Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99! (Limited time offer, US delivery only)

Question about visiting St. Louis and possible IP Trade

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by AlexHouston, Jun 29, 2017.

1. AlexHouston

AlexHouston Initiate (161) May 19, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Greetings,

My lady and I are planning on coming down to St. Louis for two nights and have some spots on the agenda, like Urban Chestnut, Schlafly and Perrennial. I got some questions though hoping the locals can clarify for us.

1. Is there any big difference between the two locales for UC and Schlafly or is it just a matter of taste/what's closest?

2. Generally speaking, how safe is that area by Delmar where the two locations are? From what I can tell, it seems like if I stay south of Delmar, we should be fine, but is there any other area of the city we should make sure to stay clear of?

3. I have some extra Dark Lord from this year, so if you have any imperial stouts or barleywines from breweries in St. Louis that you might want to trade, DM me.

As always, thanks for looking.

2. japetus

japetus Initiate (0) Sep 14, 2005 Illinois

These are just my opinions, so nobody shoot me.

As far as Urban Chestnut, the Grove location is a massive, gigantic bierhall/production facilty..and I mean massive. The Washington Ave is smaller. Both have a good selection, and I would say both are worth a visit. Schlafly...I much prefer the Taproom and I will leave it at that.

Safety wise you will be fine in either location. Just don't go much further north. Stay away from East St.Louis/Washington Park.

3. OakvilleKGB

OakvilleKGB Initiate (145) Dec 3, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

I would suggest the Urban Chestnut Grove location as it is a cooler experience personally and I like their food selection more. I would also suggest the Schlafly Bottleworks as I have never been to the Taproom...Both of my suggested locations are also near Side Project Cellar and Brewery, 2nd Shift Brewing, and Tapped (new local bar with 40 taps that you pour yourself) so those are added bonuses in the same area to visit.
    If you are an IPA fan, I would make sure to check out Narrow Gauge which is further north near the airport and just be mindful no matter where you go.

4. NWer

NWer Crusader (713) Mar 10, 2009 Washington
    Beer Trader

Limited random sampling:
    Visited Side Project & 4-Hands & loved them both. Also went to Schlafly & regretted it. Their beer is mediocre at best and their food is awful. YMMV

5. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Defender (622) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Schlafly tap room is awesome, bottleworks is ok, especially in the food department. Neither is the place to go if you want to drink barrel aged or hype type beers, just solid examples of various styles

Definitely go to 2nd shift and heavy riff if you have time

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  6. Gregwilsonstl

Gregwilsonstl Initiate (32) Aug 11, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Schlafly used to be more enjoyable before there were so many better options. Side Project, Narrow Gauge, 2nd Shift, Perennial, Civil Life, 4 Hands all deserve a visit. Personally for food and beer Narrow Gauge is my #1. Six Mile Bridge isnt bad. Either Urban Chestnut location is decent. Theres about 35 or 40 other brewpubs that I'm not even mentioning......but Schlafly isnt a place Id put high on the list.

btw, not sure why people think Narrow Gauge is by the airport. Its 7 miles from the airport. For reference, Side Project is 11 miles from the airport. Not much difference, but they are opposite directions.

7. leroybrown10

leroybrown10 Meyvn (1,140) Jan 26, 2008 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Narrow Gauge is north and the airport is north so they must be the same place.

Also, while it might be 7 miles to drive around to arrivals/departures, it's probably only 3 miles, 4 at most, to the airport property from NG. It' the basically the full 11 miles to the airport property from SP.

8. Gregwilsonstl

Gregwilsonstl Initiate (32) Aug 11, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Narrow Gauge is 15ish minutes from the airport. "Nearby" is relative I suppose. Regardless, of this value-less side conversation about distance, my point is the same......Narrow Gauge is worth going to for food and beer.

9. AlexHouston

AlexHouston Initiate (161) May 19, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Thank you all for the input. Shame I didn't see 2nd Shift until now, but that can always be added on for a return visit. We were able to hit up Urban Chestnut on Washington, Schlafly Bottleworks, Side Project's Cellar and Perennial. Not bad for a day and a half of work if I don't say so myself.

UC had a pretty cool outside space with some overall solid beers. Moon Monkey was alright, though lacking on the ginger flavor, while their chestnut brown ale was good.

Schlalfy had an outstanding coconut creme ale, which was great for a coconut superfan like myself, though their grapefruit IPA and oatmeal stout could've been more complex. Also, their mac and cheese was just downright awful. I don't think I've ever had a more disappointing mac and cheese from a brewpub.

Side Project and Perennial, on the other hand, were pretty phenomenal. At Side Project, we randomly met some cool folks from the city and shared some Apple Brandy Deviation which was outstanding. Their beer list is freaking ridiculous and you could spend some heavy coin there for sure. Perennial was more chill and slow in the afternoon, and accompanied by a solid grilled cheese, some delicious Sump from this year and a wit beer with a nice subtle sour twang.

Also, I found it highly amusing that Budweiser has the Bud light insignia spray-painted on the road that runs right by their brewery on the river. What a bunch of chodes.

Beer_Economicus and Buck89 like this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.