Posting pics from a gallery on phone

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Jasonja1474, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Jasonja1474

Jasonja1474 Initiate (82) Oct 15, 2018 Tennessee
    Trader

Why is it so difficult to post a pic from my gallery? I found I can put it on Imgur then get it in BA but straight from my phone it wants a URL? Don't know what that is lol. Thanks for any help. Have a Motorola Droid turbo 2 phone. Probably too old??

PatrickCT and PapaGoose03 like this.
  2. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,734) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

You insert an image in a forum posting by using the image (landscape icon) button and pasting in the URL of a shared image on an image-hosting site such as Imgur. All forum images must be hosted somewhere since you don't upload them to BA. Your phone model shouldn't matter. I use DropBox myself, but almost any image hosting service should work. Make sure the image is publicly available on Imgur, since it may not be made public by default.

#2 bbtkd, Jan 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  3. Jasonja1474

Trader

yeah that sounds difficult lol. I'm just gonna keep posting to Imgur then move it from there. Thanks for the help though.

Mark-Leggett likes this.
  4. thuey

thuey Aspirant (268) Nov 13, 2015 California

Because images take storage space, and storage costs money. Quite a bit, in fact.

It's pretty standard for most sites not to host media, and only link out to those who do.

Jasonja1474 likes this.
  5. bbtkd

Society Trader

Move it from Imgur to where? You don't upload forum pictures to BA, you link to them from an image-hosting service such as Imgur, and you can easily do that from any Android phone. Doing that from your phone isn't any harder than from a laptop or tablet.

Just to be clear, the way I and most others do it is that we take a picture on our phone, transfer it to an image-hosting site such as Dropbox or Imgur. I do some optional editing to center and crop the image, then capture the URL and add it to my posting on BA, from my laptop or phone.

You really can't do it any differently than that.

meefmoff, drtth and PapaGoose03 like this.
  6. Jasonja1474

Trader

ok thanks got it cheers

bbtkd likes this.
  7. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (3,603) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Posting from the gallery on your phone would be like emailing someone the link to a work document that's saved on your hard drive. The link shows up, but leads no where since the other users don't have access to the save location.

That third party save location is what 'hosts' the image to make it openable to others, and by turn, view-able by others.

8. bbtkd

Society Trader

Note also that as far as image-hosting services go, there is no free lunch. Many folks who use only free services have had to move from site to site when some sites have gone under due to lack of funds, started charging, become unreliable, or they've added unworkable restrictions. I opted to go with a paid service (DropBox) so I don't have to play whack-a-mole. I also use DropBox to backup up family pictures and other files.

9. Jasonja1474

Trader

Ok good. I just thought I was doing something wrong.
    Thanks for all the knowledge you guys dropped. Appreciate it.

10. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,833) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

If you use Imgur, make sure that you use the Direct Link url...

Amendm, PapaGoose03 and Harrison8 like this.
  11. Nickapalooza1986

Nickapalooza1986 Initiate (1) Aug 17, 2019

12. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,487) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

It didn't work, Nick. No pic is visible, just the little icon and [​IMG]

Amendm likes this.
  13. Bitterbill

Society Trader

Amendm likes this.
  14. Amendm

Amendm Zealot (576) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Society

I tried the link, I get the little pic like Nickapalooza1986 did.
    This is the URL? I made https//ibb.co/WyWt1nx.

What is this Direct Link url and do I need to be a member of imgbb for it to work?

15. Bitterbill

Society Trader

Did you click upload image now? After that, copy the bbcode full link.

[​IMG]

Amendm likes this.
  16. Amendm

Society

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I tried https//ibb.co/WyWt1nx and without the https and still no luck. I will find some help with this later, thanks.

17. bbtkd

Society Trader

That URL is missing the colon, then it works in my browser. Should be "https://ibb.co/WyWt1nx". But then I just tried it in this post and it didn't work with the colon. That must not be the URL for just the image, and the Beer Advocate site must not like the extra text.

Bitterbill and Amendm like this.
  18. Bitterbill

Society Trader

[​IMG]
    upload

Amendm and bbtkd like this.
  19. bbtkd

Society Trader

From the browser showing the page at that original link, I right clicked on the picture, copied the URL, and inserted it into this post. BA likes this better because it's just an image. The URL I ended up with is https://i.ibb.co/r6GsJk7/20190518-195728.jpg

[​IMG]

Bitterbill and Amendm like this.
  20. Amendm

Society

Thanks Guys, I will have some time tomorrow to work on this.

That picture was taken back in June and the beer was awesome.

bbtkd and Bitterbill like this.
  21. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (2,195) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

Try postimage and copy and paste the direct link, third from the bottom.

bbtkd, Bitterbill and Amendm like this.
  22. bbtkd

Society Trader

@Amendm another thought is to back up a bit when taking pictures with your phone. When you're too close you get a lot of distortion since phones generally have cheap plastic lenses. But that means you'll usually want to edit the picture to crop and perhaps slightly rotate. It must be me and not my phone, because with my last two phones I rarely get an image that is properly level. I usually have to rotate it counterclockwise from somewhere between .5 and 2 degrees, almost every damn time.

Amendm and Bitterbill like this.