Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Pre-Brewvival Tasting

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by brianzehner, Feb 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brianzehner

brianzehner May 26, 2005 South Carolina

Only 12 more days until Brewvival, so I guess it's time to get the official word out for this years pre-Brewvival tasting. Got a feeling that we are going to have a good sized crowd this year which will be great! The tasting is open to anyone interested in coming over to share some tasty beer. Just let me know that you are planning to come. We'll get things started at 7pm. I'll have food and snacks but you're welcome to bring over whatever you like. The address is:

4626 Ashley View Lane, Charleston, SC 29405

Once again, we'll try to do our best to keep it under control so as not to spoil the next day. Thankfully we have succeeded the first three years. Looking forward to seeing lots a familiar faces and meeting lots of new people.

Just a few important notes:
    • Be wary of strange colored ice cubes.
    • Jim hates the lack of Sweetwater IPA in 'bama so make sure to offer him some.
    • It's best to let a sleeping Dan lie.
    • Ask Ryan about his shirt.

2. agirlandherpen

agirlandherpen May 26, 2011 South Carolina

My question is...which Dan? :D

3. brianzehner

Rosen. He's like an attack dog.

ATLbeerDog likes this.
  4. RedneckBeerz

RedneckBeerz Sep 17, 2011 Massachusetts

Brian,
    Thanks for the open invite. I plan on being there. Tentative plans are to arrive mid afternoon with a stop @ Westbrook, the Holy City for the pre Brewvival Fish fry and then to your place. Google map shows your place (4626 Ashley View Lane, Charleston, SC 29405) west of N. Charleston off of Hoibird Dr.?
    I'll be the idiot wearing the Bonnie Blue flag/cape (my icon).
    Thanks again for the invite. Best Wishes, Gary

flipdog0 likes this.
  5. winbassett

winbassett Sep 10, 2010 North Carolina

2 Brewvival tickets for face value. Hit me up!

6. brianzehner

Yep. Just off Holbird Street. Also just a few minutes from Holy City.

7. chefkevlar

chefkevlar Apr 17, 2010 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Depending on what our group wants to do I may stop by and meet some of you. I'll be sure to throw some goodies in my cooler before I leave just in case.

8. nickmcc

nickmcc Dec 12, 2010 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

I thought you meant Adams, because ... oh, you know.

Can't wait for this! Looking forward to seeing you again, Brian, and plenty of other folks. I'll be coming with my wife and about 3-4 other guys, and beer to share.

9. kkipple

kkipple Jul 30, 2005 South Carolina

Of course, I'll be there with Cal n David in tow. Rosen too, most likely. He's in England at the moment.

10. jyounger30

jyounger30 Oct 25, 2008 Georgia

Thanks Brian! Carny and I will be coming by. I'll definitely have some SWIPA to highlight Jedi's evening.

kkipple likes this.
  11. BeerZack

BeerZack Jun 23, 2004 North Carolina

Hi guys, I plan on stopping by for a bit. I will be bringing some Texas beers (mostly FreeTail and Hops & Grain). [Can't figure out how to post a pic...] My gf will be glad to have them out of the fridge!

12. unclejedi

unclejedi Mar 9, 2006 Alabama

we actually get SWIPA in Alabama, and I've become good friends with Curtis, the SW rep for our area... he even took me to the airport for my annual Portland trip in the 420-mobile a little over a year ago... but I'll only drink it if it is barrel or moonshine jug aged SWIPA...

I was at Perennial on a Thursday a few weeks ago... I've got a bourbon barrel Abraxas, it would be really good if some one could bring along a bourbon barrel Hunahpu for comparison sake

flipdog0 likes this.
  13. rbradley

rbradley May 11, 2011 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Well, if you've got that one covered, I'll substitute in something else. Though, I don't have a BA Huna available...

14. unclejedi

unclejedi Mar 9, 2006 Alabama

always amazes me that someone else seems to usually be able to match what I think is my biggest, most recently acquired whale... happy to defer to your bottle if you want to bring it, but I'm just as interested in seeing what else you might come up with... and truth be told, as big as this thing might become, it might be a good idea to have 2 bottles available so we all get a good pour.

15. rbradley

rbradley May 11, 2011 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

We'll definitely figured it out and coordinate through Brian. For right now...I've replace it with a Black Note...but you might be right and end up needing a couple of bottles if we're the only ones that have it. I've already got quite a bit planned out and might even have some other really cool stuff arrive right before...just trying to get confirmation.

16. brianzehner

It is looking like it might be a lot of people so if we have a two of some things that probably would be just fine. Hopefully people will realize that lots of people means smaller pours or that you just miss out on some things. It also means we'll get to see tons of great stuff! The usual recommendation is to bring plenty of stuff and open what you feel like. Whatever you don't open, just take back home. Since there may be several new faces, the format of the tasting is that there really is no format. People just open something they want to share and pass it around. Of course when I say that I mean they only open what they brought. Only 10 more days to go!

17. flipdog0

flipdog0 Feb 11, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Excited to meet all the BA's in and around Charleston. Thanks for hosting this! Myself and a Buddy of my plan on attending. Not sure what all we are gonna bring yet but I will update you as it gets closer! 3 Cheers for beer!

18. kkipple

It's gonna be wilde, yo. I have a big growler of Olde Mecklenburg's Rauchbier for the tickers, and some space oddities for the table.

Do we have food plans beforehand? Do we want to try?

nickmcc likes this.
  19. JulianB

JulianB Feb 1, 2012 South Carolina

Thanks to Brian for the gracious invite to all, including myself and a few of my friends here in Florence! Planning to bring Kern River Citra and Just Outstanding, Troegs Nugget Nectar, Ithaca Flower Power, Bruery White Chocolate, and maybe some others.

nickmcc likes this.
  20. nickmcc

Beer Trader

I think I'll contribute an Olde Hickory Lindley Park, Green Man's newest Berliner Weisse and the 2010 De Dolle Stille Nacht. Unless someone else was planning to bring any of those, in which case I don't want to double-up. I'll see what else I've got in my stash.

JulianB likes this.
  21. RobLewis

RobLewis Feb 13, 2013

I am looking for two tickets. Still available?

22. Gyle41386

Gyle41386 Dec 14, 2008 South Carolina

Oh man, I had forgotten about that! Definitely best to let the man snooze, haha

23. winbassett

winbassett Sep 10, 2010 North Carolina

Tickets gone!

24. Carny77

Carny77 Jul 20, 2005 Georgia

Thanks for the invite Brian! Looking forward to the weekend, see you guys in a week...

25. rnorgart

rnorgart Nov 16, 2005 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Wow Brian, I knew your Pre Brewvival tastings were getting big, but I didn't know you needed tickets now.

Put me on the list at the door with a plus one.

Ryan

26. brianzehner

Adams will be manning the velvet rope. Rosen is the bouncer.

agirlandherpen likes this.
  27. JulianB

Excellent, I should be able to sneak onto the VIP list then.

28. JulianB

Have a friend looking for one Brewvival ticket, let me know if anyone is selling.

29. RedneckBeerz

T-5 Days and counting until the Cookie Monster's Bad Azz Pre-Brewvival bottle share !!!
    Finally decided what I'm bringing, I'm sure it's not as heavy as what alot of locals will have, but it is what it is.
    First and foremost, I'd like to pick up a couple of bottles of Westbrook's Mexican Cake for a birthday bash/bottle share next month. These are the brews that I am bringing that I'd be willing to trade (since I've had them before).
    2013 Foothill's Sexual Chocolate X 2, Hardywood's Gingerbread Stout, Alesmith's Speedway Stout, and Goose Island's BCBCS. Brews that I'm bringing that I won't trade is FiftyFifty's Imperial Eclipse Stout Heaven Hill Rittenhouse Rye, Freetail's La Muerta, Saint Arnold's Pumpkinator, Bourbon Barrel Aged Hellfighter, Pipework's Abduction Coffee Break, and for the end of the night for you spysee beer lovers Sequoia's Wanted: Joaquin Murrieta Chile Pepper Beer. Would hate to blow anyone's taste buds away to early (including mine). Cheers My New Friends !!!

30. kkipple

Sounds great! That reminds me, I have a Freetail "2" that I'll bring for the tasting. I'd be happy to trade you for one of those 2013 SexChocs since I missed the release this year!

BTW, Mexican Cake isn't out now, but will be re-released in May.

31. nickmcc

Beer Trader

I've got a growler of Mexican Cake I picked up a few weeks back that I'll be bringing. Mexi Cake for all!

32. JulianB

RedneckBeerz I've been wanting to try Pumpkinator for a while so I'm pumped you're bringing that. I'll be happy to give you some pours from anything I've got with me.

33. RedneckBeerz

Hey, I'm hooked up on the pair Mexican Cakes and the Hardywood GBS is no longer available for the bottle share.

. Cool, perhaps I'll get a taste (The pair I am picking up is for Birthday gifts).

I'm sure we can work out something on the Sexual Chocolate.

Same with me, I bring em to share em.

34. JulianB

Brian, should guests bring their own tasting glasses?

35. flipdog0

flipdog0 Feb 11, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

My buddy and I are coming I know he is bringing the OHB:Apple brandy saison, and maybe the mother earth fig and raisin. I will be bringing a 2008 Lost Sailor Stout from shoreline brewing and potentially a 50/50 Eclipse EC12 2012, probably some others.

kkipple likes this.
  36. brianzehner

Although i have lots of extra glasses, it never hurts to bring your own.

37. JulianB

38. MarkSCCOT

MarkSCCOT Jan 24, 2007 South Carolina

I did the same thing last year. It was derailed since most of the beers I wanted to try were absolute surprises and weren't announced until the day of the Festival. Still extremely useful though! Thanks!

JulianB likes this.
  39. Gyle41386

Gyle41386 Dec 14, 2008 South Carolina

Can't wait. Gotta decide what I'm bringing with me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe