Possible Bad Trader: 13t13oland

Discussion in 'Bad Traders' started by Joplamp, Aug 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joplamp

Joplamp Initiate (109) Apr 24, 2016 Michigan
    Trader

So first time running into an issue with a trade on BA. I’ve been a little cautious about posting this, but consulted with some trade partners and mods to see if I should post. Since it seems this is becoming more prevalent I wanted to post.

Including our conversation so you can judge for yourself. @13t13outland and I started a conversation on 7/25, simple locals trade for CW Stouts (my end) for some Pittsburgh hops (his). Let him know I’ve seen them locally and could check the next day if he couldn’t close.

Hit him up on 7/26 to make sure he didn’t close before I went to the store. Messaged me back that we could “definitely close” if I could get the Brewers Reserve stuff. Bought 4pks of Peruvian Morning and Cassian Sunset and let him know. Got a note back asking for cost ($21/4pk) and letting me know he was picking stuff up that night.

Since then, radio silence. I’ve sent 5 messages, he’s been on numerous times, but not responding.

End of the day, I wasn’t asking for anything crazy (I don’t think), was trying to help out, but then got ghosted after buying beer. All I needed was some communication, let me know if it was too much, something. I just feel like this hurts the community when you get beer for someone and then they ghost. Feel free to tell me I’m being a baby, but had to throw it out there.

https://i.imgur.com/HI9TuUT.png

2. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (4,736) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Trader

Well, at least you've got some good beer on hand. I'm sure some other Pittsburgh area traders, if not here then on FB, would love to trade for those.

Addressing your particular situation, it's always a good idea to get a commitment, and have a trade request accepted, if you're even the slightest bit nervous about being screwed over on beer you weren't otherwise planning on buying. It can tend to motivate and hold people to a deal they might not feel that enthusiastic about the next day.

Trying to stay positive, it's only been a few days since he last responded to you, so you're in a good window here and maybe it can still get done. But he has been online since then, which is a potential indicator that he is ignoring you intentionally.

@13t13oland were you still wanting to complete this deal?

SammyJaxxxx and nomadicbeer like this.
  3. Joplamp

Trader

Haha true true. And I agree on the trade system piece. I usually roll with it when someone is communicating on the spot and understand the risk. I can suffer through $40 on beer, but hate seeing this stuff happen.

This community is full of good people willing to help out others. As with all of the bad trader posts I’ve seen communication seems to always be the missing component

4. Vidblain

Vidblain Crusader (725) Feb 17, 2017 Minnesota
    Premium Trader

This is seriously unfortunate and couldn't have happened to a nicer guy - really sorry to read about this @Joplamp. I've seen this happening more frequently as well. I'm guessing that, per forum rules, you have no recourse without an accepted trade offer... But I hope that this can be worked out somehow.

Damn. I was just eyeballing this forum today, thinking it had been surprisingly quiet.

5. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Disciple (343) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Trader

It’s very frustrating that there is no recourse if a trade did not go through. All circumstances are different, and for sure being able to drive 5 minutes down the road is separate from making a long trek. -OR picking up Sheffield vs. walking into a store and finding something limited that someone said they wanted, and you knew If you waited that it would not be there anymore.

Still, it’s impossible to agree to trades a priori sometimes. I recently posted a trade for Answer/Veil. I could not commit to a trade because what if ai couldn’t get it? Then I am the ass that committed but can’t make it right. Conversely, I am not making a 7 hour drive and spending 40-150bones without commitment that someone wants something. That’s equally ludicrous.

We have seen some BT threads where it was not clear that there was a “real agreement,” but in both my case and in the case above, there obviously was. I am grateful that my trade went perfectly, and I am very sorry for OP that his did not. Still, despite understanding why these rules exist, it seems shitty that you can fall through a loophole because no good policy exists for such special circumstances.

Dragginballs76 and njk82 like this.
  6. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (2,162) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

Sorry to see this happened to you buddy. Glad you started this thread. I had the same thing happen to me. I spent $60 of Barrel Aged Bigfoot to find out the guy made another deal and didn't need the beer he asked me to buy.
    I hope it works out for you .

7. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (1,502) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Premium Trader

It does not look like 13t13 has re-accepted the beer trader rules, he does not have the trader banner. Can he see this thread?

Good luck @Joplamp , hope this gets resolved in some way for you.

8. bigda83

bigda83 Initiate (121) Feb 13, 2014 New York
    Trader

It doesn't appear that @13t13oland even has an active trader account at this time either. I know things switched recently so maybe it's possible they did when talking with OP originally and then haven't verified the account since the changes.

9. bigda83

bigda83 Initiate (121) Feb 13, 2014 New York
    Trader

Lol, apparently we had the same idea at the same time on this one.

10. Preluderl

Preluderl Devotee (470) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

@Joplamp what from Pittsburgh were you looking for?

Boldbrew likes this.
  11. John_M

John_M Moderator (6,069) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Premium

The OP has been taken care of in terms of finding an alternative source of hops (I'm shipping him some Great Notion Momo and Oblivion 02, as well as some Fresh Flow from B15). We don't get Central Waters stuff here in PDX, and I'm a huge fan of their reserve level stouts.

As others have pointed out, this sort of behavior appears to becoming more and more prevalent, and I think it hurts the community. Members who might otherwise be inclined to help someone out when looking for a special beer outside their area, will likely think twice about that if it appears there's a chance they'll end up getting saddled with a pile of beer they otherwise wouldn't have obtained.

I'm not sure how to put a stop to this sort of behavior, but I don't think it a bad idea to call out the perpetrator and ask for an explanation.

12. Preluderl

Preluderl Devotee (470) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I agree for sure, and no problem. Just asking because I'm in Pittsburgh and was going to offer to help him out if possible.

13. Sabtos

Trader

Since the user still hasn't worked out his trader status, and likely may not be able to read this (no idea...?), maybe a mod should PM him and make him aware of the situation in some way...?

FBarber, Dragginballs76 and Boldbrew like this.
  14. lookrider

lookrider Defender (610) Apr 22, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I just saw this thread. I finalized a trade with this guy on July 26 and he has been on BA numerous times since. He accepted my trade request but has not even looked at my last message on July 30 asking when he would like to ship. I'm only out a $20 bomber that I bought for the trade which I have no problem keeping. I just assumed he's an immature douchetard and hadn't given it much more thought until I saw this

15. Beer_Economicus

Trader

Sigh :slight_frown:

Boldbrew and njk82 like this.
  16. John_M

Premium

As I told the OP, there seems to be a mindset among certain members that this sort of behavior is "no big deal." They seem to feel that "it's just beer," what's the big deal, can't you just go ahead and drink it yourself instead? The fact that someone may have gone out of their way to purchase some beer on their behalf, using money they otherwise wouldn't have spent on that beer, is something that just doesn't register with them.

17. Sabtos

Trader

Yeah but in this new case he has accepted the trade request and is now in violation of the terms if he fails to follow through.

I think that decides whether we really need a mod to get involved and PM him or set his trader status so he can view this. @dmbforever what do you say?

I knew there was going to be fallout from the changes that removed everyone from being a trader until they re-accepted. Might have been better if as soon as you logged into BA and if you were previously a trader it took you to the proper screen to ensure you were still able to access everything necessary as a trader.

18. Joplamp

Trader

So he just logged in this afternoon. Any idea if he can see the thread?

Boldbrew likes this.
  19. Realsambo

Realsambo Initiate (85) Apr 15, 2016 Idaho
    Trader

He should be able too, I was reading this before I agreed to the new terms.

20. Sabtos

Trader

FBarber and Boldbrew like this.
  21. njk82

njk82 Initiate (65) Dec 10, 2015 Virginia
    Trader

I hadn't updated my trader status when this thread popped and I can confirm that I could see it.

22. lookrider

Trader

Nope, never a word

23. Sabtos

Trader

I know he didn't start the thread @dmbforever but I think this calls for more than a simple reach out message at this point, could be possible contender for BT for not following through with lookrider.

Beer_Economicus and Boldbrew like this.
  24. dmbforever

dmbforever Moderator (729) May 8, 2013 Wisconsin
    Premium

I will message the bad trader directly tomorrow.

@John_M message me next time you need CW goodies

Eziel, FBarber, flat_lander and 4 others like this.
  25. dmbforever

Premium

Message was sent to the trader in question with a direct link to this thread. We shall await a response.

Vidblain, Boldbrew and flat_lander like this.
  26. John_M

Premium

Thanks Dave.

I didn't really need any CW this time, but as I do love their reserve level stouts, and as it appeared the OP had some available that he didn't want or need, this seemed like an opportunity to kill two birds with one stone (pick up some CW goodness and help out the victim of BT behavior).

That being said, I appreciate the offer and will keep your offer in mind. I drink a fair amount of BA stout from all over the country, but in my experience, not many breweries do a better job than CW.

27. eppie82

eppie82 Meyvn (1,021) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

@13t13oland should be banned on the basis of just being a jerk-off. Ghosting people after asking them to buy beer for trades that he never follows through, not bothering to even come on this thread to explain himself (likely has no logical explanation), hasn't posted anything of value on entire forum and is just going to be bringing down the trading community as a whole by being allowed to roam with no repercussions.

Just ban him. No one will miss him.

28. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (2,162) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

He hasn't logged onto BA in 3 days. I guess he saw the thread and decided I'm not going to respond. I bet he opened a new account under a different name.

29. John_M

Premium

If so, he's using a different computer. I'm not showing any other user with his IP address at present.

Looking at his profile, he hasn't been the most active member on BA anyway. In a bit over 2 and half years, I think he's posted maybe 15 times, and those have all been trade offers it appears. So he may be intentionally avoiding responding to this thread, or he may simply have chosen not to log on for a while.

#29 John_M, Aug 13, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  30. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,342) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Trader

So is he getting the boot? He's (to date) failed to follow through on trades with two people - one of which was accepted through the site, so it stands to reason that at least one of these trades is subject to the bad trader rules.

31. John_M

Premium

As you know, there's a history of giving an alleged BT ample opportunity to join the BT thread and tell his side of the story (if there is one). That being said, it's now been going on 5 days since @dmbforever sent him a BM, and going on 6 days since he last logged on. So it's probably time to set some sort of time limit for him to respond before he's banned.

What to you think Dave? Maybe give him till this Thursday to respond? At that point it will have been roughly a week since you sent him a message. If we haven't heard anything from him by then, I have to think we're probably never going to.

On a related note, I got my package of CW beer (with some very nice extras) from the OP on Friday, and FedEx shows that the box I sent him is currently in Mineral, Illinois (with an expected delivery date of Wednesday or Thursday). So on a positive note, it appears the OP is going to come out of this experience not too badly injured after all.

32. Joplamp

Trader

Anyone hook you up yet? I got kept whole, so the least I can do is help you out too. Hit me up with any styles you are looking for and I’ll send you a box

33. lookrider

Trader

Hey, thanks very much for the offer - very generous and much appreciated. I've never turned down free beer in my life but I'm good. I'm not out anything and the bomber I bought for the trade is one I'm happy to keep.

34. Joplamp

Trader

Got it. If you change your mind, please let me know

35. njk82

Trader

TBH I don't trade enough that I need to follow this board as closely as I do. I follow it because people are always taking care of each other and it's a heartwarming reminder of how great this community can be,

36. Sabtos

Trader

So you're saying they should change the name of this forum to Heartwarm Hotline?

SammyJaxxxx, Boldbrew and njk82 like this.
  37. njk82

Trader

I mean it's not the worst idea I've heard this week...

flat_lander, Boldbrew and Sabtos like this.
  38. Beer_Economicus

Trader

Nope. With auto correct people would type "heartworm hotline" and it would change to "Heartwarm hotline."

39. dmbforever

Premium

Sounds good John. If he has not responded by Thursday...we can retire his account. You pretty much nailed it on your response.

Cheers!!

40. John_M

Premium

Probably time to pull the plug on @13t13oland. He hasn't been back online in over a week now, and my guess is that we've likely seen the last of him.

My guess is that he likely IS aware of this thread (based on some of the observations made by @Realsambo and @njk82), and has decided he does not want to address the concerns raised in this thread regarding his behavior.

Unfortunately, the assessments made by @lookrider and @eppie82 appear to be dead on. I don't think he'll be missed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.