Poll: Pumpkin Pie vs. Pumpkin Squash Flavor

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by seakayak, Sep 1, 2015.

?

Pumpkin Pie vs. Pumpkin Squash Flavor

1. Pumpkin Pie

2. Pumpkin Squash

3. Mashup of Both

4. No pumpkin for you

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seakayak

seakayak Defender (685) May 20, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Here's an update with your suggestions since last season:

Pumpkin-Pie Dominant:
    -Harpoon UFO Pumpkin (5.9%)
    -Southern Tier Pumking (8.6%)
    -Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale (8.0%)
    -Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale (4.7%)
    -Wachusett Pumpkan (5.2%)
    -Long Trail Pumpkin Ale (5.5%)
    -No Label Brewing Nightmare on 1st Street (9.27%)
    -Fat Head's Spooky Tooth Imperial Pumpkin (9.0%)

Balanced Mashup of Both:
    -Dogfish Head Pumpkin Ale (7.0%)
    -Schlafly Pumpkin Ale (8.0%)
    -Sam Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale (5.7%)
    -Sam Adams 20 Pounds of Pumpkin (5.7%)
    -Sam Adams Fat Jack Double Pumpkin Ale (8.5%)
    -Rogue Farms Pumpkin Patch Ale (5.6%)
    -Stevens Point Whole Hog Pumpkin Ale (7.5%)
    -Jack's Abby Pumpkin Crop Lager (5.5%)
    -New Holland Ichabod Ale (5.5%)
    -Cisco Pumple Drumkin Spiced Ale (6.0%)
    -Elysian The Great Pumpkin (8.1%)
    -Elysian Night Owl Pumpkin Ale (6.7%)

Pumpkin-Squash Dominant:
    -Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale (5.84%)
    -Ithaca Country Pumpkin (6.3%)
    -Uinta Punk'N Harvest Pumpkin Ale (5.0%)
    -Brooklyn Post Road Pumpkin Ale (5.0%)
    -Anderson Valley Fall Hornin' Pumpkin Ale (6.0%)
    -AleWerks Pumpkin Ale (7.4%)
    -Cigar City Good Gourd Imperial Pumpkin Ale (8.5%)
    -McAuslan Great Pumpkin Ale (5.0%)

Pumpkin Stouts, Barrel Aged, or Other Flavorings Added:
    -Southern Tier Warlock (stout) (10.0%)
    -Crown Valley Imperial Pumpkin Smash (stout) (10.6%)
    -Saint Arnold Pumpkinator (stout) (10.0%)
    -Mother's Squashed Chocolate Pumpkin Porter (chocolate) (7.4%)
    -Timmerman's Pumpkin Lambicus (apples) (4.0%)
    -Saucony Creek Maple Mistress Imperial Pumpkin (butternut squash; maple syrup) (9.5%)
    -New Belgium Pumpkick (cranberries) (6.0%)
    -Jack-O Traveler Pumpkin Shandy (lemon) (4.4%)
    -Two Roads Roadsmary's Baby (aged in rum barrels) (6.8%)
    -Boulevard Funky Pumpkin (barrel-aged; Brettanomyces) (5.8%)
    -Ballast Point Pumpkin Down (Scottish ale) (5.8%)

2. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

I have seen pumpkin beer take a variety of postures just like all the other styles . I like the ones that taste like beer. Maybe that is the yeast. I don't want pumpkin pie novelty sweet beer. I do like the flavor of pumpkin pie. The worst part about pumpkin beer is cinnamon. Cinnamon and beer are an unlikely combination imo BUT I have liked it some beers. The pumpkin beer is one of them. I like the squash flavor or the flavor that is not citrus hops better with a nice hop bitterness and ithaca and smuttynose were tops on my list last year. Ithaca's had a more citric hop than smuttynose if I remember right. Smutty's was woodier? OH! Now I have to go buy pumpkin beer.

3. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (13,053) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

I like pumpkin pie anything, almost. As far as beer - I'd like it to still taste like beer, otherwise I may as well just have a pumpkin pie/shake/blizzard/etc. I see that 76.8% of those surveyed want pumpkin pie flavor or a combination of that and squash in a beer, but it's all subjective. As with anything, you see reviews all over the map as to whether a beer is a great pumpkin beer and tastes like the expected pie, spices, or squash. I started trying pumpkin beers last year and had all those distributed in Southeast Dakota, maybe 15-20, and could not find one that hit that right balance for me. Just reading the reviews and the posts here, sure sounds like there are some out there I should like, like Schlalfly, Steven's Point - but I might have to travel a bit. Luckily I live about 4 miles from the intersection of South Dakota, Minnesota and Iowa.

4. ManlyWealth

ManlyWealth Initiate (143) Jul 22, 2016 Georgia

Add another one to your list. freaktoberfest BIG OL' pumkin ale by Coney Island Brewing Co. Just purchased this limited release pumpkin ale only cause the bottle caught my attention. Of course I go right to rating it to see how good it is. 74, just OK on Beer Advocate. Even Rate Beer gives it a 21 on Style and a 22 Overall. I went to put it down, but all the ingredients caught my attention again. What an awesome combination of ingredients, surely this has to taste good. Coney Island Brewing, the brewer is good one too. Hmmm? So I dug deeper and opened the 74 rating to see what everyone said. Well look at that, the BROS rated it a 90. I bought it. It is outstanding pumpkin ale! I agree with the BROS on this one. Its actually an Oktoberfest/Märzen Style. Not a Märzen fan, but this one is very good!

seakayak likes this.
  5. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,148) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

The bottled Coney Island beers (and, no doubt, the majority of the draught) are brewed by their parent company, Boston Beer, at its PA and OH breweries. Coney Island is owned by BBC through their Alchemy & Science subsidiary, which also owns Traveler, L.A.'s Angel City and Miami's Concrete Beach.

6. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

I prefer a good squash base, and I always love cinnamon which tends to dominate the spices so I voted mashup. If you get too much spice and not enough squash, a lot of pumpkin ales are forgettable because they all taste the same.

MaltheadWeirdo and seakayak like this.
  7. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,645) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

I voted mashup. One of my favorites was SA Pumpkin Batch, a saison brewed with pumpkin and spices. Good sweetness and body from the pumpkin, and the spices melded nicely with the yeasty character of the farmhouse ale. None this year, sadly - although I did find some from last year in a discount cart at the grocery store a few weeks ago. Still drinking nicely, BTW.

MaltheadWeirdo and seakayak like this.
  8. rronin

rronin Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2005 Washington

Ever make a Pumpkin Pie Float?

seakayak likes this.
  9. WCKDVBZ

WCKDVBZ Meyvn (1,169) May 9, 2014 South Carolina

I honestly can never taste pumpkin. Just spices! And I'm aware that some "Pumpkin Ales" do not contain any pumpkin at all.

10. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,860) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Sure , it's even become an annual Thanksgiving thing for me nowadays . I even planned ahead and already got extra Lakefront Imperial Pumpkin this year .

seakayak likes this.
  11. seakayak

Society

If you're still searching for a perfectly balanced pumpkin pie/ pumpkin squash flavored beer, try to get your hands on Cambridge Brewing's The Great Pumpkin. Let it warm up before pouring, and it's just awesome.

12. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Zealot (573) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Saucony Creek Maple Mistress... its out now, and I've had it before so generally pass over it, but I fondly remember that beer tasting delicious

seakayak likes this.
  13. bbtkd

Society Trader

Not sure I'll ever find a decent pumpkin pie beer, so perhaps I'll buy myself a bigass pumpkin pie, some whip-cream, and wash it down with one of my favorite beers; a CBS, BCBS, or Pirate Bomb.

14. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,006) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

The less pie spice I can taste in a Pumpkin beer and more pumpkin I can taste, the more I am likely to enjoy it.

15. rtrasr

rtrasr Disciple (318) Feb 16, 2009 Arkansas

I will be on the lookout for this, I like pumpkin beer and adore porter. Mothers has a great Oktoberfest that I really like right now.

16. rtrasr

It is almost like finding the right balance between malt and hops. The same with squash and spice.

seakayak and cavedave like this.
  17. bbtkd

Society Trader

And sugar. Avery Rumpkin could have been a great pumpkin beer if they didn't start by filling the bottle with sugar, then pouring in as much beer as the sugar would absorb. I was bummed since I like rum BA beers and pumpkin, and they made Rumpkin cloyingly sweet. Couldn't taste the rum or pumpkin. Avery Pump[KY]n is much better.

rtrasr likes this.
  18. rtrasr

I don't like my beer too sweet either.

bbtkd likes this.
  19. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

I forget the beer but the brewer used roasted not canned pumpkin and it was delicious!

seakayak and cavedave like this.
  20. seakayak

Society

Maria, I'll bet you're thinking of Tröegs Master of Pumpkins!

utopiajane likes this.
  21. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,006) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Fire Island Beer Company used to make one that was lots of pumpkin in the mash, and just the lightest hint of pie spice that was really good.

One of our locals posted pics daily of the process of taking fresh pumpkins, processing them, roasting them, and then using them in the mash. This was a few years ago, never had a chance to try it.

My favorite pumpkin beer was a pumpkin wild ale (the name of which escapes me)

utopiajane likes this.
  22. Ahonky

Ahonky Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2018 New York

I'm in the Smuttynose camp - though I buy just one sixpack a year and usually drink 3 of them and give three away. Generally detest the style, but am still open to being converted

23. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Devotee (488) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

A few things,
    1. Pumpkin does have a lot of flavor on its own. It depends on the pumpkin used and was it harvested when it was fully ripe.
    2. Squash, referring to winter type squashes, have even more flavor, thus, I made a pumpkin ale using Suger pie pumpkin delicata squash and sweet mama squash with just a small amount of cinnamon stick. Wort was super flavored.

And finally, tons of spice, like using a pumpkin pie spice mix , just taste gross to me.

Go pumpkin squash

seakayak likes this.
  24. Lahey

Lahey Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

Curious about dogfish heads punkin brown ale. I saw it today, almost bit... but it's hard to commit to an entire 6 pack if it's heavily spiced. Anyone try it?

25. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,226) Sep 15, 2014 New York
    Society

Is this poll even a fair comparison? I've never really been able to taste the actual pumpkin in a pumpkin ale, and I don't think there's such a thing as a pumpkin ale without the addition of pie spices. I thought the appeal of a pumpkin ale was the taste of the spices.

utopiajane and seakayak like this.
  26. DISKORD

DISKORD Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2017 South Carolina

Pump[KY]n has been discontinued. And I too, liked it much better than Rumpkin.

bbtkd likes this.
  27. bbtkd

Society Trader

Bummer! Oh well, they could bring it back sometime, and meanwhile they still have a lot of great BA creations.

You know, I'm starting to think I should take beers I already love, and add pumpkin pie extract to them. Pumpkin BCBS could be blasphemy :wink:

#67 bbtkd, Sep 28, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    DISKORD likes this.
  28. seakayak

Society

Over the next few weeks most everyone will see a fresh jack-o'-lantern. Give one a sniff. You'll get a whiff of that same raw pumpkin-squashy aroma from Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale - probably the most pumpkin-squashy tasting one around. Well done, but with minimal pie spices. Pumking is at the other end of the spectrum, with over-the-top pie spices.

Wanting a Pumking and getting a Smuttynose is exactly why I started this poll.

29. MistaRyte

Trader

Lots of ppl on here sing its praises.

Myself, the newest pumpkin ale I've sampled is Two Roads Roadsmarys Baby (rum aged pumpkin) and I thought it very meh. But I still have 3 cans left, maybe they'll be better.

Lahey and seakayak like this.
  30. Lahey

Lahey Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

Sounds like a good enough beer to try (punkin brown), I like brown ales anyway. I'll grab a sixer if it's still available this weekend and report back.

31. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,176) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Pumpkin Stouts/Porters are my personal favorite of all the pumpkin beers. Cape Ann Fisherman Pumpkin Stout was a favorite (haven't seen it in years) and more recently Trick or Treat by Evil Genius (to be frank it's probably the only good beer I've had from them)

meefmoff, drtth and seakayak like this.
  32. BigHopValley

BigHopValley Initiate (0) Jul 18, 2014 Washington

Agreed
    The best one ive tasted was locally brewed on tap @Hopvine
    high gravity lb's & lb's of roasted pumpkin flesh, some spice, but no
    nutmeg (which I feel ruins the flavor)...

cavedave and seakayak like this.
  33. lrend13

lrend13 Initiate (0) Sep 26, 2018 Wisconsin

I really enjoy Lakefront's Pumpkin Lager. For me it has just enough pumpkin taste without it being overwhelming. The spice and candied yam tastes are pretty subtle too.

seakayak likes this.
  34. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

May have to give this one a try then. Mostly I've not been impressed with their line up.

tzieser likes this.
  35. meefmoff

meefmoff Devotee (468) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Very much with you in preferring the darker pumpkins and Cape Ann in particular. They do still make that beer, as well as an Imperial version (which rocks), though I don't know about the extent of their distribution these days.

Their brewpub is absolutely worth a visit if you're ever in the area. Great older school place right on the water. Good pub food too.

I'll have to keep an eye out for the Evil Genius. Not sure if we get that around here.

tzieser likes this.
  36. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,176) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Yeah I’m with you. I don’t really like any of their beers. I mean, Trick or Treat is not amazing but it’s good and it works well for the season. No actual pumpkin is used and the chocolate addition scared me but it isn’t too sweet. It’s also a bit stronger than I was expecting @ 7%. The roasted malt goes well with the pumpkin spices, IMO. It’s a good pumpkin stout well worth trying just not my favorite of all I’ve had.

Ah man I’d love to check it out. I miss the old microbrew days. I’ll keep an eye out for Fisherman’s Pumpkin Stout next time I’m visiting home! Yeah that imperial version is great too I just like the regular one a bit more personally (probably because you can drink more of them lol)

Honorable mention for pumpkin stout/porter: Four Peaks Pumpkin Porter out of AZ

meefmoff and drtth like this.
  37. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,226) Sep 15, 2014 New York
    Society

I have heard that about the Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale, but I've never tried it because I don't want to commit to buying a six pack of it, and I've never seen it as singles.

seakayak likes this.
  38. MistaRyte

Trader

Story: Today I rolled into Cape Charles Brewing Co (second brewery on E Shore of VA after Black Narrows in Chincoteague, first new E Shore brewery visit for me, lived on ESVA for 10 years). I'm always fairly excited for new brewery visits. My bro gets a hefeweizen and I get the DIPA... I enjoyed mine, wouldn't change a thing, GREAT!

I request a sample of the pumpkin they have on tap and the sample comes "rimmed" with sugar/cinnamon. For all I know from the sample, it could have been a tasteless beer with the sugar on the rim.

I need to start requesting this sort of stuff now: "Do you guys put Cinnamon Toast Crunch mix on the rim? Yeah? Well don't do that to mine please"

seakayak likes this.
  39. Milktoast75

Milktoast75 Devotee (417) Oct 27, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society

Year after year I read these reviews and actually convince myself that these beers do sound delicious. Even crazier is that I believe I would enjoy them. But over the years I stopped buying them as it was a waste. I’ve tried many but I just can’t find the one for me.
    Best of luck to you all on finding your ‘Great Pumpkin’ beer!

seakayak likes this.
  40. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,686) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Pie all day. I like the actual flavor of pumpkin, but it needs spices (though not necessarily "pie" spices) to actually make it pop in a meaningful way.
    There are places that use pumpkin without spices and it shockingly adds almost nothing beyond texture. Some places (like Trinity) apparently use it a lot for that purpose alone.

seakayak likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.