Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Propolis Brewing, Port Townsend - Anybody try it?

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by harrymel, Jun 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. harrymel

harrymel Dec 15, 2010 Washington

Just nabbed a couple of their bottles, they look interesting as does their website, but I can't seem to find much on their beers.

website is propolisbrewing.com

Anybody given them a shot?

cheers
    harry

2. libbey

libbey May 18, 2008 British Indian Ocean Territory

I tried the Spruce tips Saison. I dug it.

3. Kurmaraja

Kurmaraja May 21, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Just started seeing their bottles show up and was about to ask the same question. I grabbed the Beltane (elderflowers) but haven't consumed it yet. It looks like their site lists the seasonality of each beer; the spruce was back in March so I chose the Beltane due to it's May date. Note sure that a couple months makes a huge difference, but since their whole shtick is local and seasonal, I went for the nearest date.

4. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Aug 17, 2005 Oregon
    Beer Trader

I've had the Ostara, Beltane, and Spruce. All 3 were well worth the $15/bottle price tag.

5. 5000

5000 May 18, 2013 Washington

That's good to hear! I plan on sending some of this to Michigan, Minnesota, and Texas. Looking forward to trying the bottles I have.

6. harrymel

Good to hear the feedback. I put in the request to have them added to the site, was #11 in the queue - however long that takes...
    EDIT- .....And it's up!

Kurmaraja - Propolis's website says the seasoning in the beer is best experienced between 6-12 months after bottling. Don't know if they know that for sure though since they've only been around for 12 months.

Kurmaraja likes this.
  7. bifrost17

bifrost17 Dec 16, 2011 Washington

I just picked up a bottle of their Gardin Saison today while I was over in Poulsbo. Anyone had it?

barleywinefiend likes this.
  8. 66jzmstr

66jzmstr Jul 17, 2005 Washington
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I saw three of them at Bottleworks last week. I was really tempted by the spruce tips saison, but it's a bit of a tough sell for me at $15 a pop for a saison. I'll have to get around to them sometime. It's cool to hear that it sounds as if they'll never brew the same beer twice, supposedly. Glad to see more unique breweries like this pop in Washington.

9. beertunes

beertunes Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Beer Trader

Wait, never brew the same beer twice? Won't that make some of their beers, uh, rare?

podunkparte, jgrgas, bfg75 and 2 others like this.
  10. 66jzmstr

66jzmstr Jul 17, 2005 Washington
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Shhh! You're going to make them have to move out of state or something.

11. barleywinefiend

barleywinefiend Nov 22, 2007 Washington

Had my Gardin yesterday.

12. bifrost17

How was it?

13. barleywinefiend

barleywinefiend Nov 22, 2007 Washington

Steller.

14. bifrost17

Damn yes.

barleywinefiend likes this.
  15. distantmantra

distantmantra May 23, 2011 Washington
    Beer Trader

You guys gonna carry them at WF?

16. bifrost17

I dunno. Possibly, probably just depends on the amount they can produce. I really hope we do though. I hadn't even heard of them until I was in Poulsbo yesterday. I can't wait to try Gardin.

17. suncrust

suncrust Apr 17, 2011 Washington
    Beer Trader

I opened a 7/13 Litha a few nights ago. Bottleworks had this plus a few others.

Wasn't really my thing, though. Very herbal, w/ lots of spicy notes; almost tea-like. Floral, w/ some ginger, jasmine, & coriander mixed with a fruity tartness. Yeasty, with a brightly dry finish. A lot going on & very flavorful. My girlfriend adored it.

Certainly well crafted and different. I see potential in them, and it's great to see a brewery like this in WA. This particular beer didn't quite do it for me, but I think many would enjoy this. Looking forward to trying more!

18. libbey

Gardin was very good and has the potential to get even funkier with the Brett presence. I grabbed a second bottle to lay down for a bit.

I also grabbed a couple bottles of Fructus that is suppose to have been brewed with raspberries and strawberries. I'm looking forward to that one and will report back.

bifrost17 likes this.
  19. harrymel

Damn, been looking that one over, hoping to come across a bottle of that someday. Hope it's tits.

20. Lansman

Lansman Mar 19, 2011 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Fructus was delicious. Bottle I had disappeared quickly. Will be picking up a couple more. Very tasty.

Prufrockstar and libbey like this.
  21. distantmantra

distantmantra May 23, 2011 Washington
    Beer Trader

I picked up a bottle of Fructus the other day at Bottleworks. Very excited to try it.

22. harrymel

Damnit, damnit, damnit! I'm not in Seattle for a few more weeks and want to try Fructus soo bad. Anybody wannagopickitupformebro?

23. libbey

I'll pick you one up tomorrow if they still have any at Pint Defiance

24. harrymel

Thank you sir! Thank you kindly!

25. SeaAle

SeaAle Jun 24, 2012 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Just saw on their facebook that that they will be in Portland this Saturday for a tasting at 1856. 3 of their beers will be on tap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe