Poll: Do you like sours?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by spacecake9, Mar 6, 2016.

?

Do you enjoy sours?

1. I love sours.

512 vote(s)
    54.7%
  2. I like some sours.

267 vote(s)
    28.5%
  3. I dislike most sours.

70 vote(s)
    7.5%
  4. Sours? No thank you.

87 vote(s)
    9.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thepenguin

thepenguin Devotee (445) Aug 8, 2010 Massachusetts

Sours are delightful, and there's so much variation within this overarching category. Between the differences in microorganisms used to funkify a beer and other souring methods, as well as the innovative things brewers are doing with flavor additions, barrel aging and marriages of different styles, there's so much to love...just not the price tag.

2. RolandStJude

RolandStJude Initiate (77) Jun 15, 2010 Indiana

I love sours. I've always loved sour foods and sour candies. Was surprised to find beer that fit that profile. I even enjoy the one-note pucker bombs in the same way I like "extreme" sour candy. It's not my favorite style of beer but it's probably #2 or 3.

3. manfromanotherplace

manfromanotherplace Initiate (0) May 19, 2015 New York

Nope.....but each to their own.

jcos likes this.
  4. warrendietrich2001

warrendietrich2001 Defender (685) Feb 13, 2013 Nevada
    Trader

Sours are like drinking vomit. Tried Rare Barrel several times, RR multiple times and Almanac at this point giving up and sticking to hoppy IPAs.

Gables, jcos and BFCarr like this.
  5. Asics

Asics Initiate (0) Jul 28, 2012 Washington

They're okay. Often they don't taste like "beer" in the traditional sense. I approach them like I do wine and unfortunately I don't like wine that much. Wine - and sours by extension - are just fine. Not bad but I can't see myself ever getting anything terribly expensive because I know that I wouldn't be able to appreciate it properly.

6. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,416) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Tried a selection of them over the years and never found one I'd try again. Just no longer interested in developing a taste for something I didn't care for in the first place.

7. BalancingBrooms

BalancingBrooms Meyvn (1,333) Aug 22, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Loved Sours from the first time, unfortunately my wallet doesn't

8. readyski

readyski Aspirant (269) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Trader

Start with Rodenbach Grand Cru then Supplication or its ilk
    You'll thank (or hate) me later

Thecalmdrinker likes this.
  9. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland

I like some Sours. Belgian's and German's know how to make a diverse Sour Beer. Yet, I've had a handful of American Breweries that cannot reach a top ten for me.

10. headbangingteacher

headbangingteacher Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2015 Maryland

I voted for the love. I can't get enough of these guys. Sure, I've had a couple duds, but for the most part, I've enjoyed each one I've tried. I've really been enjoying Burley Oak's Sorry Chicky.

11. Thecalmdrinker

Thecalmdrinker Initiate (0) Jun 27, 2015 Nevada

Cool, I'll look for them. Thanks! :slight_smile:

12. crob3888

crob3888 Initiate (0) Oct 10, 2010 California

I love them, but I don't love the typical price point. So, they're definitely a treat for me, and not a part of my regular day-to-day rotation.

13. flaskman

flaskman Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2015 New York

Gag choke.....

14. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Deactivated

Belgian sour styles are king. Zero american breweries match the complexity, depth of flavor, and ability to even sense balance. Very few make anything palatable at all.

15. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe Initiate (0) May 23, 2015 Massachusetts

I like some good sours. I dislike others. Love Duchesse de Bourginone, hated Night Shift's Mainer Weisse (which sucked because I really like Night Shift)

16. The_Snow_Bird

The_Snow_Bird Poo-Bah (1,762) May 7, 2015 Florida
    Society

Sours are not for me.

jcos likes this.
  17. PGD120

PGD120 Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2015 New Jersey

I drink less sours styles than non sour stuff, but I do love it. Most of my favorite beers read like a list of the best lambic from Belgium.

18. JDAWG71

JDAWG71 Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2016 Florida

Generally yes...but not all brewers know how to brew them. Local brewery makes one heck of a sour...that has saved me.

19. Dando274

Dando274 Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2016 Pennsylvania

I've had a handful of sours and enjoyed most of them but not all. I've found that I really enjoy goses and krieks but I tried a gueuze and really got overwhelmed by the vomit scent that some people find in sours. I guess I'm lucky that I don't think most sours smell like vomit but a gueuze sure can (to my nose)

20. Tommo

Tommo Champion (832) Sep 25, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Very easy, just takes time. Best part is, most imperfections get masked by the funk and sour

21. Cameron_como

Cameron_como Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2015 Missouri

Went to a Belgian beer fest, got burnt out on them pretty quick.

Still like 2nd Shift Dry-Hopped Katy though

22. Cpmitchno1

Cpmitchno1 Crusader (789) Jan 7, 2015 Virginia

I've tried to enjoy sours. I'm too the point where I realize there is way too much great beer to worry about trying to expand my palate. I occasionally enjoy beers with some hint of sourness, but true sours- not for me. Maybe I'll eventually develop a palate for them, in the meantime I plan on saving myself time and money and generally avoiding purchasing them.

23. GabberGod

GabberGod Initiate (0) Jul 25, 2014 California

To me, sours taste like dirty socks and vinegar. 99% of sours make me want to vomit. I can't even grasp my head around how people actually enjoy the flavor. I had DDG, Cable Car and Kiwi Herman earlier which were drinkable but nowhere near enjoyable. I'll stick to my BBA stouts.

24. thuey

thuey Disciple (334) Nov 13, 2015 California

That's funny! Rare Barrel sours and RR Supplication might be the only ones I like. (Don't like the pucker ones like Almanac)

25. CJNAPS

CJNAPS Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2013 California

Didn't at first, but I have grown to love them.

26. Smitch

Smitch Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2014 Wisconsin

I like sours alot but I am finding that I really don't like the quick and dirty kettle soured varity. It's all acidity and punch with none of the subtleties you get with the traditional production methods. If you're not going to take the time to do them right why do them at all.

27. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,226) Sep 15, 2014 New York
    Society

I love the taste of sourness, but I don't like the sour ales that are overly funky, to the point where they taste like rotting garbage. I recently had Lindemans Kriek Cuvee Renee, however, and it was fantastic.

Florida_Hop_Head likes this.
  28. Davey-C

Davey-C Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2016 New York

When I tried my first sour I thought it was gross. Then about three days later as I was drinking the same-old IPA I couldn't stop thinking about that sour... So I had another, different sour, a week or so later. Then a day or two later I really wished I had a sour in my hand. Fast forward 9 months and I'm trying every sour style and every brewery. For me it was like offering a 6 year old coffee and a fine blue cheese - of course I thought it was gross. But after a little exposure my taste buds were captivated and some of the IPA's I use to think we're amazing seemed kinda one dimentional - like American cheese and white bread... Overall I love it all - but a solid IPA is still my daily go to.

29. jssf

jssf Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2015 California

Love sours, especially hopped ones like Alamancs or Le Terroir. I have found, however, that despite being a lover of vinegar, I don't like the acetic ones.

30. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin

Strongly dislike one-dimensional sours (or one-dimensional beers of any kind), which I tend to find more from American wilds than lambics.

Love well-made, well-balanced sours.

Ranbot likes this.
  31. akolb

akolb Initiate (0) Aug 8, 2015 Colorado
    Deactivated

Like sours once in a while as a treat. Drinking sours on a regular basis is a bit out of my budget, but a good Oud Bruin or Flanders Red Ale is worth it.

HorseheadsHophead likes this.
  32. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2012 Pennsylvania

I do, but I feel the price point is outweighed by my enjoyment. I'd much rather a simple Westbrook Gose than spend $30 for a Cantillon bottle. Honestly, I don't appreciate sour beers and nuances enough to justify the cost.

I kind of feel the same way about wine. I don't notice that much of a difference between a $20 bottle to a $100+.

33. tjensen3618

tjensen3618 Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2008 California

I don't even think of them as beer, in my mind they are a separate drink altogether.

I love beer. Wine, Cider, and Sour Beers are ok on occasion.

34. MarioM

MarioM Initiate (0) Sep 13, 2009 California

The first sour I ever had back in 2011 was a huge shock, it was a Jolly Pumpkin La Roja. A Flanders red inspired ale. I didn't dislike it but was not what I was expecting. A few years later at Russian River, I got a few samples of their sours and absolutely fell in love with sour beer.

Although I love proper wild/sour beers with a mixed fermentation, I strongly dislike heavy lactic acidic clean beers like Gose and clean sour seers without Wild yeast (Brett), like some from Cascade Brewery, that are heavily sour but lack complexity.

35. pattycakes8401

pattycakes8401 Initiate (0) Oct 25, 2015 Indiana

Okay, so I've only had the Love Child sour ales from the Boulevard Smokestack Series, and I absolutely hated them at first, but now I rather enjoy them. Here's how my experience went:

Love Child No. 4 : I actually had no idea that this was a sour before opening it, and in fact I didn't even know what a sour was at the time. The only reason I picked it up is because I was wanting to try all of the beers from the SS Series and had really really enjoyed what I had tried from it up to that point (Saison-Brett, BBQ, Rye-on-Rye, Imperial Stout X: Aztec Chocolate), so I had high hopes and just kind of went with it like "time for the next one, let's go". I took my first sip, and immediately thought to myself, "what the fuck is this nasty shit, and why is it so incredibly sour?", but I began to read up on some of the reviews for the beer to familiarize myself with the different flavors, and I really just took my time with it and tried my hardest to identify and appreciate whatever flavors I could. By the end, however, I was really not looking forward to trying the No. 5 any time soon.

Love Child No. 5 : This was a month or so after the No. 4, and it really didn't seem as overwhelming as I thought it was going to be. Again, I took my time with this one and in fact I even wrote a review for it, so I familiarized myself with it as much as possible, examining every detail that my novice palate could detect. There was something refreshing about it despite the sourness, although the sourness became overwhelming as the beer approached room temperature (gave me really bad heartburn). I decided that it is best to drink these sour ales at relatively cold temperatures since the acidity becomes overwhelming at warmer temperatures. Anyhow, I enjoyed it much more than I did the No. 4.

Love Child No. 6 : This was only a week after the No. 5; despite hearing that this was the sourest of the three, I actually found it to be the least sour (most likely due to a slightly more evolved palate). In fact, it was very refreshing and almost "juice-like" in a way. I really enjoyed the No. 6 and I would certainly like to go back and try it again (along with the No. 4 and No. 5, if I can find them), and I definitely plan on exploring some other sours in the future.

Conclusion: Sour beer is without a doubt an acquired taste. If someone has never experienced these sorts of flavors before, then it may "shock" their palate at first; but over time and with subsequent exposure, the palate will eventually adapt to these flavors and will more easily be able to appreciate and enjoy them without being overwhelmed. I'm sure if I went back and tried the No. 4, it wouldn't taste nearly as sour as what I remembered it being. It kind of reminds me of my very first scotch and whiskey tasting session, in which we tried about ten different kinds and then tried four of those a second time; those four that I tried for a second time tasted absolutely nothing like they did the first time. Similarly, sour beer is something that requires requires repeated exposure in order to form a valid opinion. It is something that I am still very new to and which I am still adapting to, but I'm really beginning to enjoy it and find it oddly refreshing in a way. Definitely unlike any other style of beer that I've had.

#75 pattycakes8401, Mar 7, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  36. Thayden1980

Thayden1980 Initiate (0) Oct 9, 2014 Illinois

Lit sounds like the OP wants to enjoy sour beer but isn't quite there yet. Try drinking Flanders red or Oud Bruins for a while. I found after maxing out on hopper ales my palate "graduated" to beers with a sour quality. I like to think of a Flanders red as more of a sweet and sour beer than just being labeled as a "sour". I also find kriek to be the gateway for lambic and gueuze. After drinking these styles I find I crave bone dry super attenuated Belgian offerings. Should you find any Supplication in your travels it might change your mind. Not terribly hard to find and the wine making background that is displayed in their beers will definitely show you that these beers can be more than one note sour beers. But that bottle of intense red or another Belgian kriek that makes you feel a little guilty with the price and it might open a whole new world for you. Costly but a real revalation.

37. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Never had one that I enjoyed enough to drink again.

38. captaincoffee

captaincoffee Poo-Bah (1,779) Jul 10, 2011 Virginia
    Society

Consider yourself lucky. You just saved hundreds of dollars. Although I quite like sours, I don't see why you would continue to throw away hard earned $$ on something you don't enjoy. You've given it a solid effort...move on to beer you actually like.

39. Himself

Himself Initiate (0) May 20, 2014 Massachusetts

I keep trying sours wanting to like them but quite frankly at the price point and the flavor profile I would rather enjoy a nice bottle of wine.

40. Lurchus

Lurchus Initiate (190) Jan 19, 2014 Germany

When did sours start to become a "thing" in the us craft scene btw?
    I always loved sour beers- though the first belgian one that really got me was Cantillon..... Now I'm always annoyed how rare and expensive they got.
    I also like Berliner Weisse, Gose, Lichtenhainer as sour styles.
    Never had an US sour Ale though

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.