Question: Kuyt Beer

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by stevoj, May 12, 2020.

1. stevoj

stevoj Poo-Bah (7,262) Nov 22, 2011 Idaho
    Society

I added a new kuyt beer in today (Mad Swede Helhest). Kuyt is an old Dutch style (15th century) made with oats. I looked through the database to see if there were any other beers of this style listed. There were, with no consistency on the style ( it's definitely not Belgian). I added it as Scottish Gruit/ Traditional Herbed Ale, as that seemed to be the best fit. I imagine Kvieks would also suffer from having an appropriate style, like Traditional Ale. Maybe Sahtis too. Thoughts?

KRug, GreenBayBA, Limazulu and 6 others like this.
  2. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (9,009) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

Sahti is a style on this site so there should be no issue with those... As for Kuyt and Kviek, you have to take a look at the available styles on the site and find the best fit - certainly there are a number of styles (historical and otherwise) out there in the world that are not listed on this site so you just have to go with the best fit you can find.

If you think numerous beers of a similar style that is not present on BA should be categorized in the same style feel free to suggest an edit for them.

3. patto1ro

patto1ro Zealot (561) Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands

Kuyt - also spelled Kett, Kuit, Koyt and a few other ways - wasn't an exclusively Dutch style. It was also brewed in what is now Belgium and parts of the West of Germany.

KRug, RochefortChris, FBarber and 5 others like this.
  4. SLeffler27

SLeffler27 Poo-Bah (2,329) Feb 24, 2008 New York
    Society Trader

Some of these obscure styles can easily fit into one of the styles recognized by BeerAdvocate, like (Grisette, Kentucky Common or Dampfbier), then there are some that sort-of fit in multiple styles, like (Grodziskie or Lichtenhainer), and then there are some that really are unique, like (Adambier, Kuyt, Joppenbier, or Gotlandsdricke.)

BeerAdvocate could list some obscure styles as “similar to” within an established style, and settle the issue. And just imagine the conversation THAT would generate.

Another idea, and not exclusive of the first, is to add a catch-all “Style Guide” that collects all the other odd styles. The guideline could make it clear that these are a collection, with links to off-site guides.

GreenBayBA, PapaGoose03 and adrock314 like this.
  5. patto1ro

patto1ro Zealot (561) Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands

Grodziskie isn't like any other style. What's another smoked, top-fermenting wheat beer?

FBarber, cavedave, GreenBayBA and 3 others like this.
  6. HopBelT

HopBelT Poo-Bah (1,634) Mar 18, 2014 Belgium
    Society Trader

I agree most of the styles mentioned here should be categorised as a style on their own, but for now I would place Kuyt (or Koyt) as Scottish Gruit, and Grisette and Kveik as Saison...

GreenBayBA likes this.
  7. HopBelT

HopBelT Poo-Bah (1,634) Mar 18, 2014 Belgium
    Society Trader

8. SLeffler27

Society Trader

Good point. My comment was too general, and my opinion is based my personal experience of the aroma/flavor of only a few samples.

Likely any attempt to identify “similar to” will be met with these objections. Hence...
    And this is precisely the conversation I find to be interesting and satisfying. PROST!

9. SLeffler27

Society Trader

Agreed. Grisette, while clearly different, is most like a Saison.

Two problems with each getting their own style guide are: 1 - Finding the dividing points. 2 - Having too many styles for folks to distinguish. Especially when most of these obscure styles are rare, by definition.

Thus the compromise suggestion of a catch-all guide pointing to off-site guides. For folks trying to understand each style, they will have a means to easily learn and measure what they experience. For folks just enjoying something new, they will have a place to post them. In my opinion this will help generate focus, on these styles, and possible incubate proliferation.

10. stevoj

stevoj Poo-Bah (7,262) Nov 22, 2011 Idaho
    Society

I think Traditional Ale would work....