Prairie ales prices in Texas

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by dumptruck81, Mar 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2011 Texas

Sorry if this has been covered already but I don't get it. Why do we pay so much more for prairie beers in Texas? We're paying anywhere from $12-14 per bottle for ab noir when other states are selling it as low $8.50-10.

Does anyone have any feedback on why there's such a variance in pricing?

nsheehan likes this.
  2. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2010 Texas

Everything is bigger in Texas...even price tags? Maybe it depends on where you buy it. I can buy a bottle from Spec's for $2-$3 more than other places. Or our distributors want a bigger cut.

3. Techichi

Techichi Zealot (507) Sep 25, 2012 Texas

Probably because it's so expensive to distribute here.

4. mph005

mph005 Initiate (170) Nov 25, 2013 Texas
    Trader

Google "Supply and Demand", there's a nice wikipedia article on it.

nathanmiller and Dogleg like this.
  5. unknownfy24

unknownfy24 Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2013 Texas

Why do we pay $16 for fruit sours from JK? Because it's good beer.

6. lilsquiggz

lilsquiggz Initiate (74) Feb 17, 2015 Texas

This is in no way comparable to paying $16 for a brewery only sour that is only $16 and always $16.

7. Chuk_Hell

Chuk_Hell Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2012 Texas

Because it's an "import".

8. dumptruck81

I'm actually serious in wondering why it costs so much more here.

Supply and demand is not the reason. Yeah sure some smaller stores in Texas take advantage of people by overcharging for limited release bottles but even our bigger retailers(heb, specs, whole foods, etc) are charging much more than other states.

Comparing to jester king sours doesn't really work either. Barrel aging takes up brewery space and there's much more risk of loss with sours. Also using that comparison your saying that we'd pay $24-28 for 24oz vs $16 for 25oz. Also need to include the fact that prices at jk include tax so a sour there is really more like $14.75.

@chaseabeer is it that the costs for license and label approval are much higher in Texas? I'm not trying to be an ass, just curious. We dig your beers and I'm sure we'll keep buying them.

#8 dumptruck81, Mar 7, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  9. Edw1nner

Edw1nner Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2013 Texas

That would be my guess as well. Cost is the primary reason we miss out on so many breweries at beer festivals across the state.

starkmarvelo likes this.
  10. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Disciple (306) Dec 24, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

Well it seems like people are willing to pay the prices so my guess is it's expensive because still buy it?

For all those people complaining about the price, just do what I did, stop buying it. It's really not that hard, there's amazing beer out there that's always available at a cheap price too.

11. Phoenix2443

Phoenix2443 Disciple (300) Jan 20, 2010 Texas
    Trader

Just nitpicking here but Apple brandy barrel aged would still be "barrel aged" obviously and provides the same possibility of loss via infection.

12. DeepBrew

DeepBrew Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2014 Texas

Anyone knows how they compare to OK prices?

13. Heretic42

Heretic42 Initiate (0) Aug 31, 2011 Texas

$3-4 more in TX than it is in OK for Bomb and variants, not sure about the standard beers.

14. frogfan

frogfan Aspirant (245) Sep 4, 2009 Texas
    Trader

I usually see their more limited stuff sell for roughly 30% more here in DFW than the cheapest stores in Tulsa - seen Bomb for $5.29, FGM for $6.99, etc...

Their normal stuff is only 10-15% more down here - standard, birra, ale, hop, etc.

Heretic42 likes this.
  15. Longhorn08

Longhorn08 Aspirant (254) Feb 4, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Lucky for me I only like their stuff and don't love it. Also here in SA when a shipment of Bomb comes in it sits for quite a few weeks before its all gone, so if I've met my quota for the week I can pass. The variants tend to go FAST, but not Bomb!.

16. Jovial_Libations

Jovial_Libations Initiate (194) Jan 30, 2015 Texas

Because people are silly enough to pay those exorbitant prices. Stores managers and beer distributors know this too and are in the business of making money..so they jack up the prices. Prairie are the other hand intentionally limits supply and voila..high prices.

Monkeypuker likes this.
  17. Grayson14

Grayson14 Initiate (72) Aug 20, 2014 Oklahoma

Everyone always wants to act like it's Prairie's fault, but they don't set pricing. Stores do. Talk to your local liquor store owner about why they're ripping you off.

18. sethsticles

sethsticles Disciple (342) May 6, 2014 California

Mods - might as well make this a sticky as it seems to come up in every thread..

Dogleg likes this.
  19. TxUltraRunner

TxUltraRunner Aspirant (277) Aug 16, 2012 Texas
    Trader

Dont like the prices, don't buy it. Plane and simple. That's the best way to protest.

20. starkmarvelo

Whaa? I think Prairie has done a pretty stellar job of saturating Texas with limited releases. Maybe it doesn't sit around in Austin or Houston.

Dogleg likes this.
  21. saint0r

saint0r Initiate (0) Aug 8, 2013 Texas

Shops do a good job of gouging knowing people will buy it anyway also.

22. Techichi

Techichi Zealot (507) Sep 25, 2012 Texas

Agreed. Considering how fast these guys went from local legend to national hero...I think they supply TX adequately. I am of the opinion that their beers are worth a little less than they charge...I am obviously in the minority. I can live with that.

If you see a store gouging their customers...don't shop there! Go somewhere else.

#22 Techichi, Mar 8, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  23. Longhorn08

Trader

Like their beers or not, everyone has to agree with this statement.

starkmarvelo likes this.
  24. Cowboys9

Cowboys9 Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2009 Texas

Actually, tell Chase. Chase will personally ask the store to stop gouging or, I suspect, he may pull Prairie from their shelves. I've seen him call out a few places in OK before for charging too much for Bomb.

DeepBrew likes this.
  25. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Disciple (306) Dec 24, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

Maybe it's not the stores selling Bomb for too much, maybe it's Chase.

How many other non-BA stouts are sold at Bomb's price point?

dumptruck81 and Monkeypuker like this.
  26. boogercrack

boogercrack Initiate (175) May 24, 2012 Texas

if it's too expensive for you, don't buy it.

simple.

greenspointexas and mgr78704 like this.
  27. Monkeypuker

Monkeypuker Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2013 Texas

That's not the point of the OP's question. He's asking why the variance in price for only prairie stuff in TX. Can anyone list any other distributed US beer that is priced differently based on which state it ends up in? Obviously excluding Alaska.

28. dumptruck81

On Friday I grabbed a 6pk of ab noir along with Sucaba, brazzle, ol oi, repose, and a few others. I'm not rich but buying a couple ab noir is certainly not out of my budget. One of the things that gets me thinking is that I can buy a larger format bottle of something like Sucaba for almost the same price as ab noir. It's kind of like Deschutes pricing increase this year. Abyss is $17 being only partially barrel aged versus Sucaba being $16. Deschutes is one of the breweries that helped get me into craft so I'll always buy a little for nostalgia, and maybe the occasional hoppy pale/ipa, but otherwise I'm about done with Deschutes.

Again I'm curious why we have much higher pricing for prairie vs other states. Also, I'm a fan of prairie and I'm excited that they're supposedly working on adding lacto in the future, so I'm really not trying to be a dick. I can see it being cheaper in Oklahoma than it is in Texas but I don't get why it would be cheaper in the northeast.

If you don't agree with me asking the question the best thing to do would be not posting a response that bumps the thread to the top of the page.

#28 dumptruck81, Mar 8, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
    nsheehan likes this.
  29. Wallham

Wallham Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2014 Texas

What states are you seeing it for 8.50-10$? I've seen multiple people saying in CA they're paying 12-14 as well? Also know of a store from CA that's selling for 15$ along with reg bomb being that price.

30. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Initiate (187) Jan 22, 2013 Texas
    Trader

3 tier's, everyone's gotta get paid?

army01 and Chuk_Hell like this.
  31. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Initiate (187) Jan 22, 2013 Texas
    Trader

I don't mind some stores overpricing. They sit so I'll always know I can find bomb, noir or a variant way after release. Even if I have to pay $3 extra

starkmarvelo likes this.
  32. dumptruck81

Having a hard time locating the page I saw in ISO:FT but here's a page with guys from Ohio and missouri paying $10 for ab noir.

33. Wallham

Wallham Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2014 Texas

I gotcha. Well sad part of it is man people are gonna pay for beer they want. I had no problem buying a case of ab noir at 13 a bottle. A bar in houston had pirate bombs for 27$ When they had a prairie takeover, and sold everyone of their bottles. Can set the price where you please when people will still buy

34. chaseabeer

chaseabeer Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2009 Oklahoma

it sucks to see the markups I'm seeing. I tend to sell out of state for less than I do in the OK market. I'll look into it. It seems common for most markets to charge whatever they want vs what's fair.

35. starkmarvelo

In case no one else says it. Thank you for taking care of us Texans. There is always plenty of Prairie that gets sent and it's nice to get Texas only beers from an out of state brewery.

36. dumptruck81

Thanks! Also want to say again that I dig your beers and look forward to what you've got in the works.

37. Longhorn08

Trader

I used to be a lot more active on this site. And then I realzed that ppl on both sides of the isle bitch and moan about the same things overe and over every day. Pretty sure this exact conversation has been had like 1000 times.

And so it's clear I had an old account that got deleted back when ppl, including myself, were criticizing the mods, so I'm no noob to BA, despite what my profile says.

tx_beer_man likes this.
  38. thebigyellowjoint

thebigyellowjoint Initiate (36) Nov 5, 2012 Texas

While this thread is similar to the usual 'why is this so expensive?!' conversation that has popped up several times in the past, I think it's worth noting that this one specifically asks why Prairie Ales have such a high markup specifically in Texas, which I think is a fair question that was posed in a respectful manner.

nsheehan, tx_beer_man and dumptruck81 like this.
  39. army01

army01 Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2011 Texas

I had a hard time locating a store that received more than a case....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.