Pumpkin beer recommendations?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by AlienSwineFlu, Aug 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThomasJ25

ThomasJ25 Initiate (0) Jun 2, 2014 Pennsylvania

Whole Hog Pumpkin Ale

2. denpub

denpub Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2013 Pennsylvania

I would have to say Spring house Braaaiins and Lancaster Baked Pumpkin Ale.

3. DieHippieDie

DieHippieDie Initiate (0) Oct 12, 2012 North Carolina

ST FTW. Weyerbacher is pretty good too I think.

4. Dray

Dray Initiate (0) Apr 6, 2012 Pennsylvania

Had Smashed Pumpkin from ship yard for the first time yesterday and wasn't overly impressed. Decent, but had a little too much Cinnamon after taste for me.
    The one thing that i feel everyone on this thread should understand is we are basing our assessments on our own tastes. These threads do not mean that you should not drink the beer you like or that there is anything "Wrong" with you for liking something that others don't. With that being said, how can anyone drink pumpkin head beer from Ship Yard????? You must have burnt your taste buds!!!! Just kidding of course.

5. Jared14

Jared14 Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2014 Missouri

I aged a CV Pumpkin Smash and Pumking for various intervals. Pumking had lost a little and settled a bit at 6 months but was still good at 3. CV I drank at 3, 6, and 11 months and it developed really well.

6. Fallow

Fallow Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2013 New York

IMO Warlock blows away pumking. Pumking is a little too sweet for my liking. Warlock seems more balanced. I just think the roastiness pairs very well with the spices

JakerLou and fmj40 like this.
  7. BennyBeer04

BennyBeer04 Initiate (0) Aug 27, 2009 Massachusetts

8. fmj40

fmj40 Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2013 North Dakota

My sister loved punkinhead, until I sent her ST pumking...now she can't drink the shipyard. Shipyard just has a funky taste to it, I didn't finish the one I ordered on tap while I was out East. I grew up in Maine but live in North Dakota.

9. Gtreid

Gtreid Initiate (0) Mar 27, 2008 Florida

Good gourd. Nothing else is in the ballpark.

10. TommyTheHat

TommyTheHat Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Deactivated

+1
    Too spicy for me. Tasted like I was drinking perfume. I had it on tap at Weyerbacher.

11. Grodd87

Grodd87 Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2014 Pennsylvania

Drinking terrapin right now not my favorite pumpkin beer but ok

12. BobbyDigitali

BobbyDigitali Initiate (0) May 26, 2014 California

13. xShoWTeKx

xShoWTeKx Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2013 South Carolina

DFH Punkin is my personal favorite. ST Pumking is good but last years had a very very hardcore butter taste that wasn't very pleasant, going to give it another shot this year. Also going to try a lot more pumpkin beers as well, really want to try Weyerbacher Imperial and Jolly Pumpkin La Parcela.

14. Homebrew

Homebrew Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2012 Connecticut

I have to try this I used to love pumking and dragons milk is the shit! Mmmmmmm

15. Homebrew

Homebrew Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2012 Connecticut

[​IMG] Have to show some local love, I've had nothing like it :rolling_eyes::astonished::grimacing:

16. Jirin

Jirin Initiate (0) Apr 28, 2013 Massachusetts

When I was first getting into beer I liked Shipyard Pumpkinhead. Later on I found it nearly undrinkable. It's hard to find a word to describe what I couldn't stand about it, 'Artificial' isn't quite right. It's just not well balanced, the pumpkin spice part of the taste overpowers the beer part of the taste.

17. PunkPeach

PunkPeach Initiate (91) Feb 13, 2014 Pennsylvania

Does any Pumpkin Beer out there have like a subtle whipped cream flavor in it too? Haha. I don't like my pumpkin pie without some whipped cream on top!

18. cope9559

cope9559 Initiate (0) Aug 6, 2014 New York

holy pooping pumpkin

19. BeerMeInStl

BeerMeInStl Aspirant (209) Jan 26, 2013 Missouri

Buy a bottle of Pumpking and a bottle of Creme Brulee. Mix and enjoy!

20. NorCalAussie

NorCalAussie Initiate (0) Jun 26, 2013 California

Almanac Heirloom Pumpkin barley wine!

MighHighBrewer likes this.
  21. AntG21

AntG21 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 Syria

PumKing. Easy.

22. edwado

edwado Initiate (0) Jul 9, 2013 New Jersey

second that notion-a perfect beer if you like the style-I do

PBRmeasap1980 and thufflife like this.
  23. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

I just tired weyerbcher's imperial pumpkin ale and I cannot fathom how this brewer flies under the radar so consistently. This beer has a good bit of pumpkin flavor and a touch of bitterness that is as much from the pumpkin itself as fromthe hops. Not too many spices and I am grateful because I do not think that beer and cinnamon go well together. This one has more nutmeg. That famous weyerbacher abv kiick at 8% and a bright bit of ginger. I will buy this one again next year.

24. ArbyLagers

ArbyLagers Initiate (0) Aug 20, 2014 Louisiana

The one with the pumpkin lake front lager my favorite. has spice and bread and brett and pie! like whip creme on crust and filling of sweet pie SO GOOD!! :grinning:

25. TommyTheHat

TommyTheHat Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Deactivated

You see how opinions and taste can vary. I, on the other hand found it (Weyerbachers) overly spicy and thought it tasted like I took a sip out of a cologne bottle. At the moment I am drinking a Southern Tier Pumking and I think I'm done with Pumpkin beers. I've given it my best shot and I guess Pumpkin just isn't for me. They are all too sweet and it seems Pumpkin and/or spice just just doesn't work with beer (for me). I guess the bottom line is I don't want "flavors" to my beer.

utopiajane likes this.
  26. BeerMeInStl

BeerMeInStl Aspirant (209) Jan 26, 2013 Missouri

Try cellaring one for a while. I don't really like pumpkin beers fresh either. Too much spice for me. I find that after they cellar for a little while the spice drops off and I get more pumpkin.

27. ChipMurray

ChipMurray Initiate (0) May 21, 2013 Pennsylvania

DFH Punkin Ale
    Schlafly's Pumpkin Ale
    ST PumKing

in that order, more or less.

Boca-X likes this.
  28. ubenumber2

ubenumber2 Initiate (0) Sep 1, 2012 Arkansas

I've tried many , not had one yet that I have enjoyed

apendecto likes this.
  29. Boca-X

Boca-X Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2014 Missouri

nice list...we should get together and drink a few...

30. Averwo

Averwo Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2013 Iowa

31. kfh227

kfh227 Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2011 Connecticut

Had many pumpkins at this point this year. Off the top of my head.

I'd say the Dogfishhead is the best so far. I am actually having it for the first time right now. Wayerbacher and Two Roads tied for second place.

The Magic Hat was nice.

I had a few that I will never buy again. I have to look at my notes though.

And I have to say that I don't know what the hatred over the Shipyard 6 packs is. It was probably the most pumpkin tasting one that I have had. Wouldn't call it the best one though.

EDIT: I am continuing to sip the dogfishhead. Definitely the best one that I have had. Great taste. Great after taste. I even like the feel in my mouth granted I think alot of hte pumplkins have a nice mouthfeel. my nose is utter crap so I have no comment on smell. It takes a strong scent for me to notice it when it comes to beer.

32. misternebbie

misternebbie Initiate (0) Aug 24, 2014 Pennsylvania

Whole Hog
    Dog Fish
    Pumking

Fav Pittsburgh locals
    Pumpkin Roll, Penn Brewery
    Blockhouse Pumpkin , Iron City
    Nunkin,East End (no actual pumpkin)

Nebbie

33. wallpaperbag

wallpaperbag Initiate (0) Nov 17, 2008 Alabama

Whole Hog is my favorite. Was Pumpking but I wasn't into it the last couple of times I tried it. Opening an Imperial Pumpkin Smash tonight, which I'm excited about. Also really want to try Good Gourd Almighty..

34. BradShook

BradShook Initiate (0) Aug 12, 2013 North Carolina

Pumking
    Cottonwood
    DFH Punkin

I am really looking forward to trying Terrapin's Pumpkin Pie Stout this year. Sounds interesting.

35. DrMindbender

DrMindbender Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2014 South Carolina

Thomas Creek in Greenville SC makes a great pumpkin ale (plainly called Thomas Creek Pumpkin Ale), that is nicely balanced, uses real pumpkin instead of just spices, has a nice pumpkin pie flavor and blends well with a good Imperial Milk Stout (my favorite way to balance a pumpkin). I've had 7 different pumpkin beers so far this season and honestly, I think it's the best executed. It helped me figure out exactly which style pumpkin homebrew I want to do this year!

36. Clap4Beer

Clap4Beer Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2013 New York

Pumking and warlock are great. Grabbed a Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin after reading about it here and loved it. I was happily surprised by Redhook Pumpkin Porter also. I like the style in general. I'll have to snag a Schlafly when i see it, based on all the recommendations . Don't see many of the others around here.

37. Kappakoosh

Kappakoosh Initiate (0) Dec 26, 2013 Texas

I'm cracking a 2012 Pumpkinator on Halloween. I cannot wait. I had the 2012 last year and it held really well.

IHeartPumking likes this.
  38. saburky

saburky Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2011 Ohio

Hoppin' Frogs Double Pumpkin ale

39. CBlack85

CBlack85 Crusader (729) Jul 12, 2009 South Carolina
    Trader

DFH Punkin
    Cottonwood Pumpkin

and of course my homebrewed pumpkin ale

40. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Initiate (0) Aug 21, 2005 Minnesota

Shlafly Pumpkin is everything I think a pumpkin beer should be. It's very drinkable and comes in six packs to boot. Lots of other good beers, but I'll give the nod to Schlafly for my personal tastes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.