Posting reviews without text to back it up

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by hottenot, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Purp1eOne

Purp1eOne Crusader (740) Oct 23, 2010 Illinois
    Society

I use my ratings for my own log, looking back I probably should have reviewed more so I would have more detail on why I rated the beer the way I did but it wouldn't have been for karma. As you can tell being a member since 2010 I am not really worried about that. :wink:

Not saying there is anything wrong with tracking karma, I run a forum myself and its a good idea to keep people active and on the site.

2. rgordon

rgordon Savant (937) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

That is a very nice entry for all of us to see your view of beer. If one is compelled to describe beer impressions, even just for personal notes, this is a good thing. Writing about beer is fun and the more smart commentators the better.

Bitterbill and Scrapss like this.
  3. Junior

Junior Defender (600) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

Found an interesting beer rater today when look at beers from a relatively new brewery. One beer had 5 ratings and one review. The ratings were all just above or just below 4, except for one which was 5. I clicked on the members profile and found that the member had rated over 100 beers. All but one were from this same brewery and all but one of those were rated 5 (the lone non-5 was 4.98).

Reviews >>>>>> Ratings

4. Claude-Irishman

Claude-Irishman Crusader (706) Jun 4, 2015 New Jersey
    Society

When I look at reviews I only read ones that are able to be read. Just numbers is a quick way to rate beer, but no Karma should be awarded in my opinion. It is sort of half assed in my opinion-

5. Spaten454

Spaten454 Disciple (357) Aug 23, 2012 Texas
    Trader

I don't mind users being able to just give a numerical rating without writing a review. The bigger issue I think is not being to pick a vintage year of a brew. Sure, the vintage can be stated in a review but not everyone says what year bottle they are reviewing. I'd like the reviews more if I knew which year they are talking about.

Junior and SoCalBeerIdiot like this.
  6. Claude-Irishman

Claude-Irishman Crusader (706) Jun 4, 2015 New Jersey
    Society

I definitely agree about the vintage, the vintage can change the profile of the entire beer-

Junior likes this.
  7. JamFuel

JamFuel Poo-Bah (3,791) Mar 26, 2009 Sweden
    Society

I don’t mind people not writing full reviews, but something that has started annoying me is users who always rate with the same score in each category. I understand that they just want to give an overall score, like on Untappd, but come on, spend a few seconds extra actually looking, smelling and feeling as well as drinking.

8. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Champion (894) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Society

No

Junior likes this.
  9. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (4,175) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

Again ... nothing is stopping that member from posting 150 words and the same 5.0 score. Nothing. Sure, it means there is less effort required on his (or her) part, but if he wants to skew the ratings in favor of a brewery, a review does absolutely nothing to impede that.

If you see someone abusing the rating system - whether they are accompanying the rating with a review or not - the proper action is to report it. Flag the rating. Send a moderator an e-mail. The only thing stopping people from reporting abusive ratings is the same laziness they decry in people who don't post reviews.

I'll take a Review over a Rating any day - I'm not disagreeing that it carries more value. But what you're complaining about here (a valid complaint, by the way) is not the same thing.

Reporting >>>>> Posting

Junior, rudzud, lrend13 and 3 others like this.
  10. Junior

Society Trader

I hope this was not directed at me.

11. beer_beer

beer_beer Aspirant (228) Feb 13, 2018 Finland
    Society

I think my numbers mean something.

Junior and DBosco like this.
  12. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (4,175) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

Only if the shoe fits. I have no idea how many reviews you may have flagged.

What I do have a good idea of is how many people have made the same (or similar) complaint in this thread, and how few review flags I see come across the reports. Funny enough, it's even easier to report a review/rating than it is to write 150 characters in a review, yet so few people do.

If you've got a user you feel is abusing the ratings system, feel free to report the review/rating, and/or send me, or any other moderator, an e-mail. Believe it or not, I would appreciate it and take it seriously.

drtth, JayORear, cjgiant and 3 others like this.
  13. Junior

Society Trader

I guess I didn’t see it as abuse. I also didn’t see the so called abuser as being lazy. Thanks for jumping to that conclusion for me.

I was just trying to point out to all to be wary of all ratings,

14. rudzud

rudzud Poo-Bah (6,164) Apr 28, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

What 'grinds my goat' is people who blatantly give low scores because they don't like a brewery, are from out of state, have some vendetta, or are from a rival brewery. I've come across it numerous times here. Just like people who will fluff out a 'review' by just bashing a brewery so it'll be counted as a review and not just a had and therefor weighed more. That type of blatant abuse should result in some sort of punishment on here, or at the very least the 'review' in question should be removed.

Harrison8, Junior, drtth and 2 others like this.
  15. rudzud

Society Trader

I don't think anyone is going to change their opinion/mind here. Also, it's really beating a dead horse to complain about ratings vs reviews...as I proceed to do just that. Sure, I am of a mindset that if I wanted to stare at unexplained, arbitrary numbers on a beer's page I would use that particular site/ap but there's a reason why I don't. Like others have said it's one thing for it to be some beer like DFH120 that has a plethora of information on it, it's something entirely different when the beer in question is not on the same scale traffic wise. I see a random stout that has 10 hads, no reviews, with a 4 rating...okay, so, it's maybe decent. But why is it decent? Same goes if it's a 2...why. No valuable information about the actual beer can be garnered, it might as well be a 0 or '-' still. And that's supposed to be the whole point of this site; an accumulation of useful information and advocacy...something bare numbers simply don't do.

stevepat, gatornation and Junior like this.
  16. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,871) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Removal requires a moderator's attention. Use the report button on the "blatant abuse" review, if the mod agrees with you....it's gone.

17. Junior

Society Trader

If you see abuse of the system, report it to a moderator. There is no report button for ratings, only reviews.

#177 Junior, Jun 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  18. rudzud

Society Trader

Yeah I've reported a bunch of stuff, sometimes it's gone sometimes it isnt.

drtth likes this.
  19. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (5,074) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Trader

Same on written reviews for places. I often search cities i will be close to on vacation look at bars,restaurants,and stores. Like to read other peers thought as to why they score high or low and then determine if i want to visit based on those thoughts. Very important information.

Harrison8, rudzud and PapaGoose03 like this.
  20. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,298) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

I used to rely on ratings a long, long time ago. There were fewer choices and Pennsylvania had the case law so when I bought something it was the whole case.

Today I'd take a simple recommendation from anyone I trust on this site or in person.

The thing is there is just so much beer out no one person can drink them all and if you try to you will literally kill yourself.

Last time I was in the beer store the beer dudes were joking they recommend beers they haven't even tried because it is impossible to try even half of what is available.

drtth and Harrison8 like this.
  21. drtth

Which is exactly why @Roguer suggested above:

"If you've got a user you feel is abusing the ratings system, feel free to report the review/rating, and/or send me, or any other moderator, an e-mail. Believe it or not, I would appreciate it and take it seriously."

Someone gaming the entire system won't be "detected" from a single report of a single post.

22. drtth

Pretty much the same experience here. Ratings numbers provide a clue as to what might be worth trying. Reviews and comments from folks whose judgment I've learned to trust help make the final choice. (I'm cheap and have no desire to waste beer by just grabbing what I haven't tried or what has a cool label and then finding I've lost the gamble.)

FatBoyGotSwagger and PapaGoose03 like this.
  23. chikinhammr

chikinhammr Initiate (94) Sep 3, 2017 Arkansas

Some beers just stink and aren’t worth the time for a full review.

Junior likes this.