Pretty Things Jack D'Or

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by astroevan, Jul 29, 2018.

1. astroevan

astroevan Initiate (84) Apr 9, 2008 South Carolina

Found a bottle shop in NC on a road trip today and bought a bottle of Jack D'Or by Pretty Things Beer and Ale Project. I was a big fan of Pretty Things before I left RI in 2013 - the Once Upon A Time series was phenomenal - and heard that they had shut their doors in 2015. I'm pretty sure that I just bought a 3-year old saison for nostalgia's sake, but I wanted to check to see if anyone else has seen any bottles lately... or if they've all been hiding out in NC.

Hiwattowner likes this.
  2. bleakies

bleakies Disciple (339) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

I'm sure there are some odd bottles stuck away in odd shops but I haven't seen one for a couple of years now. I still have a few bottles of their big stouts (Barbapapa and Fumapapa) in the fridge as well as a last bottle of their barleywine. I wouldn't have the highest hopes for a three-year-old Jack D'Or but I'd like to hear how it's held up, or hasn't. For science.

They were absolutely my favorite brewery and I miss them.

3. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Disciple (311) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Trader

Please report back. I'm curious.

I still have half a case of OFR. Had one a few weeks ago and it is still amazing Really leaning intointo tobacco notes I age barleywines for.

4. TheMattJones88

TheMattJones88 Initiate (120) Sep 12, 2009 Massachusetts

I know of a place with a few rogue Jack D'Or bottles, please report back, I'd love to have to go buy them if they're good.

5. rdecker679

rdecker679 Initiate (34) Oct 8, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

I had my final bottle last weekend, coincidentally. I was holding onto it for nostalgia's sake, but figured that had gone on long enough. It's been in the back of a fridge since early 2015, and surprisingly wasn't half bad. It was lacking any real punch of flavor, pretty mellow across the board, but figuring it would be nothing after so long, I was happy with what was left.

I would like to know what one of similar age is like if it wasn't stored in a fridge that whole time.

7irondave and Sweatshirt like this.
  6. TheMattJones88

TheMattJones88 Initiate (120) Sep 12, 2009 Massachusetts

The place I know that has it has two bottles that have been on warm shelves, still charging $8 a pop for them too.

7. Sweatshirt

Trader

As a measure of how good or not good it was.. Would you buy one, full price, if you saw it in the wild?

8. rdecker679

Trader

If current full price is $8? Yeah, for sure. Part of that is again, the nostalgia.
    Take that away, and I'd still pay maybe $6 for it.

Sweatshirt and 7irondave like this.
  9. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Zealot (598) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

In retrospect PT got out right before the death of the bomber. Good for them - tho I’m sure they could see the writing on the wall.

That said I’d usually splurge for a PT Jack D’or once a month or so. Good beer.

10. Sweatshirt

Trader

Brewing where they were I don't feel like PT cans or bottled four packs weren't an option. They had made a decision based on...something.

11. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Crusader (759) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Trader

Tangentially related, but does anyone know what's going on with Pretty Things's former owners/creators and the project they were supposed to be doing in England? I could only find this article as the most recent.

12. Aaron58

Aaron58 Initiate (163) Dec 16, 2007 Massachusetts

Just imagine how well PT Jack/meadowlark/magnifico 4pk 16oz cans would be doing right now? or a PT tap room?!?

13. Lupin

Lupin Aspirant (274) Jun 4, 2006 Connecticut
    Trader

Their new brewery in Sheffield, England was incorporated last year but is not yet brewing.

14. huuvola

huuvola Initiate (131) Oct 29, 2005 Massachusetts

15. astroevan

astroevan Initiate (84) Apr 9, 2008 South Carolina

Well, the wife and I drank the Jack D’Or and the nostalgia was the best part. The beer wasn’t bad, but it certainly wasn’t the top quality saison that it once was. The peppery esters typical of a saison were reduced to essence and the flavor was overly sweet. I’m glad we got it, but would have to pass if I see it again.

16. rdecker679

Trader

Can someone with more experience than me confirm if the possible heat + time this bottle may have endured would allow more sugars to develop vs mine kept in a fridge? Because I wouldn't have said mine was that much sweeter than it typically was, just everything was a little muted.

17. Stormfield

Stormfield Initiate (112) Feb 21, 2011 Massachusetts

I remember Jason Alstrom posting that he liked Jack D’or very much, but that the beer didn’t shelf for very long, so I’m not surprised that it wasn’t great.

18. LeRose

LeRose Meyvn (1,289) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Premium

I have a bottle or Jack D'Or as well as several of their big stouts, so this has been a good read. I have no idea how long I've had the bottle of Jack...maybe I should get to it one of these days.

19. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Champion (815) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

I honestly have no idea how they'd do. I could maybe see Jack doing well being a saison, and those seem to do ok in the market. And the tap room could definitely be successful, depending on set-up, location...etc.

But I could easily see Meadowlark just getting lost in the sea of IPAs, especially considering it wasn't a New England IPA.

Stormfield likes this.
  20. Stormfield

Stormfield Initiate (112) Feb 21, 2011 Massachusetts

The stouts and barley wine should be fine though. Last winter, I opened a bottle of ‘Our Finest Regards’ from 2011, batch #1 I think, and it was phenomenal. I never had an old Jack D, so I can’t offer an opinion on that one.

Instead of Jack in the last couple of years, I’ve enjoyed Mystic saisons a great deal. They are pretty special IMHO.

AlcahueteJ and LeRose like this.
  21. LeRose

LeRose Meyvn (1,289) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Premium

Agree - Mystic is a favorite in our house and has been for quite a while. One of my rare case purchases was Day of Doom, obviously not a saison but a nice beer to have for the winter months. Trying to think what I have from PT - definitely have Our Finest Regards, Babayaga, Baby Tree, Barbapapa, and I think Fluffy White Rabbits. Loved Grampus (although reviews say it wasn't everybody's cup o' tea) and wish we'd bought more of it when we had the chance. Field Mouse's Farewell was a nice beer as well. We went to a tasting, then did the spree thing...sometimes doesn't work out so well!

Stormfield likes this.
  22. Justin42

Justin42 Aspirant (225) Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts

I think many—not all, but many—of us would buy a four pack of Meadowlark for ~$15 the moment we saw it, and then maybe buy it again once or twice per year. There are just too many great local and not so local options these days. A taproom would be awesome though.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  23. AlcahueteJ

Oh for sure, I'd probably grab a single or two of everything they had if it was in cans. I grabbed the bombers, so why not?

But beyond that, personally it would depend on what they canned. One of their English milds, definitely, because you just don't see that anywhere in cans.

I don't think people would have repeat purchases though, but the tap room would be interesting.

24. emannths

emannths Aspirant (223) Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

Just a daydream...

[​IMG]

25. AlcahueteJ

I like how your day dream is in 12 oz. and not 16.

Fucking 16 oz. cans.

26. cmoney13

cmoney13 Initiate (80) Sep 9, 2017 Massachusetts

not really sure how well Buzzards Bay was/is setup for bottling 12oz bottles, considering everything Buzzards packaged was also in bombers up until very recently (and the vast majority of their stuff still is in bombers).

27. emannths

emannths Aspirant (223) Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

Well, not pictured is the 15pk of those 12oz-ers...

28. Hiwattowner

Hiwattowner Disciple (353) Feb 23, 2008 Massachusetts

One thing was for certain, Dan was/is a hell of a brewer.

The one off DIPAs were nearly always great:

[​IMG]

Can’t remember if this old photo was draft Meadowlark or Jack D’or. Either way, it still looks good in that glass.

[​IMG]

FrankLloydMike and rhino88888888 like this.
  29. Aaron58

Aaron58 Initiate (163) Dec 16, 2007 Massachusetts

Well Im also factoring in that Im sure they would have grown in the past few years too. But your point is very valid. Maybe thats why they closed up?

30. Hiwattowner

I’ve been told by mutual friends that it was mostly lifestyle and career driven. Martha had given up her science career for a number of years. I think they decided to pursue other dreams. Nothing wrong with that.

31. hobbitz

hobbitz Initiate (110) Jun 17, 2010 Rhode Island

Fluffy white rabbits ages good. Had a bottle last month, bottled 2013 I think.

32. bleakies

bleakies Disciple (339) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

Meadowlark was great, as were their one-off DIPAs, and I loved their saisons (not least their last one, East Kent Saison), and their historical recreation series was a real delight. But I thought their most shining glories were their darker brews, their brown and their stouts and their bocks.

Imagine my delight when I came across a few bombers of their Bocky Bier about a year and a half after its release. They tasted like magic.

[​IMG]

33. jbertsch

jbertsch Meyvn (1,095) Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts

Agree. My favorite PT beers were the ones nobody talked about much. Was never a huge fan of Jack D'or, but I thought St. Botolphs was the best straight brown ale on the market - hands down. Babayaga was a fav of mine, too.

34. AlcahueteJ

Oh shit, totally forgot about East Kent Saison...I kind of remember that one being really good.

Agreed, St. Botolphs was excellent.

But nobody talks about brown ales.

FrankLloydMike and Hiwattowner like this.
  35. Phineasco

Phineasco Crusader (749) Sep 4, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

I had our finest regards 2015 on tap at deep Ellum back in December. They had Barbapapa as an on-site bottle as well. Reading this thread, I’m kicking my self for not ordering a Barbapapa.

36. Hiwattowner

Don’t get me started on those brown ales.

[​IMG]

37. rhino88888888

rhino88888888 Initiate (97) Dec 12, 2013 Massachusetts

[​IMG]

There was a nice run in 2011/2012/2013 when you could purchase a good variety of Pretty Things bottles at the Brattle Theater's concession stand - Jack D'Or, Meadowlark, Hedgerow Bitter, Saint Boltoph's Town, Bocky Bier, Field Mouse, and the Once Upon a Time series all made appearances. Nothing better than sitting up in the balcony with a bomber, a plastic cup, and a classic movie on the big screen!

38. jbertsch

jbertsch Meyvn (1,095) Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts

Forgot about that EIP - that was a good one.

Hiwattowner and rhino88888888 like this.
  39. kinopio

kinopio Aspirant (255) Apr 30, 2009 Massachusetts

The Brattle Theater is still a good place for beer. Draft options from Cambridge Brewing and Lamplighter, for instance. Plus its a non profit so you are drinking for a good cause.

I believe Jack D'or was the best selling beer at the original Craft Beer Cellar for the first couple years they were open. How times have changed(for the better and worse).

40. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,569) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania