beertunes likes this.
  8. derftron

I’ll gladly pay extra to avoid lines, presale tickets, and crowds in general. As of now, it’s 4:15 on a Friday and there are probably 20-25 people in the bar. Drinking a nitro Adam before I hit PtY

9. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,918) Sep 24, 2007 Liechtenstein
    Society Trader

I'm just sayin f the 6oz pours. Give me a grown up glass of beer.

vurt likes this.
  10. derftron

I’ve never had PtY poured in large amounts (over 10oz) in Portland. Yeah 6oz is small, but as a once a year treat I’ll pay the freight

11. derftron

If you do stop by Apex for PtY, grab a glass of Shadow of a Doubt Imp Porter from Russian River. It’s delightful

12. JasonJYoung

JasonJYoung Disciple (342) Jan 7, 2015 Washington
    Society Trader

To my beer homies in the Portland, OR area.......why not just drive south for 10.5-11 hours and grab yourself a couple bottles (or more)? Heck, I'm preparing to make my 4th trip from the Seattle area next week (by car) with NOT A SINGLE REGRET!!!! Haha.

For real though, I have no plans to stand in line for a pour or any bottles of Pliny The Younger. I'm perfectly happy grabbing a couple cases of Pliny the Elder, Blind Pig, and/or other Russian River options.

I usually turn & burn this road trip with little to no sleep. The suffering is so worth it!

NWer, beertunes and vurt like this.
  13. NWer

NWer Crusader (791) Mar 10, 2009 Washington

I drove as far as Fremont, CA the first day and regretted it. I assumed the short commute to Windsor the next morning would be easy but the traffic was brutal. If I do it again, I will go to Windsor in one day.

14. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

That's how they roll at the Apex. It's not just younger. Most of the higher abv beers and BA stouts come in 6 ounce pours only. Pricing usually comes out to around $10 to $12 for a 12 ounce glass.

Not sure what they're pricing younger for, but I assume it's comparable.

#14 John_M, Feb 15, 2020 at 3:47 PM
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2020 at 7:47 PM
    beertunes likes this.
  15. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Poo-Bah (4,854) Jan 18, 2007 Oregon
    Society Trader

You drove from Seattle to Fremont in one day? Isn't that like 16 hours?

NWer and beertunes like this.
  16. DefenCorps

Society Trader

$8/6oz pour and according to the website, it's still on tap.

17. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Does seem a tad expensive, but that's the Apex for you. I see they also have 12 ounce pours of 2010 Consecration for $20. To be honest, I have to wonder if a 10 year old keg of Consecration would even be any good at this point. Is the beer that ageable?

Pricing at the Apex never makes any sense to me. They're also selling 12 ounces of Notorious and pFriem TIPA for $10 a pop, but they have 20 ounce imperial pints of Guinness for $5.

Regardless, I'm sure they'll kill the keg of younger today. I wasn't able to run over yesterday, so maybe I'll stop by this morning.

beertunes likes this.
  18. DefenCorps

Society Trader

I haven't had a keg-aged Consecration( or other RR sour, actually), but bottles have held up nicely until the 5 year or so mark. Temptation is particularly tasty with some time.

19. derftron

For whatever it’s worth, I thought PtY was fantastic. Probably the best batch I’ve had in a while. The aroma was particularly satisfying.

My guess is that Apex put in on right away so this was probably as fresh as we will get it in PDX

20. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

21. NWer

Might as well make it 17 hours and be done with it rather than be stuck in the morning commute. Windsor is only an hour farther in normal traffic.

22. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

They have a keg of 2010 Temptation as well. Am tempted, but the $10 price tag for 6 ounces is a bit of an impediment. Not sure I want a glass that badly.

23. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

These days, the only time you can get to Windsor from Fremont in roughly an hour is at 300 am. Bay area traffic is pretty much a nightmare all the time. There's always a back up at the bay bridge interchange, and most times 101 is backed up as well after the San Rafael/Hoffman bridge. A trip to Silicon valley always makes me feel grateful for the traffic messes we sometimes have in pdx.

jakecattleco and NWer like this.
  24. DefenCorps

Society Trader

Isn't Fremont in the South Bay area, about 2 hours south of Windsor?

afrokaze likes this.
  25. NWer

My mistake. I stayed at Fairfield. It avoids the hills and the commute is about the same going the longer route near Vallejo rather than the shorter route cutting off at Williams.

26. johnniehops

johnniehops Initiate (93) Mar 25, 2015 Oregon
    Trader

For historical context, I had a very nice hassle-free pour of PTY at Lombard House last year. No line, no fuss. Great owner/bartender that curates an excellent taplist in comfortable space. Hoping to get lucky again this year.

27. MaximumYuks

MaximumYuks Devotee (435) Nov 30, 2013 Oregon

I had a pour at Interurban today. $9 for an 8oz pour (I believe; it may have been 10oz). According to their Instagram they don't think they'll run out tonight, so they may have some left tomorrow.

28. shelby415

shelby415 Savant (903) Oct 10, 2011 Oregon
    Trader

Belmont Station will have it today at opening

John_M and distantmantra like this.
  29. dphi

dphi Initiate (112) Apr 14, 2013 Oregon

Having a glass at John's now, $6/8oz

30. weaverr

weaverr Initiate (175) Jun 10, 2008 Oregon

I can verify this - $6/8oz (or I think a glass is 8oz). I can also verify it is delicious, a touch boozy based on my vague annual memory.

beertunes likes this.
  31. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Impressive. Didn't think they would get a keg this year.

Should have read your post before fighting rush hour traffic to drive on over to Belmont Station.

beertunes likes this.
  32. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

:sunglasses: I can happily confirm this as well.

weaverr and beertunes like this.
  33. Stevedore

Stevedore Poo-Bah (5,543) Nov 16, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

Bring your WAGs and turn your 6oz pour into a 12oz pour?

34. DefenCorps

Society Trader

The pond and 3 significant mountain ranges that separate us from HRM means we refer to them as spouses, significant others or even better halves ;-)

Stevedore and sharpski like this.
  35. BeerandLoathing

BeerandLoathing Initiate (185) Jan 28, 2011 Oregon

Anyone see this anywhere else around town besides Apex? I know Horse Brass and Belmont Station must have got some, but I probably missed the low-key regulars word of mouth release the way it's typically been handled in the past.

36. jason_nwx

jason_nwx Devotee (495) Sep 12, 2012 Oregon

Sounds like John's Marketplace had it yesterday at least?

37. SeaAle

SeaAle Disciple (362) Jun 24, 2012 Oregon

Belmont and Upper Lip tapped it yesterday, but looks to be gone from both places. Interurban tapped it on Sunday, and looking at UT people were still checking it in as of last night. They don't post a current tap list. Keep an eye open for it at Horse Brass, BeerMongers, and Bridgetown. Just a few places that I believe haven't tapped it yet.

38. DefenCorps

Society Trader

Higgins tomorrow night but you need a ticket,I think.

39. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

In the past Roscoe's usually has gotten a keg. Also, I would expect NWIPA to tap a keg at their annual TIPA event on 2/29 (they did last year).

40. SeaAle

SeaAle Disciple (362) Jun 24, 2012 Oregon

If you're on the westside, ABV has it on right now.