Plymouth, Vermont

Discussion in 'New England' started by Scottp123, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Scottp123

Scottp123 Initiate (27) Nov 14, 2014 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Hey guys, I'm heading to Plymouth VT over Columbus Day Weekend. I found a couple restaurants in the area that seem to have a good selection of beers from the area, The Worthy Kitchen seems to be very good. Not really looking to hit any breweries since i'm not going with people that into craft beer.

Can anyone suggest any other restaurants in the area? Or, even better, bottle shops that I can pick stuff up at. Also curious if you can find Hill Farmstead bottles at any bottle shops, or do they just sell bottles out of the Brewery?

Thanks in advance guys.

#1 Scottp123, Sep 22, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  2. skistowe

skistowe Initiate (106) Aug 30, 2016 Connecticut

Not sure about restaurant recommendations, but you are too far south to find Hill Farmstead on tap anywhere, I think, and they only sell bottles out of their brewery. You could try Doc's Tavern in Rochester VT for Lawson's / HF, but that would be a bit of a drive.

3. Scottp123

Beer Trader

ok cool thanks.The Hill farmstead site has a list of restaurants that carry their stuff. The Worthy Kitchen is about 30 mins from Plymouth so I might just try that. Thanks again

4. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Aspirant (259) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

If Brandon is not to far visit foley brothers brewery. Great beer and nice folks.

CLEmark and HuskyHawk like this.
  5. Capt_Quint

Capt_Quint Initiate (178) May 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Definitely not too far south for HF on tap. Both Worthy's have it regularly. Even Whetstone Station in Brattleboro has one or two lines.

6. skistowe

skistowe Initiate (106) Aug 30, 2016 Connecticut

Good to know, thanks.

7. Scottp123

Beer Trader

That place is right off 91 too so looks like it might be a good place to stop on my way up or home. Thanks

8. jhavs

jhavs Meyvn (1,218) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

If you go to Worthy Kitchen, Woodstock Hops & Barley is next door. Nice bottle shop.

Very rarely HF bottles will be sold out of the brewery (other than the few stores up near them). I bought 2 Everett at Woodstock Hops & Barley last summer. Don't expect to find any though.

Worthy Kitchen should have a few on tap, as well as a bunch of other great options. I think everyone would enjoy this place, craft beer fan or not. The food is excellent. Buttermilk Fried Chicken is out of this world.

There are a good amount of restaurants in downtown Woodstock too and its a great town to walk around, window shop, etc.

Plymouth is pretty close to Killington, which has a good amount of restaurants and pubs. Long Trail is close, but I see your not looking for breweries.

#8 jhavs, Sep 22, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  9. DougC123

DougC123 Devotee (470) Aug 21, 2012 Connecticut
    Subscriber

Whetstone has a nice deck that hangs over the river. I don't think the colors are going to be that vibrant this year, but in the past it has been a great place to stop Columbus Day weekend to have something to eat and drink and enjoy the views (we do that trip every year). Bonus points: Hermit Thrush is a couple blocks away from Whetstone

http://www.hermitthrushbrewery.com/

Scottp123 and jhavs like this.
  10. DougC123

Subscriber

Another fun place to stop up by where you will be is Harpoon's Windsor VT brewery which is a complex with a bunch of artisanal businesses. That weekend is Harpoon Fest, so if you are into giant crowds it will be the place to be. I much prefer it when it is not Harpoon Fest, but to each his own.

Scottp123 and GormBrewhouse like this.
  11. Capt_Quint

Capt_Quint Initiate (178) May 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Harpoon (fest aside) and Long Trail both have enough variety and food to please those not super into craft.

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  12. sosbombs

sosbombs Initiate (170) Jan 12, 2016 Vermont

and craft beer pioneer McNeills is two blocks away (hint: drink whatever Ray is drinking).

13. telejunkie

telejunkie Disciple (314) Sep 14, 2007 Vermont

Not sure if you're a runner, but the Harpoon Fest 5k is an awesome road race, Sunday the 9th. Afterwards the race, you get 3-1/2 liters of beer (with a sweet stein) and a brat included in the price of the race…we have a team & friends & family drive in from all over the northeast. Definitely one of the better organized events and even my non-drinking dad & wine-loving mom had such good time last year, they're driving 6 hours to come back this year (well that and see grandkids & be in VT Columbus day weekend…)
    As stated Long Trail is great for non-beer drinkers as well. If the weather is nice, sitting out by the river can be spectacular this time of year and they serve good nuff food for most everyone.

River Roost Brewery & Backacre brewing should be two breweries you should be on the lookout for too. Brewfest Beverage in Ludlow is definitely one of the best bottle shops in southern VT. Make sure to stop in there.

14. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg Aspirant (232) Nov 2, 2007 Vermont
    Beer Trader

No retail/visitors at Backacre - beer is released once a month at a few local bottleshops in southern VT at the beginning of the month.

15. telejunkie

telejunkie Disciple (314) Sep 14, 2007 Vermont

Seems to me like they've been hanging out at bottle shops around here for at least a week or more these days Ruth. Last time it was released here, email went out and I went in the next day and guy said he didn't think they sold one yet…:confused:

Anybody know, is River Roost available in bottles/can or just tap?

duchessedubourg likes this.
  16. DougC123

Subscriber

Do any of the Vermonters see Trout River cans anywhere? Is it worth looking for? TIA.

17. HuskyHawk

HuskyHawk Devotee (465) Jun 5, 2014 Massachusetts

And they have wine too, if your travel partners like wine. It's a neat country spot, tasting is in an old barn. It's very "Vermont" and Brandon is a nice town with some good spots for lunch.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.