Proposed CAN Size To Alleviate Current CANcerns

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by woodychandler, Jun 9, 2021.

1. woodychandler

woodychandler Poo-Bah (11,943) Apr 9, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I am CANurrently drinking a Rodenbach Fruitage in a CANned serving size of a whopping 8.5-fl oz (~ 250 ml) that came in a SlimLine CAN!

At one point, the SlimLines were thought to be the cylinder of the future, but only SixPoint (& a handful of others) bought into the Red Bull CANcept. 8=( They make for easy storage, given height vs. width/girth, but they just did not catch on.

The CANQuest (tm) was disheartened by this turn of events, but forged ahead in the face of all opposition.

Lately, we have been faced with a worldwide shortage of aluminum with which to make new CANs, precipitating a greater demand for bauxite ore, which is incredibly tough on the planet, given its mining process.

There has also been two (2) disturbing trends - 1) a shift to 16-fl oz pint CANs & a reversion to glass bottles since Al CANs are unavailable. Both strike me as grossly UNSAT! First, who CAN get through CANy quantity of DIPAs & TIPAs in a pint format, CANned or otherwise? It is far too much of a good thing & CAN lead to unwanted drunkenness when a simple partaking was on the menu. SeCANdly, haven't we learned the folly of bottles? There is a reason that The CANQuest (tm) has emerged triumphant. This represents a major step backwards!

My soCANlution? Put ALL craft beers in these 8.5-fl oz (~ 250 ml) SlimLine CANs, at least for the foreseeable future. It is a reasonable quantity of beer, even for a Barleywine or an RIS, plus it would be highly transportable as well as taking up much less room on the shelf, allowing for more different beers to be produced & marketed.

The CANQuest (tm) has spoken.

2. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,963) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

8.5 ounces, same price per six-pack, no doubt. :rolling_eyes:

3. jonphisher

jonphisher Zealot (518) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

You should change your handle to woodyCANdler :stuck_out_tongue:

4. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,201) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I saw a ad (Print? Video?) the other day where Ball (one of the few US beverage can manufacturers) is selling aluminum cups to compete with the horrible mostly-red (but some blue - no idea if it's a political choice) plastic cups, promoting them as being both reusable and recylcable.

First thing I thought was, "Hey, WTF - I thought aluminum for cans was in short supply - and you're introducing a new product?"

https://www.ball.com/aluminumcups

As for the OP - doesn't the larger can contain less aluminum per ounce? Seems to me going smaller is a waste of aluminum.

Home School Science Class Experiment
    (Weighted on an antique Ohaus scale - accuracy unknown?):

7.5 ounce (Pepsi) = 13 grams
    12 ounce (Anchor) = 15 grams
    16 ounce (Ind. Arts - adhesive label peeled off) = 19 grams

5. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (8,563) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Yeah, the smaller cans would lead to more aluminum usage, not less. Lets say we have a gallon of beer to package. That would be 8 16oz cans, 10.6 12ozers, and 14.7 8.7oz cans. That's just for the cans. Each can also needs a lid. Add in @jesskidden 's math above, and it takes roughly 2 mini cans to equal a tallboy, which seems to be the choice of a new generation. And, the lids are thicker than the cans, so two lids for the smaller format would use more aluminum than 1 for 12 or 16 oz cans.

6. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (1,801) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

So clearly, all beer into 24 oz cans!

7. Todd

Todd Founder (6,244) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

I prefer 15.5 gallon reusable cans made of stainless steel.

8. BillAfromSoCal

BillAfromSoCal Aspirant (252) Aug 24, 2020 California

I agree with other commenters....smaller cans = more Al per volume of beer. However, I also strongly agree with the OP's opinion that smaller volumes are preferred for some of the really nice high-ABV beers. I can live with a 12 oz, but I would absolutely love some of the high ABV barrel-aged stouts in a 8-9 oz format. In the absence of that I have to wait for the rare moments when Mrs. BillA wants to share 16 oz.

9. tolar111

tolar111 Zealot (575) Aug 17, 2008 New York

Has anyone weighed the various can sizes to see what the differences are between large and small cans?

10. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Post #4 in this thread.

11. tolar111

tolar111 Zealot (575) Aug 17, 2008 New York

Really! I must have missed that. How much does a 12oz can weigh? Or a AB 25oz can and those craft imperial pint cans?

12. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (1,801) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

I like those too but I have a hard time being discreet with them when I'm at the playground with my kids

13. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,201) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Go down to the local thrift store and they'll likely have one of these:
    [​IMG]

14. Junior

Junior Crusader (798) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

I went to a restaurant once that served all drinks in stainless steel cups. It was horrible. I just could not handle the metallic taste and feel. Luckily they had some glasses in the back.

15. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Poo-Bah (3,151) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society

I would like to see more 8oz and small containers too. You can always open another one if you want it.

16. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR Initiate (164) Jan 8, 2015 California

Choice is good I suppose but I do not see myself ever purchasing a 135ml (4.5 oz) can of beer. [​IMG]

distantmantra, KentT, SABERG and 11 others like this.
  17. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (13,144) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

I CAN't get behind that. Clearly 16oz cans are superior doses in most cases. I've gotten so used to them, that I feel robbed drinking 12oz doses. I CAN understand the need for smaller doses of really strong beers, but I just CAN't do beer shots.

KentT, Roguer, BigIronH and 6 others like this.
  18. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,092) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

If the math side of my brain is working right today, taking these numbers a step further, that means around 1.75 grams of aluminum per ounce for the 7.5 oz can of Pepsi (which I think is heavier than beer so the number may be a little lower); 1.25 grams of Al per oz for the 12 oz can of Anchor beer; and around 1.2 grams of Al per oz in a 16 oz can of the Ind. Arts beer. Clearly the 7.5 can is wasteful for the small amount of liquid it holds.

19. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (672) Mar 28, 2009 California

My solution is use more bottles. I love cans and for me the have a time and place but I love bottles too. No reason to move so many beers to cans only.

20. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

No. The 12oz format is perfection.

21. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (672) Mar 28, 2009 California

it really is. Perfect for a solo pour and if you do get a high abv and want to split it with a friend 6 ozs is nice too. Also, if you don’t want to split it i can drink 12ozs if pretty much anything.

stingray, 2beerdogs, Jaycase and 7 others like this.
  22. JayORear

JayORear Meyvn (1,317) Feb 22, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I've never understood this all-caps "can" thing, but I know it makes me unreasonably irritated. Can someone explain it to me? Or am I just asking for it?

Roguer, 2beerdogs, WCKDVBZ and 8 others like this.
  23. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (2,087) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Red v Blue as a political shorthand is quite recent. It originated (IIRC) from the TV talking heads election maps in perhaps the 2000 election and went from there. Red solo cups for beer is a tradition at least 50-60 years old.

Look at me... pretending to inform jk about history! The nerve! The audacity! :astonished:

... slap down impending... :cold_sweat:

beertrip, Roguer, 2beerdogs and 7 others like this.
  24. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,675) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

It's Woody. He's the beer CAN man. As opposed to being trash can man. He likes to start fires. :wink:

25. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Woody substitutes the word can where he CAN. It's all part of the CANquest. Any more CANstions?

KentT, Roguer, 2beerdogs and 9 others like this.
  26. moodenba

moodenba Devotee (442) Feb 2, 2015 New York

The 8.5 can might satisfy your needs, but really what problem would uniform 8.5 oz cans solve? There are too many brands on the market now (I can't keep track). Lack of choice isn't a problem. 8.5 is OK for strong beer, but some of us like something near 5%. Small container cost a lot more to fill and use more resources (for equivalent volumes of beer) than larger ones. If you were to buy bottles, you would be able to stopper leftover beers with some marginal loss of carbonation. If you have a dinner party, crowler sized containers might be good. My preferences in container size and packaging do influence my purchasing: growlers, 12 cans, 12 bottles, 1/2 liter bottles . . . depending. But probably not 8.5 cans.

#26 moodenba, Jun 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
  27. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,963) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

It's like one of those quirks your weird uncle has. You just nod and put together his point with the rest of the words. :wink:

Sorry Woody -- you're really the best. :grin:

28. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (449) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

Woody your soCANlution (that doesn’t work BTW) ignores the fact that we are currently living in a free market eCONomy (that almost works) and brewers are going to use the most profitable vessel most of the time. Cheers dude.

29. moodenba

You are providing common-sense evidence of the industry's can configuration rationale.The beverage can manufacturers have all this figured out to the last tenth of a cent per can. They minimize the costs by calculating the height/diameter ratio to provide maximum volume for least aluminum area. They also want to minimize the closure diameter, thus the necking at the top. In the past we've rarely seen special can shapes (early on 11 and 12 oz slim Coors, then Hamms Draft, more recently from Sapporo). The 12 oz can is standard for a good reason.

Roguer, russpowell, ChicagoJ and 4 others like this.
  30. woodychandler

woodychandler Poo-Bah (11,943) Apr 9, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I tried, anyway. I am a beer CANnoiseur, not a mathematician. I appreciate the (obviously much greater) thoughtfulness that went into so CANy responses. I suppose that I shall stick to drinking & writing as opposed to engineering.

For those late to the party, The CANQuest (tm) was initiated in early-Winter 2004 in response to a ChANllenge from Late-Night Beer Advocate (LNBA). I was told to find something more universally available when I disliked that forum's focus on whalez. I hit upon CANned beers when such were an CANomoly & immediately seized upon it as my Quixote-like mission. That is, to photograph, drink, rate & review EVERY CANned beer in existence.

I was roundly scoffed at, laughed at, pointed at & ridiculed (& that was just my mother), but my persistence has paid off - today, only Russ Phillips of the coffee-table book Craft Cans & I are recognized as the early-adopters of the format for craft beer.

I have seen so many early detractors fall by the wayside that it is unimaginable. The most glaring is xx of xxx xxx who has come under fire for blatant sexual harassment. He beCAN a series of EXTREMELY-limited CAN releases at one point & when I eschewed them, he inquired as to my reasoning. I replied that I was simply saving his for last, sending him into an apoplectic fit!

Why all-CAPs? Because CANned beers are THAT important to me. The puns? I am an inveterate punster & educator who beCAN every class meeting with "Mr. C.'s Pun of the Day".

It is always nice to engage on here in an ocCANsional manor. My reviewing days are behind me, but I CANtinue to add beers, Notes & CANy pictures as I believe that this is a wonderful archival site. Now, I simply check-in on Untappd (& if you don't like the puns here, DON'T look at my acCANt there!).

I leave you with The Beer Monk's Rap:

Y'all know me
    My name is Woody
    I go from town to town
    I really get around
    They used to call me The Beer Pest (C)
    'Cause I like to go to fests
    I was just at Goose Island
    Man, they got at me
    'Til I couldn't stand!
    Peace, babies, I'm out, yo!

'Cause

stingray, beertrip, Roguer and 17 others like this.
  31. Chaz

Chaz Poo-Bah (2,178) Feb 3, 2002 Minnesota
    Society Trader

I bought myself some of them thar aluminum cups and they are great! Keep nicely chilled, and very easy to recycle.

russpowell, ChicagoJ and tolar111 like this.
  32. moodenba

quixotic, to say the least. I was a beer acquirer/taster in the early 70's, and that was also quixotic, so I can sympathize.

33. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,834) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

The answer is to bring back the 40oz.

34. Ranbot

Ranbot Defender (652) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

MNAle likes this.
  35. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,248) Sep 15, 2014 New York
    Society

I've advocated for 8 oz cans for high abv beers for years. 16 oz is way too much for anything over 10-11%. Even 12 oz is a bit much.

stingray, 2beerdogs, Benish and 4 others like this.
  36. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,707) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Ha, this was good.

37. micada

micada Defender (669) Jul 13, 2015 New York
    Trader

Go glass or go home. There is a lot of sand.

Roguer, SABERG, Jaycase and 6 others like this.
  38. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (11,042) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

I was gonnna say mini Kegs like Bells & such, but Todd above speaks the truth!

39. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (11,042) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

That's where those high dollar water containers come in handy, for all the they know, you are drinking water... initially at least...

BillAfromSoCal and PapaGoose03 like this.
  40. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

FTFY.

moodenba likes this.