Lagers Procrastinator - Dopplebock - AG

Discussion in 'Homebrew Recipes' started by jbakajust1, May 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Crusader (729) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon

Beer Name: Procrastinator
    Beer Style: Dopplebock
    Brew Type: All Grain
    Batch Size: 5.25 gallons in fermenter
    OG 1.075
    FG 1.017
    ABV 7.8%
    SRM 20
    IBU 29 (Tinseth)

Extract Efficiency: 73%

Grain Bill:
    11.5# Weyermann Munich II
    4.0# Weyermann Pils
    0.50# MFB Caramunich 120L
    0.50# MFB Chocolate Malt (end of mash)
    0.25# Melanoidin Malt
    0.25# MFB Caramunich 40L
    0.50# Light Brown Sugar (beginning of boil)

Hops:
    FWH 1.70 oz Santiam ~ 6.0AA% (Home Grown)

Yeast:
    Wyeast 2308 Munich Lager 2X 2L steps - stirred starter

Water:
    Ca 61.7, Mg 0.0, Na 6.1, Sulfate 30.9, Chloride 59.8, Bicarbonate 61.8, pH 5.2
    Gypsum: 1.1g (mash), .7g (boil)
    Calcium Chloride: 2.9g (mash), 1.6g (boil)
    Pickling Lime: 0.6g (mash)

Process:
    Mash grains (less Chocolate Malt) @ 150*F for 60 minutes. Stir in Chocolate malt and let grain bed reset. Vorlauf, and batch sparge to 7 gallons, add in the sugar. Boil for 90 minutes adding hops as scheduled, adding whirfloc and nutrient at 10 mins from end of boil. Chilled to 50*F with immersion chiller. Transferred to 6 gallon Better Bottle, aerated 25 mins with pump. Pitched yeast and placed in fermentation fridge for 7 weeks @ 50*F, 1 week @ 42*F. Bottled, then kept 6 weeks @ 48*F while carbonating, then 12 weeks @ 42*F.

Other Notes:
    1st Place - Sasquatch Homebrew Comp 2013 @ 4.5 months old, Bock category
    2nd Place - KLCC Homebrew Comp 2014 @ 13 months old, Bock category

2. jbakajust1

Look:
    Pours a super clear garnet with ruby highlights, thick tan head with medium size bubbles, fades to a thick cap which eventually becomes nothing as it warms. Light lacing, long legs.

Aroma:
    Deep aroma of malts, burnt raisins, toasty breads, plum skins, a little molasses, alcohol, light metal (dissipates as it warms), chocolate as the beer warms. No hops, no DMS, no diacetyl, clean lager character.

Flavor:
    Taste starts off with chocolate, then leads to plums, alcohol, sweet breads, toasty, rich melanoidins, deep malt character. No hops, no DMS, no diacetyl, clean. Towards the end, as it warms, there is a kind of flabby fruit flavor in the finish.

Mouthfeel:
    Medium-light body, fluffy carbonation, semi-sweet finish, bitterness is perfect for balance, light alcohol warmth.

Overall:
    Looks great, everything I was hoping for, perfect color and clarity, the head needs help though as it falls flat eventually. Clean beer. Rich malts, deep melenoidin character, raisin and plum, light chocolate, smooth, alcohol is clean and warming. The body is too light, needs to be chewier. Next batch needs to have a thicker body, better head retention, and a fix to the flabby finish (water chemistry/pH maybe?).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tebuken likes this.
  3. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Initiate (0) May 29, 2011 Florida

Looks nice man, what your thoughts on adjustments for next batch? Higher mash temp? Wheat? You still sitting on bottles of this?

4. jbakajust1

I still have a few in the fridge, just not the weather for it though. Comments on the last comp (2nd place) was that it is showing some age.

This was one of the last beers I brewed before moving to overnight mashing which gets me in the 86% extract eff range everytime. Next time will have no sugar addition and higher OG from eff. I will keep everything else the same except adjust the pH down some in the boil which should help with the flabby finish (had same issue with some other beers). I think a bigger yeast pitch would help with the head retention. It did the job, was clean, well attenuated, but it shouldn't have taken as long to finish, and the beer should have great head. I'll use a brewery pitch next time, big slug.

5. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,904) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

Tell me more about this, please? Is this a cooler style setup? Does it maintain temps? Other details and advice for someone who might try this soon...? If already discussed in a previous thread, feel free to link.

6. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Initiate (0) May 29, 2011 Florida

In overnight mashing, your mash doesn't get too gummy? You ever have the need to add rice hulls at mash out? And what kind of pH drop do you see in the mash? Does Lacto have enough time to drop the pH any significant amount?

7. jbakajust1

pweis909 likes this.
  8. Tebuken

Tebuken Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2009 Argentina

You can add up to 2% of flaked oats to improve head retention, it won´t hurt beer taste.

jbakajust1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.