Possible Bourbon Barrel Aged Night Train Infection?

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by jRocco2021, Jun 15, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (1,071) Mar 13, 2010 Wisconsin

I bought a case of this at Oso and saw a few reviews on here and RB recently mentioning a sour taste. Curious to hear from people that have had it recently or talked to anyone at Oso. I'm gonna crack one tonight and check it out but am curious about other peoples thoughts and experiences.

Cheers!

2. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2008 Illinois

Had it at the GTOMW ticket line a month or so back, most certainly infected.

Heard the same from some friends who cracked a bottle a couple weeks ago.

Cheers!

3. jRocco2021

Were where you in line at? That's lame guess I might have to contact Oso.

4. SpunkyHopslammer

SpunkyHopslammer Initiate (0) Jan 18, 2011 Illinois

I have a bottle cellared for about 3 months now. Oh boy !

5. jRocco2021

I'm drinking it now with a friend in a snifter. Definatly not the beer I had at the tap room. Not a lot of sourness but its definatly there all the roasty sweetness is gone. I really love this beer too its so sad.

6. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2008 Illinois

Fair enough, while it's probably not how I would go about it, its certainly not a terrible way of looking at it.

The reason I love the Steve's Mineral Point / Junction is that it seems many of the "old school" BA / RB / local folks go to that location. This was my second year, and I will keep going there as long as they are cool with us (and I'd say aside from lack of porta pottys making folks use the back of businesses they have no reason to be upset with us).

Cheers!

jRocco2021 likes this.
  7. maximum12

maximum12 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,662) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I had one a month ago & it was more infected than an oozing sore. One of the foulest infections I've had in a while. Really glad the brewery was out of them when I got there...

8. Kayn169

Kayn169 Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2011 Illinois

I had one a couple weeks ago. My bottle definetly had signs of infection, but it wasn't as bad as some of these other peoples. Mine just had a slight tart cherry aspect. It was still completely drinkable, however, I'm glad I drank it when I did.

9. jRocco2021

This is how mine was no ridiculously sour but it was in there.

10. Soneast

Soneast Pooh-Bah (1,635) May 9, 2008 Wisconsin
    Pooh-Bah

Must be something in the water up there. between CW and Oso...infection city. :grimacing:

11. jRocco2021

Barrels are finicky things. Sanatizing them is harder than you would think it would be.

12. Soneast

Soneast Pooh-Bah (1,635) May 9, 2008 Wisconsin
    Pooh-Bah

Yea, I guess if a brewery can't do it successfully, they should just leave it to the pros. :wink:

13. Gotti311

Gotti311 Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2009 Wisconsin
    Trader

People need to open their minds a bit. As soon as any beer is tabbed as "infected" it is all anyone can think about. We drank a bottle maybe 3 weeks ago and I was in love with it. My bottle had some subtle sour notes in the middle, but it made for an interesting and complex brew.

I am in Madison, if people want to sell their bottles DM me and we will work something out

14. maximum12

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

People also need to open their minds to the fact that some beers are infected, & they suck.

I had no idea there were reports of infection & I was jazzed to get to try this beer. It was foul. Not interesting foul, but shitty, undrinkable, drain-pour foul.

randjuke likes this.
  15. Gotti311

Gotti311 Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2009 Wisconsin
    Trader

Sorry, I definitely did not try to make this come across as I was questioning your tastes. My personal problem is every time I log onto BA, there are 3 threads on the homepage about different beers being infected.

I just want to discourage other from letting a thread influence them before the bottle is opened.

16. maximum12

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Oh, I agree that there's plenty of group-think that goes around the Interwebs (& BA might be worse than most places) but in this case, there's no doubt that this puppy has something terrible going on.

Although it does seem that I'm picking up more infected beers more often these days. Perhaps just an inevitable byproduct of too many people brewing who aren't quite ready to do whatever it is they're trying to do.

17. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2011 Michigan

Filling 60 barrels that are all inoculated with some sort of bacteria in the middle of your brewhouse and not expect a problem, is the problem. I love the guys at Oso, but this could turn out to be an issue in the future.

maximum12 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.