PNW Stouts

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by drone, Oct 30, 2016.

1. ppilot

ppilot Initiate (82) Jul 17, 2009 Oregon

So I guess this is how it's going to be. Can't say I blame them if the demand is there, but still......

kemoarps likes this.
  2. ChugChugPass

ChugChugPass Initiate (50) Jun 16, 2017 Washington
    Trader

Sounds delicious though.

3. ppilot

Meh....if it's anything like the previous release it will be an average Barrel Aged Stout that has balance issues.

4. vurt

vurt Savant (970) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Premium

At thirty goddamn dollars for a pint, I'll never find out. And I'm okay with that.

5. ChugChugPass

Trader

Yeah I wasn't blown away by BADS; I personally liked it quite a bit more than regular DS but I'm not a big coffee guy.

6. John_M

John_M Moderator (6,253) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Premium Trader

Pretty much my take as well. I went out of my way to try the BADS on tap, but doubt I'll do that this time (assuming it's even offered on draft).

Also, I still cringe just thinking about how sweet their sticky bun stout was on tap. The sweetness level in the regular DS is about as much as I can handle, and even then, certain batches have almost been more than I can handle (in the sweetness department).

7. ChugChugPass

Trader

It's gonna be on tap Thursday night at Alberta, so at least there's that this time (as opposed to buying a $125 box set without so much as a single review lol)

vurt likes this.
  8. John_M

Premium Trader

Given GN's history, I'm kind of surprised anyone would be surprised by this. GN has always been at the forefront of excessive, over the top pricing in PDX (just take a look at most of the old GN thread), so this comes as no surprise to me. It's absolutely what I would expect from them.

That being said... I wonder if this is already starting to get a bit old for the GN fanboy base. Just to assuage my curiosity, I joined the GN Facebook trading group some weeks back, mostly to get a feel for the reaction to the BBDS release. Reaction to the upcoming BA French Toast release seems much more subdued than the over the top, "can't wait to buy it and trade it" enthusiasm I saw online for the BBDS release. Reviews of the BBDS weren't as positive as I think the group was expecting (or hoping for), and so I think everyone is a bit more cautious about the upcoming release.

I'm sure GN will still have no problem selling every bottle at the release on Saturday, but I doubt people are going to be flying in from all over the country to buy a single bottle of this beer this time around.

9. ChugChugPass

Trader

The GN trading Facebook group is littered with people who have no interest in trading GN beer. It's really pretty obnoxious.

I use trade groups as a tool, so people who join them to spam their distaste for a brewery are actively trying to ruin a tool I use. I honestly judge them as human beings a bit, like I won't be trading with one guy who did that anymore.

It's digital vandalism, people acting like teenagers. It's one thing to shit on a brewery in other groups every chance you get (which of course they also do), but to actively go to a trading forum to do it? Grow up.

I see it from a lot of avid traders and resellers though; they actively try to disrupt trading for beers they don't want or get, while trying to do their best to hype up beers they have to trade. But I think it's mostly just "This thing I don't like is popular, wahhhhhhhh!"

#449 ChugChugPass, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    Superheatnsubcool and vurt like this.
  10. ppilot

I 100% believe this because being anonymous and online tends to bring out the worst in a lot of people. With that said, this doesn't change the fact that BBDS wasn't great and that letdown is probably negatively affecting the hype for this release. I am with John in that it amuses me to see the hype/beer quality ratio.

vurt, drone and beertunes like this.
  11. dweebikus

dweebikus Initiate (35) Jan 11, 2016 California

Maybe I'm a sucker, but I'm going to go to the release hoping that it'll be more of a Horus beer than GN? I also just really want to try a horus release, heh.

12. weaverr

weaverr Initiate (144) Jun 10, 2008 Oregon

DefenCorps likes this.
  13. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,019) May 23, 2011 Washington

beertunes and vurt like this.
  14. ChugChugPass

Trader

Sticking not dried marshmallows in a beer doesn’t do much or requires so much time the flavor would fade anyways making it a zero sum game of sorts. That’s what I’ve heard from people who French press or make their own adjunct beers.

But you might just be complaining about the marshmallows in general which is fair lol. Unless you use ones with added natural flavors you might as well just toss sugar in the beer. Maple can be the same way.

distantmantra likes this.
  15. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,683) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Trader

Plus, ya gotta dig though the rest of the Lucky Charms to get 'em all out.

16. weaverr

I'm just complaining about how sweet most GN stouts are. I would love a smoked imperial stout from them that wasn't a sugar bomb.

kemoarps and vurt like this.
  17. ChugChugPass

Trader

Anyone braving the Frenched Toast madness tonight?

I trust you knuckleheads more than Untappd.

vurt likes this.
  18. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Initiate (77) Jun 21, 2014 Oregon

Drinking a Cosmic Cold Brew and I gotta say it's mighty fine. Excellent coffee flavor, including aftertaste.

19. itracy63

itracy63 Disciple (393) Apr 20, 2013 Washington

Had 3Mags Orange Treat tonight, for those unfamiliar, it’s an homage to the chocolate oranges that come out during the holidays every year and were a staple in my house as a child, so I had to try one. Another solid stout from 3Mag, I actually wish it had a little more orange flavor.

vurt and beertunes like this.
  20. John_M

Premium Trader

Damn! When you said Thursday, I thought you meant next Thursday. Oh well...

21. ChugChugPass

Trader

Yeah they actually tapped it before the release this time. Getting good reviews from people who didn’t give BADS good reviews so maybe a good sign. If you like pastry of course.

kemoarps, beertunes and vurt like this.
  22. vurt

vurt Savant (970) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Premium

This is good to know. Cans have been available in the cooler here at Orenco Taphouse the past few times I've been here. Tonight I almost bought a can, but opted for a glass of Imminent Haze IPA from Manifest instead.

(It's not bad, but I wouldn't order it again. Not my thang. But if you like hazy IPAs, don't let my comments stop you from trying it.)

kemoarps and beertunes like this.
  23. SeaAle

SeaAle Disciple (348) Jun 24, 2012 Oregon

I wonder how many kegs they have of this one. I didn't make it in time to get any barrel-aged Double Stack. But that was only one keg they had of that.

24. weaverr

Why did the Great Notion thread get locked?

FWIW their website says Bourbon Barrel French Toast is still on tap so it's possible it didn't blow last night. Keep an eye on it around 11 to see if it disappears - it's driven by their digital untappd menu so it's always up to date. $8 for 5oz on this one too.

25. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,019) May 23, 2011 Washington

Because BA is forcing us to create new yearly threads for pretty much everything now. Someone should start a Great Notion 2019 thread if desired.

kemoarps and beertunes like this.
  26. ChugChugPass

Trader

The funniest lock is the 2018 BA Victory at Sea thread lol, looks like it got mistaken for a timely OT rather than a thread about someone looking for a specific vintage of a beer that came out at the end of 2018.

But yes someone should creatr the Great Notion 2019 thread of thin-ness.

kemoarps likes this.
  27. weaverr

I'll be your Huckleberry.

28. John_M

Premium Trader

Several people have asked about starting a new GN thread. If no one else does it, I'll likely start a new one this afternoon when I receive the weekly email update from GN.

29. weaverr

Looks like BA French Toast was pulled and replaced with a couple Horus sours.