Potential Bad Trader: @dabrees

Discussion in 'Bad Traders' started by Slack, Apr 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,091) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

This guy has got to go. Two bad trader threads, 100% feedback, he is making a mockery of feedback system and an insult to the 99% of traders with well earned 100% feedback.

2. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,721) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Slack, can you clarify when he cancelled the trade request?

3. 4truth

4truth Aspirant (242) Jan 30, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I honestly can't believe he wasn't insta-banned once @Slack received his box. Get rid of this stain, he represents the opposite of everything I thought this site was supposed to be about.

4. Slack

Slack Champion (875) Feb 14, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

I don't have a specific date but I do recall noticing the trade request red icon disappeared in January. Similar to my other trades, I believed this trade to be accepted and did not confirm acceptance.

Unsure of the feasibility but a notification that the trade was cancelled could be helpful.

5. FBarber

Society Trader

So after you had already shipped out ...

Hey, @dmbforever or @John_M is there anyway to tell if the pending trade request was just automatically purged since there had elapsed such a long time from when it was sent or if @dabrees cancelled it (as a potential way to avoid bad feedback)?

ktr5010 and Victory_Sabre1973 like this.
  6. KingforaDay

KingforaDay Defender (659) Aug 5, 2010 New Jersey
    Trader

Does it really matter at this point?

jrnyc and colby600 like this.
  7. FBarber

Society Trader

Yes, only insofar as if it was an automatic purging, then I would hold that specific aspect against him, if it was an intentional deletion, then I don't see how there can be any outcome other than the ban hammer.

8. colby600

colby600 Zealot (516) Mar 24, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

I believe we've seen enough. There's nothing he could say at this point to change my mind about a ban. He obviously doesn't give a shit about this community. Ban hammer for me.

9. sjguglielmo

sjguglielmo Initiate (58) Aug 26, 2009 Minnesota
    Trader

The consensus seems to be that this clown needs to have trading rights revoked at an absolute minimum, and more likely should be banned outright. @Todd can you give us an update on what's going to happen here?

10. Todd

Todd Founder (5,555) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew

We take action based on recommendations from the moderator team.

11. sjguglielmo

sjguglielmo Initiate (58) Aug 26, 2009 Minnesota
    Trader

Right, I wasn't trying to imply that you would somehow be bound to implement whatever the consensus was here. But because there is such clear consensus among the community about this user, one would hope that the moderators would also share this assessment. Is that not the case?

brutalfarce and jrnyc like this.
  12. Todd

I can't speak for @John_M, who's already commented in this thread.

13. jrnyc

Trader

Rightly or wrongly, let’s face the facts, this site has a well known reputation for banning people pretty capriciously. Yet someone who has exhibited such poor behavior on two different occasions still is not banned and worse yet the OP can’t even leave bad feedback.

@John_M does a great job moderating this forum, so this is not a jab at him.

Many people on this site participate on these bad trader threads to help the OP and help “police” the site so traders know there are consequences to bad behavior, the least any of the people who do this can expect is some cover from the site, if not, people are going to stop caring and wasting their time trying to help. Feedback system is worthless when a situation like this one continues to fester.

flat_lander, DanGeo, rozzom and 12 others like this.
  14. FBarber

Society Trader

The Mods have lives/responsibilities outside of BA. I'd reserve any judgment until @John_M or @dmbforever come back in here and post an update as to whats going on. If he's not banned at that point, then we riot :wink:

15. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,314) Oct 25, 2003 France
    Moderator Society Trader

Thanks. I haven't forgotten this thread, but have been exceptionally busy at work. My wife and I are going out of town this weekend, and as always, there's all kinds of lose ends at work that I'm trying to take care of.

I'm hoping to put together a recommendation for @Todd later today.

Junior, brutalfarce, Slack and 4 others like this.
  16. kort27

kort27 Initiate (181) Apr 23, 2009 Illinois
    Trader

Here are the possible recommendations:
    1. 4 out of 5 dentists recommend Trident
    2. Most engines today have recommended oil change intervals of 5,000 to 7,500 miles
    3. I recommend banning the bad trader

These are jokes, people, just jokes ... many apologies to the OP.

17. Realsambo

Realsambo Aspirant (274) Apr 15, 2016 Texas
    Society Trader

You forgot about having to wait 30 minutes after eating to get in the water. That one's important

flat_lander, 7irondave, jrnyc and 3 others like this.
  18. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Hi @Todd.

So before making any sort of recommendation, I went ahead and looked back at the first BT thread involving @dabrees back in 2/19, as well as all the posts in this thread. The circumstances surrounding that first thread weren't as egregious as what's transpired in this thread, but there are a number of similarities. The OP and the BT in that thread were both supposed to ship on the same day, but the BT never got around to it. Initially, he stayed in contact with the OP, first explaining that he just was too busy, and then later blaming his failure to ship on the weather (There were several days when he indicated he was going to ship, but never did. In each case, the OP was forced to approach the BT to find out what had happened, and why there was still a delay in shipping). After the BT thread was started (and he became aware of it), it appears the BT quickly obtained a shipping label and got his box into the mail (though not unlike the current BT thread, it looks like the BT first sent the OP a tracking number, and then put the box in the mail a few days later). A lot of the prior thread focused on what sort of feedback would be appropriate, in view of the problems with a lack of communication and failing to update his trading partner concerning the shipping delays. At least in that thread, the BT responded to the BT thread. He was at least somewhat contrite about his actions, and my impression was that the BT had likely learned his lesson, and wouldn't make some of the same mistakes in the future.

One thing else I noticed when going back and looking at the prior thread. During the course of the original BT post, the OP pointed out that there were 5 other outstanding trades the BT had with other members on BA (part of the reason the OP was so concerned). On 2/19/19, the BT made the following statement in regard to those still outstanding, open trades: "I've shipped all my open trades except one. @MattOC." Given the timeline provided by @Slack in his original post, it would appear that was not an accurate statement.

With respect to the current thread, as we now know, it appears @dabrees did not learn his lesson from the first BT thread. In my mind, his actions in the current BT scenario are much more egregious, given how long it took for him to finally ship his box, after the OP shipped his box in early January. In hindsight, it looks like a lot of the same problems in the first BT thread we're cropping up again during the same time period with @Slack. As before, the BT referenced problems with the weather; he was busy doing other things; a shoulder injury delayed him; and he had difficulty obtaining certain promised beers. Understandably I think, the OP became frustrated and on 4/4/19, he insisted that the BT ship by 4/15. That of course didn't happen. In fact, it wasn't until he sent the BT an email on 4/19 or 4/20 (and mentioned the current BT thread), that he finally got the BT's attention. As in the first BT episode, the OP received a copy of the tracking number from the BT, but by all accounts the BT didn't put the box in the mail till several days later (contrary to what I believe he told the OP).

@Todd. As you know, I'm always hesitant to recommend banning of a member, except in particularly egregious circumstances (like stealing beer or sending a trade partner on a dangerous wild goose chase). In @dabrees defense, in both instances he at least finally did make good on his promise to ship his box of beer to his trading partner. On the other hand, he's been less than forthcoming with his trading partners, he's repeatedly failed to communicate with his trading partners to let them know there was a delay in shipping his box, and at least in this BT thread, we still have received no explanation for why in the hell it took him 3 months to finally ship his promised beer to the OP (after the OP shipped his box back in January). Also, if you have a chance, take a look at the post on page 2 of this thread from @Peterock27.

Anyway, I've probably missed a few things, but that's the reader's digest version in a nutshell. I don't know if it's possible to do this, but it would be my recommendation that we permanently suspend @dabrees's trading privileges. I don't know exactly what his problem is, but I don't consider him an honest or reliable trader, and I think continuing to allow him to arrange trades on BA will only continue to harm other members. If that can't be done, then for the good of the rest of the community, it would be my recommendation that his membership on BA be permanently suspended.

Thanks.

#98 John_M, May 2, 2019
    Last edited: May 2, 2019
  19. 7irondave

7irondave Devotee (440) Jun 22, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

We all have jobs and life goes on outside BA so time is precious. You have obviously spent a lot of time coming to this recommendation and I'm sure I am not alone in saying that I am thankful for the thoughtful response.

My fear is that he can continue to browse the trade forums and skirt the system. I truly do appreciate your thoughtful answer, but let him pull this shit on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook. Not here

20. jrnyc

Trader

Thanks for this thoughtful reply. This is far more due process that he deserves and most would get. End result is he needs to be sent packing.

4truth, brutalfarce, Slack and 11 others like this.
  21. Todd

Thanks everyone. Thanks @John_M. After reviewing I've decided to apply a ban.

22. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I assume at this point we're all done here (thanks to everyone for their suggestions and input).

Closing this down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.