Questions (again) for Yearly Kansas City Visit

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by GRG1313, Jul 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GRG1313

GRG1313 Poo-Bah (3,853) Jan 15, 2009 California
    Society Trader

I personally find the people on this site to be amazing resources which I greatly appreciate. I will for about the 7th year in a row be coming to Kansas City to be a Judge at the American Royal BBQ Competition the first couple of days in October. I'll be judging the Invitational and the Open so I won't have a whole lot of time. But, we're coming in a bit early because we've really come to look forward to our yearly trip and love your city. Thus, I need an update! There's some good beer in it for the suggestions that I use - for real.

Last year I was turned on to Pigwich, a place where I ate 2 times before leaving! And, of course, I make my yearly pilgrimage to Boulevard (hope to see you Ted!) where I trust I will go again, at least once, with hopes of tasting something new.

But to my current question! What's the latest and greatest in:

1. Brewery scene; beer bar; bottle shop(s)?

2. What are the "must go" places for good food, both very high end and then just plain good and funky? (Like I said, we love Pigwich! And, we make our yearly trip to Smithville to Justus Drugstore, which we love also. I again have reservations at Justus and we'll go to Pigwich right from the airport when we land!) But, I need the new and great places - where are all the "cool kids" eating this year?? (Best new suggestion will get a "waxed" Bruery beer not distributed).

I will send a very decent bottle of beer to not only my favorite place but this year will send a nice bottle to anyone (the first person!) to recommend ANY of the places to which I go, the bottles being one not distributed in K.C. and likely from California or Colorado.

Thanks. Hope this does not offend. You all have been wonderful in the past and I appreciate your suggestions. I'm asking early so that I can make reservations and plan accordingly.

BrettHead likes this.
  2. BrettHead

BrettHead Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

evilcatfish likes this.
  3. GRG1313

GRG1313 Poo-Bah (3,853) Jan 15, 2009 California
    Society Trader

Yes, I will likely make the yearly trip to Bier Station and also to Lukas. A quick comment: when I first started going to K.C. I found Cantillon Fou Foune regularly on the shelf at Lukas, among other great Cantillon bottles that were just sitting there, most at under $20. Those days are over! but I fondly "remember when." Thanks also for the craft beer site.

BrettHead likes this.
  4. SudsSavant

SudsSavant Aspirant (239) Jan 9, 2007 Minnesota
    Trader

I'm assuming no BBQ places again for this year? (If so, Q39 or Danny Edwards for lunch right near Boulevard!) I didn't win last year but I'll try again with the recommendations of Asian noodles and dumplings at Blue Koi or Room 39, both along West 39th. I'll also throw out Char Bar in the Westport neighborhood. Granted, they have BBQ but also have some good smoked meats and southern dishes on the menu and have a cool outdoor patio with some fun game setups out there.

If you can't tell, I'm partial to the W 39th/Midtown/Westport area of town. I was down there over the July 4th weekend and Westport seems to be going through a revitalization so it may be worth it to just hit up the area and explore what's around.

BrettHead likes this.
  5. Reed

Reed Initiate (0) Mar 4, 2012 Missouri

Martin City Brewing Co - Pub Side for great beer and food! Bier Station is one of the coolest beer bars in the city; they did a killer job of hosting Zwanze last year. For just food (BBQ) I vote Char Bar, Q31, Jacks Stack, or Gates. Bottle Shops on the KS side - Tipsys in Mission, MDL on 95th, Lukas in Overland Park, Rymann in Lenexa, and Gomers KS. For MO bottle shops - Gomers Midtown (Westport), Lukas MO, Royal Liquors on 103rd, Hy-Vee in Lees Summit. If you are looking for a nice sour beer, a local brewery called Cinder Block has an amazing peach sour on right now. Other than that, Martin City does some cool BA dark beers, but there isn't much else good being made locally IMO.

6. poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt Initiate (91) May 25, 2005 Nebraska

if you want a break from BBQ, i went to rye in leawood for lunch when i was in town a couple of weeks ago and loved it. beer-wise, nothing too crazy, but a decent sized selection of very good (mostly local) beers.

7. Reed

Reed Initiate (0) Mar 4, 2012 Missouri

Port Fonda in Westport is one of my favorite local restaurants.

8. ig88b

ig88b Initiate (101) Jun 18, 2009 Missouri
    Trader

Heh, apparently I "won" last year but didn't end up reading the thread afterward to notice. Oops.

Beer updates: since your last visit, Cinder Block is really killing it. They've got a Peach/Apricot sour that's completely and utterly amazing. Torn Label is a new opening as well, and is great.

I mentioned last year that The Rieger is the best restaurant in the city and stand by that recommendation. A good example of why it's my favorite is a recent meal I had. I ordered several things including a tomato salad and really didn't expect the highlight of the meal to be the tomato salad. It was so simple, but the amazingly fresh tomatoes paired with a sauce made from sous vide egg yolks and basil was out of this world. I'm going there again tonight just for the tomato salad. Do yourself a favor and check it out. They also have a world class cocktail program, if that floats your boat.

9. Spinrathen

Spinrathen Initiate (0) Dec 18, 2013 Iowa

I'm making a trek to KC in a few days. Lukas or Gomers in MO are the best all around bottle shops?

10. costanzo_mike

costanzo_mike Meyvn (1,214) Jul 17, 2014 Massachusetts

I'm also making a trip to KC as part of a baseball road trip starting this weekend. In addition to the primary KC hot spots for beer, I wanted to visit a brewery in Kansas. I did a ton of research to see what the closest would be since our time is limited in KC. BA lists Flying Monkey as being in KCKS but further review tells me that location is either closed to the public or closed altogether? Any insight?

11. homebrewhawk

homebrewhawk Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2005 Kansas

If you liked Pigwich, the Local Pig people have a spot in Westport now. Il Lazzarone is a new place doing Neopolitan pizza in the River Market. They have a good beer selection as well. We had dinner at Novel on the Westside recently and really enjoyed it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.