Pumpkin Porters and Stouts

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BeerVikingSailor, Aug 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kerry4porters

kerry4porters Zealot (541) Dec 31, 2012 Arizona

I'd Recommend Grand Canyon Brewing Company's Pumpkin Springs Porter fantastic pumpkin spice flavor with solid porter it wraps around

2. sammyg832

sammyg832 Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2013 Arizona

Very underrated. Do you know if it is being released again this year?

3. BltByKrmn

BltByKrmn Defender (627) Jan 16, 2013 New York

Maybe it just hasn't had a chance to mellow out a bit as it was just released, but does anyone else think Warlock is a little too sweet this year? Still delicious, but pretty sweet.

4. briang01

briang01 Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2009 Maryland

Schlafly has a great pumpkin stout... not sure if it was a tap room one-off or it is is distributed. I only tried it once when I was on a work trip to st louis - I have never seen it bottled anywhere.

5. IvanJ126

IvanJ126 Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2014 Texas

Saint Arnold Pumkinator is a must try .. probably will be out in the next month I cant waittttt

6. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Champion (894) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

According to this, that Schlafly stout is "retired" and only draft....never made it to OH anyway!

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/583/85489/

7. BeerVikingSailor

Trader

Perhaps ST accidently mixed some Pumking in with the Warlock!

I love Warlock, the "King....not so much.....way too sweet for my tastes

8. BeerVikingSailor

Trader

Have not heard yet, sure hope so! That was a great Porter!

9. Vogt52

Vogt52 Initiate (0) May 25, 2014 Maryland

I'd like to find a pumpkin stout that tasted like a stout. Warlock had way too much pumpkin flavor

10. Built4Comfort

Built4Comfort Initiate (70) Aug 2, 2014 Missouri

Another vote for Crown Valley Pumpkin Smash. It is outstanding. This year's version is out in stores in Missouri at least. Picked up a couple bottles of Warlock last night. Looking forward to giving it a try.

BeerMeInStl likes this.
  11. Elivictus

Elivictus Initiate (0) Aug 18, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Deactivated

Picked up 2 bottles of this. Their imperial beers they've been doing have been great so far.

12. Brew_Bro

Brew_Bro Initiate (0) Mar 4, 2014 Florida

That isn't a porter or a stout.

13. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,360) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Society Trader

If you ever get ahold of any, make sure to age it for at least a year. Way too much spice presence when fresh.

14. GreekTragedy

GreekTragedy Initiate (83) Jul 25, 2011 Indiana

I really enjoyed Warlock, more so than Pumking.

15. microbrewlover

microbrewlover Initiate (0) Oct 5, 2006 Pennsylvania

"Wyerbacher's Imperial Pumpkin Ale"- Wyerbacher
    "Devious"- Fegley's/Allentown Brew Works
    "Pumpkin Ale"- Post Road
    "Pumpkin Ale"- Smuttynose

16. LancetherealLeader

LancetherealLeader Disciple (379) Jul 12, 2013 South Carolina
    Trader

I had 'Pumkpin Tzar' recently and it was decent. It did have a chili kick, if you don't mind that sort of thing. The pumpkin takes a back seat on this one when compared to Warlock.
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/28726/90099/

Vogt52 likes this.
  17. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2013 Florida

I bought a few crown valleys when I went to N.O. last T-giving. I will buy a case this year.

18. BeerVikingSailor

Trader

Thanks for your input.....BUT, NONE of these are pumpkin stouts or porters

19. BeerVikingSailor

Trader

I came back from North Carolina last weekend, and bought a 4 pk of the Crown Valley Pumpkin Smash Stout.....it is incredible, so I called my daughter, who is attending Grad School at UNC Chapel Hill, and she picked up a case of this for me!
    I am a very happy Pumpkin beer man! Easily one of the best pumpkin beers I have had for several years, and I have had a lot! Seek it out if you can....it is amazing!

beerindaglass likes this.
  20. Spewlander

Spewlander Initiate (100) May 17, 2014 Minnesota
    Trader

Yup.

21. PatrickInAustinTx

PatrickInAustinTx Devotee (405) Nov 16, 2013 Texas
    Trader

Another crown valley pumpkin smash fan here. I've had most all pumpkin beers that I'm aware of and the only pumpkin beer that is better IMO is good gourd almighty. Crown valley is just hitting stores in Austin and it's around $10 a 4-pack. It has rich chocolate notes to pull together all of the spice. Very impressed with this one as I picked it up on a whim. Would love a rum barrel aged version of this.

22. PatrickInAustinTx

PatrickInAustinTx Devotee (405) Nov 16, 2013 Texas
    Trader

I most definitely agree. Warlock was a favorite of mine last year and this year I won't be buying any

23. Roxie_B

Roxie_B Initiate (0) Jun 1, 2014 Alabama

Pumpkin you say? Stouts and Porters eh? You've got my attention. Thank you for the list. There is not enough autumn in one year for all the fantastic beer.

24. BeerVikingSailor

Trader

If you like stouts and porters, get yourself some Crown Valley Imperial Pumpkin Smash stout.....not sure if distro'ed in your area.....but.....get some!

You will thank me later! Freakin' awesome stout and pumpkin dark goodness!

25. PackPride

PackPride Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2011 North Carolina

Pumpkin beers are my favorite seasonal beer. That being said, most pumpkin beers are more of a miss than a hit for me. However, when a brewer nails the brew, I don't think there's any better seasonal beer throughout the year. Southern Tier Warlock is a very good balance of stout and pumpkin, I think it's exceptionally done for a larger craft brewer. Of course Dogfish Punkin is a classic, along with Schlafly Pumpkin, Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin, and a few others. The list could go on and on, but I can't remember them all.

26. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,655) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

What I posted previously in this thread: "I enjoy drinking Elysian Dark of the Moon Pumpkin Stout but it tastes more like a 'regular' stout to me vs. a pumpkin stout; the pumpkin aspect is subdued in this beer."

Cheers!

P.S. The above is for the 2013 version. I have not had a 2014 Dark of the Moon.

Vogt52 likes this.
  27. BigOldOaf

BigOldOaf Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2011 Massachusetts

Pumpkin stouts are my new favorite seasonal style/sub-style. Regular pumpkin beers don't really do it for me, but Fisherman's Imperial Pumpkin Stout and ST Warlock were both outstanding. Can't wait to get my hands on them this year!

28. BeerVikingSailor

Trader

The theme of this thread I started, is about Pumpkin STOUTS AND PORTERS

Don't people read anymore?

29. PackPride

Jesus, calm down guy. I didn't know we had Joseph Goebbels running this thread dictating every single typed out word. Here's what I suggest you do with my post: Ignore everything you saw except the Southern Tier Warlock portion. Happy?

30. BeerVikingSailor

Trader

I am quite calm, "guy"

Read much?

31. PackPride

I didn't see anywhere in your thread that said "Other pumpkin beers besides porters and stouts will be strictly prohibited from conversation". I'm not trying troll ya, I'm just pointing out that people can talk about their dogs and cats if they want to in this thread. It's not that big of a deal. Let's just carry on with the topic, I'm a big fan of the pumpkin stouts and porters, but I was just merely listing other pumpkin beers and my taste for them.

32. BeerVikingSailor

Trader

Right, you can comment on whatever off topic subject you want....go for it bro....whatever floats your trolling boat!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.