Poll: Do you like sours?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by monkeybeerbelly, Aug 24, 2016.

?

Do you like sours?

1. Yes

79.9%
  2. No

20.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monkeybeerbelly

monkeybeerbelly Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012 New York

Its a simple question, I'll make it a yes or no poll to keep it simple.

Do you like sours?

I do.
    It seems that every few days another thread or article is posted about sour beer.
    In every one of those threads there are very happy proponents for more and more sours and there are those who just say something like "i hate sours, they suck, they smell like....etc"

so just to get an idea of the dynamics on beer advocate, i made this simple poll.

yes or no, do you like sours?
    (if your answer is "sometimes", consider that a yes)

2. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Never had one that I wanted a 2ond serving of. That includes many of the hard to get ones when they were easy to get.

3. hopsputin

hopsputin Poo-Bah (2,299) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey
    Society

I like some, but not all. Given the choice of 'yes' or 'no' I voted yes, as there are some I'll partake in.

VABA, maximum12 and monkeybeerbelly like this.
  4. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,893) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I normally don't seek out sour beers, but I'm on a road trip right now from Michigan to the west coast, and part of my itinerary was planned for a stop to pick up some Ching Ching at Bend Brewing. I had that beer on my last trip through the area three years ago and fell in love with it, but I did not realize then that this beer is bottled.

As a side event on this trip, I discovered a very good sour also during my stop at Surly Brewing in Minneapolis. Their Pentagram is outstanding.

monkeybeerbelly likes this.
  5. Lingenbrau

Lingenbrau Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2011 Oregon

Yes. When done well. Not all sours are created equal (or with much care for that matter).

6. zid

zid Meyvn (1,241) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

But it isn't. :slight_smile:

7. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Poo-Bah (3,051) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society

Sometimes I like a traditional gose and other sour or wild/brett beer, but my favorite sours are the fruit added and/or dry hopped versions.

VABA likes this.
  8. monkeybeerbelly

monkeybeerbelly Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012 New York

for the sake of this poll it is.
    some like gose but not flanders red.

this is a general question. really not complicated at all and i dont intend for it to become another place to have the fight of personal preferences.

just drink what you like.
    but answer the damn question :slight_smile::wink:

9. Jerk_Store

Jerk_Store Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2015 Canada (QC)

Yes. Far from my favourite however

10. dutesanch

dutesanch Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2014 California

Ironic that most sours seem to come in 750ml bottles and I don't like any more than 6-8 oz. I usually save them to share. Fruited sours are excellent, hoppy ones not so much.

rightcoast7 and JLaw55 like this.
  11. mudbug

mudbug Defender (606) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon

Yes a lot. What I don't like are sweet beers like radlers

Dando274 likes this.
  12. Lingenbrau

Lingenbrau Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2011 Oregon

The best way to enjoy them :wink:!

13. Redrover

Redrover Poo-Bah (3,485) Jan 18, 2003 Wisconsin
    Society

I like them a lot but never find myself sessioning them. Seems that for me, they are more of a change of pace beer.

Glad to have the option at least as they were tough to find even five years ago.

StoutElk_92 likes this.
  14. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Couldn't answer since I enjoy some and don't care for others.

djl9701, JackHorzempa and maximum12 like this.
  15. LADEDA

LADEDA Disciple (345) Jul 29, 2014 Florida
    Society

I hate sours, they suck, they smell like etc. (especially tart cucumbers).

dennis3951 likes this.
  16. zid

zid Meyvn (1,241) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

I answered "yes" since you asked so nicely. :wink:
    When I'm asked this question by a bartender or store worker, my answer is "no."
    I don't know which answer is more accurate.
    Given your parameters, "yes" will probably get more votes.

TheDoctor likes this.
  17. jcos

jcos Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2009 Maryland

Sort of?

18. Pantalones

Pantalones Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2014 Virginia

I've had several beers from "sour" styles (a Flanders oud bruin, a Berliner weisse, and two gose) and liked all but one of them (the strange cucumber gose from the Samuel Adams summer pack this year. Which for some odd reason they only mentioned the cucumber part in the fine print, even though it was the strongest flavor in the beer. Also wasn't even slightly tart/sour, oddly enough -- I know I've read that gose can vary in sourness from mild to super-sour, but I expected at least a little bit.)

Based on that limited experience with "sour" styles, I'd have to vote yes.

19. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Meyvn (1,143) Nov 4, 2015 New York

Yep :slight_smile:

VABA likes this.
  20. Tmwright7

Tmwright7 Initiate (111) Feb 3, 2015 Pennsylvania

Yes. My experience at Wicked Weed's Funkatorium really opened my eyes to the sour world. Love a lot of goses out there as well.

21. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,853) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I would drink Rodenbach Grand Cru by the gallon if I could.

22. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

[QUOTE="zid, post: 4971031, member: 427912"Given your parameters, "yes" will probably get more votes.[/QUOTE]

Which is exactly why I declined to answer. A biased poll is not particularly useful.

#22 drtth, Aug 24, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    PbFarmer and JLaw55 like this.
  23. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Deactivated

Yes. Sadly so few American breweries can make servicable attempts at sour styles, let alone great ones.

24. DrumKid003

DrumKid003 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 Oklahoma

Yes, I like sours. Flanders Reds, Oud Bruins, Berliner Weisse, & Goses are my go to styles that are sour. I'm usually a one a done when it comes to sours though, and I will usually order a Gose and use it as a palate cleanser if I'm jumping from style to style over the course of an evening.

25. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Poo-Bah (2,033) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Society

I like good sours. So I voted yes.

26. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,147) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Gueze and Kriek's are my favs. but I love many other well made sour styles. I'm starting to lose taste for Oud Bruin's though. Just part of the various cycles my pallet goes through where certain styles don't do it for me for a while. Oud Bruin's will come back eventually.

27. azurel

azurel Initiate (0) May 27, 2016 Michigan

Love them....Probably one of my favorite styles. I have found aome brewers are better at execution then others.

I have noticed sours seem to be the new "in thing/fad"....I have turned on quite a few people that never knew about them....

I tend to try any available...If you don't try it you don't know....2 I have absolutely loved are Prairie Artisan ales Funky gold mosaic, and Anchorage brewing Anadromous...I liked these 2 so much I went and bought enough to cellar.....

28. Powder_My_Balls

Powder_My_Balls Initiate (0) Apr 28, 2016 Illinois

I have had only three sours and enjoyed them.

I never seek them out since there are many other styles I would rather spend my money on.

29. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,977) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Lllllettttsss see, I love Berliner Weisses, Goses, and the American takes on them too with fruit and dry hopping. Mmmmm Flanders Reds are delicious, but the Browns are pretty tasty too. A nice sour saison, all peppery and tart, can really hit the spot. A wild ale with a good balance between tart and funk is great, but really tart is good too. A straight up sour pale is a refreshing luxury on a hot day. And if you consider any Lambics to be sour beers, give me them all day every day.

I answered the poll "yes"

30. seth27

seth27 Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2015 Pennsylvania

I'm not a fan of kettle sours but I do like most other styles of sours. Just something about the lactic acid flavor with not much else behind it really turns me off of Gose, Berliner's, et all.

I think one area of the American craft beer scene we will see expand in the near future is the willingness of more brewers to put out quality sours

31. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Disciple (340) Nov 23, 2008 New York

I voted no, based my meager personal sample size (2 :flushed:). Of course that is waaaay too small to really say definitively, so my vote may change on any future such polls. :rolling_eyes:
    I didn't hate the two that I tried (Rodenbach Grand Cru, Hanssens' Scarenbecca Kriek), just thought they were, uh, interesting.

32. HeyItsThatGuy

HeyItsThatGuy Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2016 Illinois

They suck? lol well some of us here would like a more in depth answer then that but ok.
    I'm guessing you haven't had enough if ALL the ones you've had smell like especially tart cucumbers...but which ones do?....cause I want em. :grinning:

33. HeyItsThatGuy

ALL OF THEM! I LOVE ALL OF THEM!
    American Wild ales, Flemish reds and browns, Gose's, Berliner Weisses, Oak-aged goldens, Black Sours, sour stouts and porters, gueuzes, I LOVE EM ALL! MUHAHAHAHAHA!
    I could honestly sip on the same sour all night long if I like it enough, and I usually do :grinning:
    I actually consider them to be pretty dangerous to both me, my wallet, my teeth, and my stomach but it's a risk that I'm SOOO willing to take. :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

34. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

I voted "no" on the premise that it's not a style I seek out. However if I find a sour that sounds intriguing because of what it's brewed with I'll gladly try one.

35. LADEDA

LADEDA Disciple (345) Jul 29, 2014 Florida
    Society

I was just playing with the OP's question in the opening post. Actually, I have mixed feelings about sours. I enjoyed Bruery Rueuze, but Love Child 5, not so much. The reason I don't try more is they mostly are costly, and to experiment would be, to me, over the top. I'll stick with bitter and juicy IPA's and coffee stouts. Sorry if I came off rude.

36. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

I don't drink them all the time but I do enjoy them very much. So from time to time I will grab a few.

37. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,841) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I have drank some sour beers and enjoyed them. I have also drank some sour beers and not enjoyed them.

I answered "No" since I am guessing that I have not enjoyed more sour beers that I have enjoyed.

Cheers!

38. HeyItsThatGuy

Not at all! lol was just wondering why you said what you said. And I agree that they can be very costly, just another reason why for me sours can be dangerous :wink:

39. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,461) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Yes, ever since Corked and caged La Folie came into my life. My first "sour" though I drain poured the first bottle. I gave it a second chance. :wink:

cavedave likes this.
  40. CJNAPS

CJNAPS Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2013 California

Of course !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.