Prices clearly marked?!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by lackenhauser, Jul 1, 2020 at 3:25 AM.

1. lackenhauser

lackenhauser Poo-Bah (2,529) Dec 10, 2002 Maryland
    Society Trader

So my local store for the past 20 years is always out in front, trying to keep what is new, put in a growler bar, etc. Like most other stores as the movement has exploded it has had some out of date stuff laying around, a few zingers in their coveted shelf space and the same other issues that most stores deal with. They may get in 4 to 5 (or more) new beers a week. Sometimes 3/4 IPAs from a single brewery. I cannot keep up with it all. Am open to trying new things BUT, NOTHING IS MARKED WITH A PRICE!!!! I am not about to take a 4 pak to the counter and then go no, too much and return it to the cooler. I am not cheap. Buy my local releases at 20 bucks a 4 pak all day. Cause I know them. But some of these things (that have been marked) are in excess of 25 or 27 bucks a 4 pak!!! They don't do singles either. Walked around for 20 minutes today and just walked out. I do not need sticker shock at the counter. Am I an idiot? Wrong? I try to be an educated consumer...

2. Benish

Benish Meyvn (1,143) Mar 13, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

I agree 100%. I’ve been in one store on two separate occasions. No prices on their bottles. It is so annoying. And I feel weird asking how much it costs. I never went into that store again. Bummer though, it was a beautiful place and they obviously put a lot of effort in their store.

3. kojevergas

kojevergas Poo-Bah (9,323) Aug 15, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

When there aren't prices marked and it's clearly a problem with more than 10% of their stock, I just leave.

This is a particularly egregious issue in the Austin, TX market wherein the majority of good beer stores happen to be gas stations.

4. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,711) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

OP, it sounds like over time your store has decided they can get away with controlling their complacent customers. Try taking 4 6-packs to the check-out and ask the prices of each. Pick only one to purchase (if the price fits your needs) and let the store return the others (or all of them) to the shelf.

Or if you have other, better stores available to you it's time to change your loyalties.

bmugan, Raime, DoIa and 14 others like this.
  5. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,272) Sep 24, 2007 Mayotte
    Society Trader

Yeah, there needs to be something: shelf tags, stickers, a sign, some damn thing. Let 'em know why you ain't buying.

meefmoff, Whyteboar, cavedave and 8 others like this.
  6. nomisugitai

nomisugitai Initiate (112) Mar 11, 2006 New Jersey

I hate trying to guess the price. So many stores have this situation. Many times I will just buy a 6 or 12 of cheap beer, and I will only return in an emergency.

ChicagoJ and pudgym29 like this.
  7. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (802) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

A big part of not going to WF anymore is no prices/wrong prices. I complained about beer with no prices and shelf tags showing the wrong beer. My answer was you can just stand in line and we can scan any beer you want. No thanks. How about pricing beer and keeping up with the correct prices. I asked why there was no scanner I could just scan my beer but was told that was not going to happen.

Not been To any WF to buy beer in many years.

Enjoy

8. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,854) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Other than BA stouts, I shy away from $20 4 packs, really $15 is usually my max. I did spend $20 on several 4 packs to support local breweries during the shutdown, and might again if it gets that bad again. But when things are going good, I have my limits.

9. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (296) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

There's a store near me that is like this. The first time I was told that they were remodeling/updating so I let it slide. Months later I went back and nothing had changed and in some ways it was even worse so I left and have no intention of ever returning. Prices are critical for consumers to make informed decisions and if you aren't clearly marking them it's a huge red flag to me, especially here in PA where prices can swing drastically from one place to another with no real rhyme or reason.

I firmly believe that places like this are counting on people not wanting to go back and forth to the register or ask for help and will just buy it once they are at the register.

10. lackenhauser

Society Trader

Mine too really...like to support local but dial it down a bit to broaden the horizons...

11. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Devotee (459) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Trader

My “local” shop out here in rural Central PA is like this. I typically don’t care about asking for a price on something since it’s a little shack and there’s usually no one else in there. Usually only go there when I have to and when I do, get the freshest IPA they have. Prices are pretty reasonable - maybe $1-2 more for a 4/6 pack and sometimes their stuff is cheaper than other stores.

HorseheadsHophead and ChicagoJ like this.
  12. dennis3951

dennis3951 Meyvn (1,006) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I have no problem bringing an unpriced beer to the counter and just leaving it there if it cost to much.

ypsifly, DISKORD, Peach63 and 3 others like this.
  13. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,360) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Society Trader

But apparently not enough effort where it counts the most. It's the boutique approach like when you go to an ultra fancy restaurant and there are no prices on the menu. "If you're concerned about price, you're not worthy of dining/shopping here." It's also playing the card of you wanting the beer badly enough to bring it to the check-out, so if it's a bit more expensive than you expected you just say "fuck it" and buy it since you're already most of the way there. It's pretentious and presumptuous and drives me up a wall just as much as the rest of y'all

14. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Meyvn (1,380) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

Yes, there were a few great stores with no pricing that I end up not returning to because an informed consumer is a satisfied consumer. Don't want to feel like I got "screwed" when I bring a beer to the counter expecting $X based on suggested retail pricing, but turning out to being $X +.

There was a craft store that opened literally less than 2 blocks from me. However, they price gouged BCS and left some beers without pricing. When I came in for the BCS and they wanted $48.99 for a variant, I told them they would never get my business again. They haven't.

I go several miles away to pick up products I can get at the store 2 blocks away Honest and fair, that is where my money goes. I understand a smaller store cannot compete with a massive retail chain (Total Wine, Binny's, Costco), and I am OK with that I am perfectly fine to spend a slightly more to support a local store. I just want to be treated fairly, and know what the terms are without being "surprised" at the register.

Whyteboar, sulldaddy, ESHBG and 4 others like this.
  15. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,003) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Are people discussing actual price tag/stickers ON bottles/sixpacks? I probably haven't seen them in 20 years - every store I go to (chain or indie) rings up sales with a barcode reader and, usually according to state law, there must be a shelf tag, as stated in this NJ regulation:
    So, the complaint should be directed to one's state consumer affairs division - they go by any number of different names- although, IIRC, some have claimed that in their state's liquor stores/beer stores are exempt and/or regulated by the state alcoholic beverage commission.

ChicagoJ, Reef, dennis3951 and 2 others like this.
  16. traction

traction Zealot (561) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Society Trader

The best place for getting singles around here has been open 5-6 years now and has never had there prices marked since they opened. They are a taproom as well and all the prices for draft are marked but none of the cans ever are. I pretty much go in the with expectation most beers are going to be in the $5-6 range for a single and that is generally accurate. The lack of pricing has always bugged me but they get cans I can't get elsewhere so I continue to go.

BrewsOverHoes and Peach63 like this.
  17. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,358) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

The fancy beer bar/store near me has every single bottle or can priced with a sticker. Its just one of the reasons I continue to.shop there even though their to go beer prices are higher than grocery or liquor stores. Most other stores use shelf tags but there are a few other places that tag 6/12 packs

JohnnyHopps likes this.
  18. ESHBG

The store I am referring to has neither. I have thought about filing a complaint but not worth my time, I just won't go back.

And how's this for old-school: one bottle shop near me uses stickers on their bottles and they are handwritten! It's only the singles, though, everything else has a shelf tag.

19. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (2,095) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

My local guys have stickers on everything. The only time I run into no price is if it just came into the store and is not put out yet, even then no big deal since I am told the cost before grabbing.
    Honestly if I went into a store and there were no stickers I would either leave or take everything to the counter and only purchase what I want and they can restock the rest. I would not feel bad at all, if they are too lazy or won't advertise cost then they can spend time to place things back.
    Cheers

ChicagoJ, Ronmarley1 and PapaGoose03 like this.
  20. traction

traction Zealot (561) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Society Trader

I've done this more than once. The place I go that doesn't price beers I will bring everything I'm interested in the the counter and and if the price is to far off from what I expected I don't buy it and leave it on the counter. They never seem surprised when I do it so I can't be the only person who does. It just seems like the logical thing to do when nothing is priced.

21. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (2,095) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

Agree, I would have to imagine most bottle shops would expect this since the customer has no way of knowing. I still am at a loss as to the theory behind no pricing, it seems dumb. You either lose a customer due to no price or you sticker shock them at the counter and they walk. Most times people can adjust to a price when shopping so in theory your costing yourself sales using this practice. I cannot recall the study but shoppers will end up paying more for an item the more time they have to think about it, read it somewhere a long time ago.

22. lackenhauser

Society Trader

Yeah I have thought of that. Take a bunch there and then buy one or 2. Really they are the best in town and have all the latest from the hot breweries...

ChicagoJ and PapaGoose03 like this.
  23. lackenhauser

Society Trader

Good point. However in that regards many of the shelf tags are never updated. So like it said $8.99 for a six pack of Heavy Seas Peg Leg. get to the register and it is $10.99. I tell them that's not what it is marked and they are like the shelf tag is wrong. I have argued it and been sold it for that, and I have walked out as well.

ChicagoJ, PapaGoose03 and officerbill like this.
  24. Insomniac

Insomniac Initiate (90) Nov 5, 2019 Canada

IMO it is deliberately deceptive at worst and misleading at best to not price products. The seller is counting on you to be too embarrassed to not purchase the product after you’ve brought it to the counter. My wife and I lived in Toronto for many years where it is common practice for restaurants to place their menu in the window. Some of those menus didn’t have prices so we never bothered. Deliberately deceptive or misleading. I would absolutely take my beer buying business elsewhere under that situation.

25. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,379) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

I agree 100%, when places do this, I feel like they are trying to hide something. Not too hard to display product prices and if I came across a store that didnt practice this, I wouldnt shop there.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  26. LarryV

LarryV Poo-Bah (1,857) Jun 13, 2001 Massachusetts
    Society

I generally don't purchase a beer if I don't know the pricing. I have been known to go to the counter and ask the price for a beer and then just put it back if it's too pricey.

Luckily, most of the stores around me mark their prices pretty well. The beers that usually lack prices tend to be new arrivals. Anything in a 4 pack format needs to have a price on it or I won't buy it since they tend to be on the ridiculously pricey side a lot of times. If I go to a store and none of the beers are priced then I just walk out empty handed.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  27. meanmutt

meanmutt Savant (946) Feb 6, 2012 Ohio
    Trader

I know the feeling. My local spot sounds a lot like yours. It's a real pain. I have actually put stuff back after finding out the price.

28. CB_Michigan

CB_Michigan Initiate (140) Sep 4, 2014 Illinois

My tolerance for this depends on what kind of place it is. If it's a decently sized liquor store or a grocery, their beers should be priced clearly and accurately. What irks me is when there are vague shelf tags like "Half Acre Limited $18.99" "Half Acre Limited $15.99" and "Half Acre Seasonal $13.99" and there's one 4-pack that isn't lined up with any of them. Overall, I've probably come out ahead compared to msrp, but it's still annoying.

On the flip side, there's a place that's more of a bar/taproom with 2 or 3 coolers of packaged beer. Their beers usually aren't priced because (A) their inventory turns over pretty quickly and (B) there's an upcharge for onsite consumption. It's a well-curated selection but I think they're only getting a few cases at a time. I'm willing to cut them a break since everything has been within a dollar (sometimes higher, sometimes lower) of other places, and the folks who work there seem nice. I can totally see how it might be off-putting to some but I think they make up for it with responsive, down-to-earth service.

29. LarryV

LarryV Poo-Bah (1,857) Jun 13, 2001 Massachusetts
    Society

And there's nothing wrong with that, if they don't want to post the prices then I'll ask and put it back if I don't like what I hear. I have no qualms whatsoever about doing so at all.

ChicagoJ and meanmutt like this.
  30. semibaked

semibaked Zealot (595) Mar 27, 2007 Illinois

I’ve always said “If they are too lazy to price it, I’m too lazy to buy it”

Just bad business

31. ypsifly

ypsifly Meyvn (1,077) Sep 22, 2004 Michigan

I tag everything in the store because I'm too lazy to look stuff up on our outdated POS system several times a day.

32. Singlefinpin

Singlefinpin Defender (643) Jul 17, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

My local bottle shop has this problem of not having all their prices marked.
    That being said they have two things very much in their favor, one they are less than a mile from my house. Two, they sell singles, so if I pay a little more for one beer, that's okay.
    Thirdly, the staff are all knowledgeable nice people, which makes the experience of shopping there worthwhile.
    Fourth, they have beer on tap I can shop while drinking beer!
    Tap beer makes shopping for beer a much better experience!
    Cheers!

33. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (802) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I wish stores would add all their stock to a data base and then I could just look it up. If prices change then it’s Simple. I’m guessing they would need to link the pos to something.

can it be that hard? Not a tech guy so I really don’t know.

Enjoy

34. woodchipper

woodchipper Meyvn (1,208) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Society

I think price labeling is a law in CT. Still, with all the beer coming in and stock shifting places and customers knocking things around I see non-priced beer or miss-priced beer (beer A labeled and priced as beer B) all the time.

35. The_Kriek_Freak

The_Kriek_Freak Poo-Bah (2,073) Aug 18, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I have made it a rule to not buy from places that don't show prices (and do so on purpose). Will make some exceptions for certain limited beers but otherwise would avoid.

DISKORD and ChicagoJ like this.
  36. eppCOS

eppCOS Meyvn (1,370) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Any place that is trying to operate like a Gucci store? Yeah... no thanks. Mark the price.
    I'm so OCD I get grumpy if there's no ABV on the can, for God's sake.

37. lackenhauser

Society Trader

Ha me too!! Wanna know the bang for my buck!!! Saw some grapefruit radler that looked good-like $5.99 a 4 pak of cans until I found out it was 2.5%!!!!

38. lackenhauser

Society Trader

Just went to a second store in town I have not been in a while. same thing outside of the Bud and Bud Lite specials.....I said to the guy nothing is marked in here to which he replied prices change so often it isn't worth it....Ok then. Grabbed a six pack of St. Pauli Girl to pretend I was in high school and left.

39. ESHBG

Not that hard really. You could do a simple Excel on your website and sync it with your inventory. Would probably be a big time saver for the business in the long run too.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  40. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,346) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

Huh, what store changes prices on their beer frequently? Seems slightly suspicious to me. The stores I typically visit change prices maybe once a year, if that. Looks like you are 0 for 2 in stores. Next! :wink: