Prairie Funky Gold Mosaic

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by PatrickInAustinTx, Jul 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boogercrack

boogercrack Initiate (0) May 24, 2012 Texas

it's supposed to be hop forward.

drink a gold if you want it without the dry hopping addition. aging the hops would alter this beer to be entirely different than what is intended.

right?

i swear to god the fascination with aging beers to no longer taste like what they're supposed to, with beers that aren't meant to be aged is bizarre to me. very, very, very, very few beers get better with age. golden awa's or saisons or whatever are usually not one of them. especially extremely dry hopped ones. "it needs time" or "it will age gracefully" is essentially a fucking meme by now. it does not work with every beer, but yet, you see it in every single thread. whatever.

this really isn't a direct shot at the post above mine. perhaps a few months will do it well. i don't know. no one does. saying any beer will age well, outside of a well refined lambic/stout with a great heritage behind it is a guess.

Texasfan549, champ103, air and 5 others like this.
  2. HookemHops13

HookemHops13 Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2013 Texas

Ya but the Fun series ages wonderfully!!!!

:rolling_eyes::wink:

3. wtkphoto

wtkphoto Savant (1,023) Apr 3, 2009 Michigan

It seems there is a handful of people out there that with every beer they buy their first thought is not when can I drink this but how long should i age it, including IPAs.

4. elbrooksie

elbrooksie Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2013 Texas

Meh, did not like it as much as I hoped I would...don't get me wrong, it is not a bad beer by any means, but it seems to me to be trying to do too much as a blend, and therefore ends up being a little unfocused...would rather drink Somewhere all day long... **shrug**

5. JDV

JDV Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2007 Texas

Is this like a dry hopped Prairie Somewhere or is the base beer different? I didn't really care for Somewhere, as it was a bit funky and mine was way overcarbonated... Is it still available or did it fly off the shelves in 4 seconds?

6. wtkphoto

The base beer is Gold http://prairieales.com/beer/prairie-gold/

JDV likes this.
  7. JDV

JDV Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2007 Texas

8. jamescain

jamescain Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2009 Texas

I completely agree with you that aging a beer is completely overrated (I'm saying this with too many beers in my "cellar" by the way). I now pretty only drink beers fresh, or if I'm going to hold on to them, it will be something with Brett in it. I've been lucky to have a lot of very old beers that were kept at cellar temperature over the last few months and I can definitely say that maybe 95-98% of them did not benefit from storage. Every now and then you get one that does and its a beautiful thing, but for the most part they do not work out and just oxidize.

9. gfg0020

gfg0020 Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2014 Texas

I'm going to have to agree with @GwWhite that I think I'll like this beer more in a month or two. The funk for me was almost completely lost in the massive dose of mosaic hops. Maybe after some time it will be more balanced to my palate.

10. TTUJohn

TTUJohn Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2012 Texas

I don't understand getting a dry hopped beer and then aging it for the exact purpose of letting the hops drop out in hopes of it tasting better.

Personally I really like all of the dry-hopped sour or brett beers I've had, and really enjoy this one. Good work, Prairie

champ103 likes this.
  11. Ford

Ford Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2012 Texas

This one wasn't worth the price in my opinion.... just not for me.

StArnoldFan and starkmarvelo like this.
  12. Indytruks138

Indytruks138 Initiate (0) Jun 28, 2013 Texas

Well I'm opening a bottle tonight to try it out, so you can all just wait for my update and then form your opinion based on mine, because, you know, I'm going to be right.

thewrongtone likes this.
  13. jacobbocce72

jacobbocce72 Initiate (0) Dec 18, 2011 Texas

Had a bottle last night and enjoyed it quite a bit. The proper glassware probably made it taste a little better as well...

[​IMG]

iceicebaby and Indytruks138 like this.
  14. Daemose

Daemose Maven (1,407) Oct 3, 2011 Texas

Dropped one on the ground leaving DQ, drank it hot. Delicious.

15. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2010 Texas

Noble King is better now than it was fresh. Just sayin'.

thewrongtone likes this.
  16. thewrongtone

thewrongtone Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2006 Arkansas

I think I'll have mine tonight as well. I haven't had the new Noble King, so I'm going in blind.

starkmarvelo likes this.
  17. wtkphoto

Had one of the new batch again a few days ago, geez it was fantastic. Most drinkable JK IMO. Went to the store the next day and bought some more.

thewrongtone likes this.
  18. thewrongtone

And then you drove to Laredo to drop some off?

Jeez, rub it in, Mr. I Live in Civilization.

wtkphoto likes this.
  19. wtkphoto

Ha! If it makes you feel better it was one of the last bottles of JK left in Waco. Don't think there has been a Flood delivery in a while.

20. thewrongtone

It doesn't. The last JK delivery we got was about 16 months ago. Ironically, Flood doesn't come this close to the Rio.

At least I get my 4 Squared all year now. That's good news!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.