Potential Bad Trader alert

Discussion in 'Bad Traders' started by pwdbyhops, Sep 9, 2019 at 3:46 AM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pwdbyhops

pwdbyhops Aspirant (205) Apr 1, 2015 Ohio
    Trader

I started the thread here.
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/ghosted.622513/#post-6621112

I have waited patiently and tried to reach out to this person multiple times in many different ways (work phone, cell phone, PM in this group, through others in the area). The last straw was when I just found that he has been actively untapping beers for the last few weeks. lol

-We were supposed to ship August 26
    -We have an agreed upon trade in the system
    -We have traded before and for the most part, it went smoothly
    -I checked in with the other trader on August 26 and no response (decided not to ship until I get a confirmation....even if that means I am a day behind and have to upgrade shipping or throw in more extras)
    -No response since Aug 26
    -Last seen on BA on Aug 24 according to mods
    -no longer works at the same place as before
    -@dmbforever reviewed the convo
    -Through another BA member, I found the other trader is actively checking in beers on untappd (20 to be exact since Aug 24). There goes the theory that something catastrophic has happened (or maybe that is how he deals with catastrophy?)
    -I asked a friend to substitute proxy one of my bottles to me because my normal proxy doesn't pick up as soon or quickly. This added cost (or inconvenience in trying to move things quicker for this trade) is the only extra cost on my end (not really a big deal in the scheme of things).

At this point, maybe this should just put people on notice. Since I did not ship, nothing is lost on my end really. Not sure how to most appropriately name the trader. nickname? real name? I couldn't find him in facebook groups.

Any other questions....I am happy to answer them

2. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,106) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

Put his ba user name in this thread.

rozzom, Rustytacos, MattOC and 2 others like this.
  3. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,854) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Gotta tag him here in this thread to give him notice of the thread and to see if he comes in and explains his side, or follows through on the trade you guys agreed on.

4. pwdbyhops

Trader

I decided on one more last-ditch effort. I recognized someone that toasted some of his untappd entries. I messaged that person to see if she had recently spoken with him and if he was OK. She says "I think he is okay? Haven't talked to him in about a week". She is going to send him a text message. I hate to put people on public blast but if he doesn't get back to me after this, I am definitely going to put his name on this thread. Let's wait 1-2 more days but if the mods dont mind, can we please keep this thread open here for a day or so while I wait for a response?

rmpic82 and brutalfarce like this.
  5. pwdbyhops

Trader

This is going to be resolved between the parties through a future agreed upon replacement of the bottles that were supposed to be sent. For now, I am not going to leave feedback. Some questions come to mind:

(1) How long do I have to leave feedback? What if I have to wait 2-3 months before the other trader makes up for this? If I don't leave feedback, my reputation is harmed. If I leave positive feedback, and he doesn't make good on his promise, I have sent a conflicting message to this group. If I leave neutral or negative feedback, there might be a negative impact on the trader. While his communication sucked, his situation is a tough one and the situation is not entirely his fault (according to what I understand from him)

(2) How long do I have to leave a bad trader post? Does our official trade agreement expire in the system? What happens in 2-3 months if the other trader does not make good on his promises? These bad trader posts always seem to require an official trade agreement and the current one might go away without ever being resolved.

Any recommendations on how to proceed?

6. FBarber

Society Trader

This will be helpful: https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/trading-feedback-system-explained.185895/

If neither party leaves feedback, then after 60 days the open trade will be purged. That is what I'd personally recommend letting happen here. When he's ready to complete the trade in the future you can re-open a trade request here on the website and then leave feedback once that trade is completed.

As for this thread - I don't know how the mods will handle it - if they'll lock it for the time being or leave it open until the trade is ultimately completed. You'll have to get feedback from @dmbforever or one of the other mods.

7. rmpic82

rmpic82 Aspirant (257) Jan 27, 2017 Kansas
    Trader

After the open trade lapses, the trader in question is off the hook. Who's to say he would agree to a new trade? Why would pwdby trust someone who hasn't met initial expectations?

8. FBarber

Society Trader

Well a few thoughts. First, my understanding from the OP's post was that the unnamed party has already agreed to a future trade to "make this right". So, to me, thats an agreement to complete the trade in the future. Could he ghost again in the future? Sure. If that happens, then @pwdbyhops should update the mods and this thread can be modified to perhaps name the party and leave it up for future reference.

Second, even if @pwdbyhops does leave feedback under the current open trade, if the unnamed party doesn't leave feedback, the unfinished feedback will get scrubbed in 6 months anyway. And really, feedback shouldn't be left until the beer is exchanged. I get that the unnamed party ghosted pwdby in this transaction - but technically, feedback is supposed to be left only if beer is sent (which didn't happen here).

Finally, whether or not pwdby wants to trust the unnamed person for a future trade is totally up to him. Based on his posts here, it seems like he wants to complete some form of the trade rather than cutting his losses now and moving on. This may or may not have something to do with the fact that he's traded with this person multiple times in the past.

dmbforever, rmpic82 and pwdbyhops like this.
  9. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,380) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

I'll defer to @dmbforever on this, but at this point I think the best course of action is to close this thread. Hopefully everything will go as planned and you'll get your replacement bottles. If at some point you start having doubts about your trading partner's intentions, and feel like he's blowing you off, you can contact a moderator and we should be able to reopen this thread with an updated post.

Hopefully this won't be necessary, but at that point it would be my recommendation that we post the members name and start requesting a BT type of explanation from him.

To answer a previous question posed in this thread, the primary purpose of these BT threads is to make sure the victim is made whole and ultimately receives his beer. A concurrent, equally important purpose is to make others aware of what took place and thereby (hopefully) protect the BA trading community.

In this particular case, assuming you receive your replacement bottles and are satisfied with what you received from your trading partner, then I think both purposes will have been achieved. At that point you can leave whatever feedback you feel is appropriate.

#9 John_M, Sep 10, 2019 at 11:58 PM
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2019 at 5:53 PM
    FBarber and dmbforever like this.
  10. dmbforever

dmbforever Crusader (766) May 8, 2013 Wisconsin
    Moderator Society Trader

I agree with @John_M and his post above, which was well thought out. Just so everyone is aware, I am in the conversation between the two traders, so I can monitor moving forward. I am also in a side conversation with the OP. We are going to shut this down and can re-open if need be.

Cheers
    Dave

FBarber and John_M like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.