Pumpkins

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Kram3r, Oct 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kram3r

Kram3r Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2014 Texas

Anyone age pumpkins/spiced? How's the flavor profile hold up or change?

2. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Initiate (0) May 8, 2006 Michigan

Generally speaking, I really do not see any improvement with age from beers of this style. There is no doubt that you will have people tell you that they think "Pumking with a year on it is great", and things of that nature, but I have not heard many people talk about actual improvement in the beer itself. I think you can find a number of pumpkin beers that hold up well, do not count on many improving however.

3. Coorsy

Coorsy Defender (643) Jul 11, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

I personally have not. It doesnt seem like a beer worth aging as pumpkin beers are best when you can taste the full pumpkin and spice flavor.

Then again i got some really fresh pumpking once and it was a little to boozy for my liking. Call me weird thats just how i felt.

-xICooRsYIx

4. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,785) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society

I aged a Pumking for a year, then I did a side by side comparison with the current year's release....both still very good, but both my buddy and I agreed that the current year's was clearly better

5. ASak10

ASak10 Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2014 Colorado

I think beers like Avery's Rumpkin and Pump[KY]n would do well with some age, given the heat and ABV of the beers.

6. Vogt52

Vogt52 Initiate (0) May 25, 2014 Maryland

I have a full tilt Patterson Pumpkin in the cellar right now

7. bleedblue9150

bleedblue9150 Initiate (0) Jun 25, 2014 Ohio

Anyone attempt this? I just bought 1 of each to sit on for at least a year. Unfortunately was a 1 bottle limit and went very fast.

8. tkdchampxi

tkdchampxi Meyvn (1,042) Oct 19, 2010 New Jersey

Did you try it before? I really recommend trying it. I thought the PumpKYn was already excellent. I think the Rumpkin was less excellent, but maybe I just prefer bourbon.

If you age it, you might be able to mellow out the heat from the high ABV, but you're also probably going to lose much of the pumpkin/ spice character of the beers

9. bleedblue9150

bleedblue9150 Initiate (0) Jun 25, 2014 Ohio

I have not tried them. Just wish I had an additional bottle of each.

Might just crack them open with friends. Try to trade for one if needed.

10. ASak10

I've had aged Rumpkin and it's fantastic. I also love it fresh. The spoils of living in Colorado :slight_smile:

Pumpkyn is obviously new so no chance there, but I did get a few to put aside and a few to drink now. I'm doing a small pumpkin tasting in a week and a friend is bringing all the Rumpkins from batch 1 to the present...I'll try to report back on how they are holding up over time.

bleedblue9150 and tkdchampxi like this.
  11. dheldman

dheldman Zealot (550) Feb 7, 2011 Minnesota

Had a 2+ year Millstream Imperial Pumpkin recently and it was much better than fresh. Had a great spice character still but without being overly in your face. Maybe an odd candidate since the base beer isn't at the top of the pumpkin list but overall something I'd recommend to anyone looking to cellar a pumpkin beer.

12. JR86

JR86 Initiate (100) Jul 24, 2014 Florida

CCB Good Gourd is great with a few months on it...I've even waited a year and it was still good. Takes the edge off the spices.

13. jae

jae Aspirant (210) Feb 21, 2010 Washington
    Trader

I love 2-4 year old La Parcela.

RDMII likes this.
  14. RDMII

RDMII Disciple (385) Apr 11, 2010 Georgia

Being a sour though, it can age anyway.

Pumking for me is way too sweet, I like older bottles just to mellow out the sweetness. The spices fade too of course, but it's more drinkable for me with time. Maybe not 'better', but easier to stomach.

15. ASak10

Ok, so had the pumpkin tasting...we ended up having the 2011, 2013, and 2014 Rumpkin (no 2012). The 2011 was just about perfect...I can only describe it as liquid rum pumpkin candy. It was absolutely amazing. 2013 was a little meh, it was missing something. 2014 was hot, as expected, but I love this beer fresh. However, it's a completely different beer from the 2011, as you get a lot of the up front rum notes from the barrels. The 2011, by contrast, the rum had faded just enough to allow the sweeter notes of the beer to really shine through.

We also had a variety of other small verticals (usually last years and this years version of something) and for most, a year really didn't do much to the beer. So most pumpkins I would not age, but Rumpkin definitely is worth it for me, and I'll be keeping a few extra in the cellar.

bleedblue9150 likes this.
  16. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2010 Texas

Saint Arnold Pumpkinator holds up extremely well for at least 2 years. I've head some of the original Divine Reserve #9 (2009) is doing quite well also.

17. Dupage25

Dupage25 Aspirant (226) Jul 4, 2013 Antarctica

I'm drinking a PumpKYn now and I can realistically picture this resembling a Bourbon County Pumpkin Stout clone in a year or two, were such a beer to exist. The texture is not as oily as BCBS but it has a similar molasses 'n' whiskey flavor profile up front, with some indiscriminate spices thrown on top. It's main drawback right now is that the finish is a bit too fiery, booze heat mixing with spice heat in a way that prevents the spices from really shining. I can make out some cinnamon but otherwise the spices muddle too much with the alcohol heat. Once the alcohol heat fades a bit this should be interesting.

18. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (269) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

I once had a year old Dogfish Punkin, and it was a complete drain pour.

19. dutesanch

dutesanch Disciple (352) Apr 22, 2014 California
    Trader

I plan to sit on some of my favorite Pumpkins from this year. T.R.E.A.T., Anderson Valley Pinchy Jeek, Epic Fermentation, and Uinta Jacked and Shipyard barrel aged.I guess we'll see what's up next year!

20. Rob1110

Rob1110 Initiate (0) Jul 7, 2012 Massachusetts

The spices do mellow but the base malts start to come out more. With something like Pumking, this can be a good thing. I just cracked a bottle of 2012 Pumking yesterday and it was more pie crust than spices. The fall spices were still present but definitely more restrained.

I'll be doing my big pumpkin tasting on the 8th with verticals of Pumking (10-14), Oak Jacked (11-14), 3 years of Rumkin (11, 12, 14) and several others. Gonna be shittin' nutmeg for days.

21. KornWallace

KornWallace Zealot (507) Dec 1, 2011 New York
    Trader

I've aged ST Warlock for a year last year and am doing so again this year. I found the flavors melded together very well and at the pumpkin beer tasting I had this year most people preferred the year old to the new.

22. mindswoop

mindswoop Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2011 Texas

I think Rumpkin gets so cloying candy sweet after 2 years I can't drink more than a few sips. A year max IMO.

23. mindswoop

mindswoop Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2011 Texas

Agree that Pumpkinator ages well...and it needs it with all the dry spicing this year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.