Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Release Prairie Bourbon Paradise

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by DISKORD, Oct 19, 2017.

1. DISKORD

DISKORD Initiate (52) Feb 28, 2017 South Carolina

Bourbon Paradise, a 13% ABV imperial stout aged in bourbon barrels that previously held Heaven Hill bourbon for between six and eight months and conditioned on both coconut and vanilla.

It will be packaged in 12-ounce bottles that are scheduled to ship to “most our wholesale markets” at the end of November.

http://tenemu.com/news/prairie-working-bourbon-paradise-imperial-stout/10/2017

Really looking forward to it!

2. raynmoon

raynmoon Crusader (724) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Add it to the pile.

3. juliolugo

juliolugo Initiate (33) Jun 22, 2015 Massachusetts

Ooh, more 12oz bottles for $13-14 a pop (at least around here). Can't wait...?

4. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Aspirant (225) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Based on past experience Prairie barrel aged beers are well worth that price. I will buy multiple bottles of this if I see it.

5. uncgoheels1

uncgoheels1 Initiate (127) Jul 16, 2016 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Yeah give me a case of this. Sounds amazing

BeerPugz and Mosesarea51 like this.
  6. Yellowlt4

Yellowlt4 Initiate (127) Sep 21, 2016 Texas

Paradise was a huge let down for me but I'll still give this a shot as Prarie BA stouts tend to be right up my alley.

croush likes this.
  7. bbtkd

bbtkd Meyvn (1,477) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Supporter Subscriber

Prairie stouts are hugely overpriced, even as good as they are. They're about the same price per ounce as an expensive bomber. They're shooting themselves in the foot - they could sell a ton more of them, and make more money, if they were priced around $5 or $6 ea. They don't always sell around here, often sitting for months until the store discounts them. I realize the store prices them, but they set the high price based on their cost, which is apparently high. I buy them, but shop the price, and don't get as many as I would if the price were reasonable.

8. Mosesarea51

Mosesarea51 Initiate (105) Oct 17, 2016 Texas
    Beer Trader

I think the main reason Prairie only does 12oz is because of OK state laws. I could be wrong, but.I think it has to do with the abv or something. OK is in the Bible Belt so that may have a little to do with the portions. That said I will gladly pay 12 for a BA Paradise as it is sexual pleasure in a bottle:slight_smile: the less people buy it the more that’s left for me!!

Scarysun, bbtkd and DISKORD like this.
  9. Jlabs

Jlabs Crusader (700) Nov 11, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

yes please!!

10. juliolugo

I think the gripe (at least mine) is less about format and more about price per oz relative to other barrel-aged imperial stouts, especially with BCBS season coming up. BCBS will be about $0.53 per oz, where as I'm guessing Bourbon Paradise will come in at closer to $1.17 per oz.

Ponzu4u, meanmutt, Mongrel and 3 others like this.
  11. Squire123

Squire123 Poo-Bah (1,543) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

I share that sentiment because the bottle is just a container I will toss.

meanmutt, BeerPugz and loganburgh like this.
  12. Mosesarea51

Beer Trader

IMO Prairie is above Goose Island and most other breweries when it comes to stouts. I mean BCBS hasn’t been that impressive for a while:stuck_out_tongue: not to mention that $70 per 12oz throwback they released recently.

DISKORD likes this.
  13. Mosesarea51

Beer Trader

And the tainted Stouts.

DISKORD likes this.
  14. juliolugo

Those were certainly no good. However, 2016 BCBS was fantastic and, at less than half the price per oz of Prairie barrel-aged stuff, I’d choose BCBS (or numerous other examples, BCBS was just one I thought most would be familiar with) over Prairie by a country mile except for the infrequent novelty purchase.

meanmutt and flaskman like this.
  15. Mosesarea51

Beer Trader

Hey If you like BCBS that’s fine:slight_smile: but I’m just saying the quality ain’t as good as before the buy out. I’ve had Pirate Paradise, that beer well deserved the hype, and I think the Bourbon Paradise will be likewise:slight_smile: The more that don’t by Bourbon Paradise the merrier for me!!! In fact just forget you heard of it, it’s a terrible beer

dabrees and DISKORD like this.
  16. croush

croush Zealot (565) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I really didn't care for regular Paradise, but have pretty much loved every Prairie BA beer I have had. Despite the bad price point, I would pick up a bottle of this if I run into it, but don't think I'll hunt it down.

I don't think I'd say they are as good as BCBS, but they are damn fine BA beers and put them as some of the better ones I've had.

17. BeanBump

BeanBump Aspirant (233) Dec 14, 2016 California

When a BA comes in a 12oz bottle it just helps me justify not sharing it with anyone.

18. DrumKid003

DrumKid003 Initiate (190) Aug 10, 2013 Oklahoma

I'm going to have to stop you on the only 12oz. due to ABV/state laws. Anthem has continued to produce a 17%ABV Wheatwine that is available in 22oz. bottles and on draft. I would think that Prairie is doing it to get more of it out to the masses, instead of cutting the supply almost in half by offering it in a larger format (i.e. a 22oz. bottle). A lot of the markets they sell into wouldn't even get some of the more limited beers if it was in a larger format.

Mosesarea51 likes this.
  19. Junior

Junior Disciple (302) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I have yet to find a beer with coconut that I've liked. I'm not going to test again at $12-$13 per bottle.

20. Mosesarea51

Beer Trader

As I said I could have been wrong:stuck_out_tongue:, but I heard a while back OK state limited anything above a certain ABV to brewery release only. Then that they changed the law so that breweries could send out craft beer to distributors above their states abv limit. Anyways, whatever the case, it'd be nice to see bombers of bomb! but Prairies only made 12oz so far don't know why? Maybe I message them to be find out for sure, but I'm just glad to get from them what I can get. Notice Firestone has taken the same 12oz route lately, so maybe there's a legit reason why? or maybe it's money? Either way Prairie has put out some damn fine beers.

21. Mosesarea51

Beer Trader

That's OK more for me:slight_smile: You'd be hard pressed to find a better stout with coconut.

22. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (1,574) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Prairie does use large format bottles, but rarely. You can see one in the background on their website. That beer is a table beer though, which would explain the formatting. Never the less, it does show Prairie has the resources to fill and distribute large format (aside from whatever OK's alcohol laws are).

Firestone switching to 12oz format is terrible. Folks rooted for it, but assumed it would mean they'd use a 4-pack format. Nope. Costly assumption. Personally, I'm still a bit grumpy. :astonished:

23. Mosesarea51

Beer Trader

No doubt I'm grumpy on that too what was Firestone thinking?, and yes Prairie does make larger bottles of stouts in limited numbers. So far though most of those are brewery only, like the Large BA Christmas Bomb! bottles last year:slight_smile:,

24. Mosesarea51

Beer Trader

Another thing I hadn't considered was the equipment/machinery involved as they are a small operation. I know they are still expanding so maybe that was part of the case? It's like a tradition for them to distribute 12oz though so I don't expect any change. I also prefer smaller bottles cause I only drink moderately as i am a fitness nut:stuck_out_tongue: I Have to make room for enjoyment too!!

25. bbtkd

Supporter Subscriber

The world needs fewer bombers, not more. Terrible format, particularly for high ABV beers. Unfortunately, some breweries seem to prefer them for limited releases. Cost per ounce is generally higher than 12oz or 16oz containers. Since Prairie 12oz is are $10 to $14, and since bombers usually cost more per ounce, I suppose a BOMB!er would be $35 or more.

I realize Prairie stouts are good enough that they's sell all they produce, even at jacked-up prices. But I have to believe they could ramp up production, drop the price, and make more money.

26. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Aspirant (225) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

They were thinking we can charge more per ounce and still sell every drop while allowing more people to get their hands on it at the same time. Makes perfect sense to me.

maximum12 likes this.
  27. Alex_Awesome_H

Alex_Awesome_H Initiate (136) Jan 2, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

If you feel $1 per ounce is too much, can always resell the damn thing. Never seen BA Prairie beers go for less than $20 2nd hand in Chicago.

cmukid87 likes this.
  28. croush

Beer Trader

So we're just supposed to buy beers to re-sell them now? :rolling_eyes:

29. Alex_Awesome_H

Alex_Awesome_H Initiate (136) Jan 2, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Point Im making is that if you buy these beers and want to earn your money back you can. Not like this is something that doesnt happen on a regular basis.

30. croush

Beer Trader

The point I think others are making here is that they would like to actually drink the beers, but the value isn't there compared to similar beers. Most people here want to drink the beers we're talking about, not speculate their secondary market value.

31. BeanBump

BeanBump Aspirant (233) Dec 14, 2016 California

I dont think I'd ever buy a 2nd hand beer. That is, one directly from someone other than a retailer.

32. Psilocybeer

Psilocybeer Initiate (160) Jul 11, 2017 California

I've never bought Prairie, due to price. I'd probably get Pirate Bomb if I ever saw it, but there are too many alternatives here for the stuff I see on shelves (and it seems to sit a while where I am).

VABA and waltari like this.
  33. Squire123

Squire123 Poo-Bah (1,543) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

Not legally you can and the penalties are stiff.

Jaycase likes this.
  34. Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas

Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas Disciple (314) Aug 24, 2015 Texas
    Beer Trader

Completely share you sentiment.

To me - Prairie has become a beer targeting newbies. Its expensive, has fancy-shiney labels, and is somewhat limited.

And - IMO - Prairie BOMB! is still the best representation of their stout line-up. Even better - the price for BOMB! has steadily declined in my market (currently $6.99/bottle).

meanmutt and keithmurray like this.
  35. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,090) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Beer Trader

One of the issues with PAA is in states where Shelton Brothers is involved with their distribution. There is a Shelton tariff in effect because if you compare PAA prices in Shelton areas vs non-Shelton areas you'll see a significant difference in pricing. I refuse to pay the additional tariff to Shelton so I skip all PAA here in IL.

36. bbtkd

Supporter Subscriber

I sure would like to get my hands on a case of Prairie Pirate Bomb or Pirate Noir. Heaven in a bottle when aged at least 6 months. Hope to see Pirate Noir hitting here in December again. I'd buy several cases at $6/bottle.

37. Eddiehop

Eddiehop Devotee (456) Jun 28, 2014 Texas
    Beer Trader

Sounds like you may get your wish in January. The Noirs (vanilla, coffee and regular) are hitting distro after thanksgiving and Pirate Bomb will be beginning of the year.

#37 Eddiehop, Oct 26, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    flat_lander, bbtkd, 7irondave and 2 others like this.
  38. DISKORD

DISKORD Initiate (52) Feb 28, 2017 South Carolina

So much bitching and whining! Don't like it, don't buy it, don't comment!!!

Lone_Freighter likes this.
  39. croush

Beer Trader

One could say the same "don't comment" about commenting on all the price discussion. :wink: It's a forum on the internet - people are going to voice their thoughts. Price (both good and bad value) comes up in just about every discussion about a particular beer.

40. bbtkd

Supporter Subscriber

Please, let's keep this between us :wink:

Alex_Awesome_H and Eddiehop like this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.