Portland Beer Week

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by John_M, Jun 5, 2018.

1. John_M

John_M Moderator (6,217) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Premium

https://www.beeradvocate.com/events/info/85144/

Is almost upon us.

Have just glanced over the various events (were it not for a recent Belmont Station email update I likely would have forgotten all about this), and didn't see anything that really stood out as "a must" attend event. However, I didn't look at every event all that closely (did I mention I'm lazy?), so was wondering if there is anything "on tap" during the week that anyone feels is a must attend event.

2. NWer

NWer Crusader (758) Mar 10, 2009 Washington

Portland has a beer year. What makes this so special?

3. John_M

Premium

I think that's part of the problem. Given what a "normal" weekend is like here, BW events will need to be really, really awesome to get much attention.

4. boralyl

boralyl Devotee (491) Apr 17, 2008 Oregon

Masters of IPA event and the Cellarmaker tap takeover at Saraveza are on my todo list.

5. ppilot

ppilot Initiate (79) Jul 17, 2009 Oregon

Reposting over in this thread as it didn't look like the closed thread I started was merged.

Thoughts on a couple events I've been too so far:

Fruit Beer Festival - Was massively disappointed considering the breweries invovledy. Allegory was good as was Pfriem's Nectarine sour, but that was about it. Breakside's Pastry beer was just not my thing

Olympia Provisions/Wayfinder Pairing - Holy hell this was amazing. Completely nailed the pairing and Wayfinder's new Kolsch is one of the best around right out of the gate.

Dirty Pretty Brewing/Breakside's collab and official beer of PDX beer week - Some background....ChefsTable became a majority shareholder of Ross Island Brewing and has since been renamed it Dirty Pretty Brewing. Anyway their Hazy was listed as the official beer of the PDX beer week (likely helped by some contributions by Chefs Table). I did not like it at all. Almost no body, pure juice, very little hop backbone, and a non-existent finish.

Events I will be checking out this week.

- Reuban's/Bale Breaker Tap Take Overs at Belmont Station and Saraveza
    - Masters of IPA at Ecliptic
    - Beer and Cheese Fest.

Anybody else planning on hitting anything up?

sharpski likes this.
  6. ppilot

So a bunch of beer events going on this evening:

Reuben's/Bale Breaker Crush on Portland - This will be going on at both Saraveza and Belmont Station. They had a couple of beers that normally don't show up in Portland. If you are craving more Reuben's, Lardo West is doing a Tap Take Over all week.

FT George Tap Take Over at Beer'Clock - Can't find a taplist right now but will update when I do

Burial Brewing Tap Take Over - Beer Mongers is hosting this pretty hyped Asheville, NC Brewery. The owner seemed pretty excited about this one and the taplist looks really fun.

Modern Times Mega Buddies - Bunch of fun beers that we rarely/never see in Portland namely from Alvarado St, Pizza Port, Cellarmaker, and some Modern Times Collaborations that never make it up here.

7. John_M

Premium

If this were on a weekend, I'd try to hit up several of these events. The events at Beermongers and MT sound particularly interesting, but in the end, if I'm able to go to anything, it will probably be the Belmont Station event. I'm hoping the Scotch Parabola from last night will still be pouring, and I'm a huge fan of Reuben's crush series IPA's/DIPA's/TIPA's. So hopefully I can try some of those as well.

The 5 to 8 PM window isn't a good one for me, as I do the driving to and from work, and also prepare dinner week nights. However, I'm hoping I can take off from work a bit early today, and make a quick jump over to Belmont Station. Really want to try that scotch parabola.

8. ppilot

I honestly think PDX Beerweek has WAY too many things going on at the same time. On Saturday alone I think there are something like six event going on simultaneously. If I was an out of area brewery, I would probably prefer to wait until you could get more visibility.

9. vurt

vurt Savant (962) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Premium

Fixed that for me.

kemoarps and lanedlr like this.
  10. derftron

derftron Disciple (308) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

Apex has a pretty bad-ass taplist featuring Boneyard / Wayfinder / and Firestone Walker.

very tempting.....

https://www.apexbar.com/menu

11. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,595) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Trader

But, that's kinda the point of having a "beer week". Have so many things going on at once, that drives chatter, then folks have to choose. Especially in PDX, where the static scene is so busy, you've really gotta go above and beyond to make a beer week work.

NWer likes this.
  12. ppilot

So probably could do a post listing Saturday events, but even with everything going on Breakside's Woodlawn Block party kinda stands out. Here's the taplist:

Big Bug Hunter
    Bourbon Barrel Aged Aztec
    Bourbon Barrel Aged Salted Caramel Stout
    India Golden Ale
    Qualia
    Bazooka Face
    Breakside IPA
    Breakside Stout
    Coming Out Party
    Cuddle Puddle
    Fourth Wave
    Get Your Friend
    Gose
    Israeli Table Beer
    Lords of Spelt
    Lucky as Helles
    Lunch Break
    India Session Ale
    Mexican Coffee Stout
    Pilsner
    Rainbows & Unicorns
    Session Rice IPA
    Stay West
    Tall Guy IPA
    Wanderlust IPA
    Wombat vs Wallaby
    Hive Mind
    Thirst Trap

13. John_M

Premium

It takes a lot to get me to ever go over to the Apex these days, but the temptation of coconut rye parabola, rum barrel aged suge Knite, and Tequilia Bourbon BA PNC just might do the trick.

Lazerlobe, jakecattleco and sharpski like this.
  14. derftron

agreed.

also, its about 20 blocks from Imperial, which has a sick pFriem lambic taplist tonight. That Nectarine beer is apparently awesome.

15. John_M

Premium

LOL! That would be too much of a good thing. Just can't do it.

Coconut rye parabola is pretty good, but I got to be honest. It's not even in the same league with coconut bbomb. Drinking the parabola really makes me appreciate just how good coconut bbomb is.

Onward to the PNC, with its Apex friendly pricing ($10 for a 6 ounce glass).

16. sharpski

sharpski Champion (838) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Trader

I'd be interested to hear what you think of the Rum Suge Knite if you get it.

17. John_M

Premium

The PNC is quite tasty.

18. John_M

Premium

Please. Of course I got it.

Pretty good. I think the rum flavor goes well with the base beer. There's actually a fair amount of rum in this beer, if you like that sort of thing (and I do). The beer comes across as sweeter, and there's less chocolate and light coffee in the beer. I seem to pick up more licorice as well.

What surprised me, is that at 14% abv, the beer actually comes across as a bit thin on the palate. All that aside, I had no difficulty forcing down my 6 ounce glass of it.

Christ but the music selection totally sucks in this place. Can't they find a decent ABBA sound track some place. Or if not that, at least some Coldplay?

19. vurt

Premium

I'd pay high prices
    To ensure Apex' soundtrack
    Never sinks that low.

Spikester, luwak, kemoarps and 5 others like this.
  20. derftron

Yeah, I actually think regular Parabola is way better than any of the variants. parabajava didnt do it for me either.

PNC is a Hall of Fame beer. Wish they would make it again so I could get some from a place other than Apex

jakecattleco, Joshbiir and sharpski like this.
  21. ppilot

Quick thoughts after going to a couple events yesterday:

- Reuben's Haze in the Hood and Three Crushkateers were both fantastic and are some of the best Hazy IPA's out there.
    - I would drink the hell out of Bale Breaker's Raging Ditch if it was available in cans.
    -Alvarado St and Cellar Maker beers were also very good with Haole Punch and Bucket of Truth being the highlights.
    - MT's Berliner collab with Bottle Logic was my favorite of the MT's one off beers.
    -Burial Brewing Beers were not my thing. I would call them overly experimental and a little aggressive for my tastes.

Of note Beermongers is having a Small WA Brewery night on Friday which includes a number of breweries we don't see down here very often.

vurt and sharpski like this.
  22. weaverr

weaverr Initiate (141) Jun 10, 2008 Oregon

Burial has always been on the more "creative" side of beers, but they used to be very good at it. I've been to their brewery before they started experimenting with sours and they were making some really solid hoppy and dark beers. Their Bolo coconut stout is great. I wish they hadn't shifted gears and focused on sours so much recently.

23. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,013) May 23, 2011 Washington

I really like the Burial/Holy Mountain Saison that Toronado had on tap during Seattle Beer Week.

Joshbiir likes this.
  24. beertunes

Trader

Damn straight G. Been on that train for years. Great brew, IMHO.

vurt likes this.
  25. John_M

Premium

My take as well on everything you said. Love the regular Parabola, and have yet to have a variant that's anywhere near as good.

PNC is really, really good. Though obviously, at the Apex price point, I won't be ordering it again any time soon.

26. Joshbiir

Joshbiir Initiate (39) Dec 8, 2016 Washington

I'll be down there briefly this weekend. Anything special an out of towner might not realize they should really go to Saturday night? Otherwise my plan is just upright/wayfinder/ex novo instead of beer week events.

27. shelby415

shelby415 Crusader (792) Oct 10, 2011 Oregon

Imperial on Division is having a sour beer event. De Garde, Great Notion, Pfriem, RR among others. Plus it appears you can just buy the glass and as many tickets as you want rather than a package deal. If you like sour beer it sounds worthwhile.

luwak and Joshbiir like this.
  28. Keene

Keene Editorial Director (845) Sep 11, 2009 Washington
    Staff

I'm also popping down for the weekend. I'll be starting Saturday with the Beer and Cheese Fest and am intrigued by Breakside's Block party. On Sunday I plan to do Gigantic's Snackdown.

29. ppilot

If you add on the Lager Event going on at Belmont station, that is pretty much my schedule as well.

Keene likes this.
  30. honkduh

honkduh Aspirant (217) Jun 2, 2011 Oregon

Washington Brewers night seems fun.

31. luwak

luwak Aspirant (217) Mar 2, 2010 Arizona

you can just walk over the the Falling Rock Taphouse...in Denver....

no Coldplay or Abba on their speakers either....

32. TheRealDBCooper

TheRealDBCooper Aspirant (217) Mar 17, 2010 Svalbard & Jan Mayen Islands

Ended up there by accident and now I'm hoping pFriem bottles the Japanese Lager.

33. John_M

Premium

I've always wanted to visit Falling Rock, but google says that would be at least a 17 day walk to get there. So I think I'll stick with getting the beer at the Apex, despite the weird techno metal music the bartender seems to like.

34. beertunes

Trader

17 days seems optimistic.

35. vurt

Premium

Agreed. That's about 60 miles a day.

beertunes likes this.
  36. vurt

Premium

It's pretty unlikely that either of those bands will appear in Apex's metal/punk/hip-hop rotation any time soon. Even as a joke.

Or to put it another way:

Coldplay at Apex?
    Man, that's like Justin Bieber
    At CBGB.

37. itracy63

itracy63 Disciple (392) Apr 20, 2013 Washington

I walked to Denver in 12 days, wasn’t really that hard either

38. John_M

Premium

Well of course, thats assuming you don't sleep, eat or piss/shit along the way. You cut those out of the equation and it's a piece of cake.

#38 John_M, Jun 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  39. ppilot

Quick Run Down of my PDX Beer Week Shenanigans

Masters of IPA Event - Had some good IPA's though i feel like they lost something in the fest setting. Highlights were everything from Cloudburst, Sunriver's Emotional Support Peacock, Noble's Session IPA, Pizza Port Village King, Moderns Time Like a Statue. Bonus points for identifying all the brewers in attendance (and there were a lot)

PDX Beer and Cheese Fest - First time attending and I was very impressed. I really haven't done any pairing events and it was crazy how good all the beers worked with their respective cheese partners. Might have to do one of these at home.

Lager event at Belmont Station - Might have been my favorite event all week. Chuckanut's Gerste Lager and Marzen were amazing.while Pfriem's Japanese Lager, Mexican Lager, and Cerveza Negra were really damn good. I really really want them to bottle the Japanese Lager. Saw that Pete Dunlop and some Beer Advocate people were there as well.

Small WA Brewer Night - This was right up there with the lager event. as pretty much every beer was great. My favorites were Holy Mountain Heavenless IPA, Cloudburst Gentle Coast Pale, and Mirage Every Little step.

40. luwak

luwak Aspirant (217) Mar 2, 2010 Arizona

well CBGB closed in 2006 before Justin had a career as hs debit album was 2008 or 2009... so....

vurt likes this.