quick whirlpool question

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by JrGtr, Jul 13, 2020.

1. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (435) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

So I'm just starting my boil and questioning myself. For most of my hop additions I use a spider and bag.
    PLanning on 3oz of flameout / whirlpool hops today; am I better off just tossing them in the bag with the others or add them in loose?

2. Genuine

Genuine Devotee (452) May 7, 2009 Connecticut

That can depend on how you’re chilling your wort. I just picked up my first hop spider after 10 years of brewing and it’s been one of the best pieces of equipment I’ve used to reduce clogging my CFC. Usually 4oz and under I don’t have to worry however when I make a NEIPA with 7-8oz of hops in the whirlpool.....that’s another story. If you’re not worried about chilling or anything getting clogged, throw them in. The hop spider helps keep a majority of the larger hop matter contained while what makes it way into the kettle is easily managed by my pump and CFC.

3. riptorn

riptorn Disciple (381) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

With pellet hops I've been using a hopspider with bag plenty big enough for the hops to swim around nicely, but I still agitate them as insurance. For the approx 10 batches I've used the spider I haven't noticed the flavor or aroma suffering.
    If using only whole leaf hops they go in commando.

PortLargo likes this.
  4. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (435) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

I chill with an immersion chiller, so that won't get clogged, but I drain from the spigot in my kettle. I do run it through a strainer, but I am worried about it clogging - I don't have a false bottom or internal strainer.

Genuine likes this.
  5. PortLargo

PortLargo Devotee (479) Oct 19, 2012 Florida

I use a spider with a large mesh bag. Everything goes into the bag and I make sure to stir occasionally (both boil and whirlpool) . . . will even lift and let it drain a couple of times to make sure hops are constantly seeing all the wort. Once I get above ~3 ounces I add a second bag (there's room for it to fit). You really don't want a large compacted mass of hops. Either stir a lot or add another spider bag (or ideally, both). With the price of hops you can't be too careful. Oh yeah, put some sort of weight (stainless clamp or spoon) in bag to keep it down, otherwise it'll drift around near the surface.

I have not added pellets commando in kettle. Without some sort of bazooka filter this will lead to big problems.

MrOH and riptorn like this.
  6. riptorn

riptorn Disciple (381) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Good point about the bazooka tube. My kettle has one as well. Without one I'd be more wary of using leaf hops than pellet.

Before the spigot 'n spider my best option was to lift the kettle and pour through a couple progressively smaller mesh strainers. It was a chore but the end product was beyond acceptable. The final strainer was one of those big funnels (with an itty-bitty screen) meant for a carboy. The biggest challenge was making sure the funnel didn't fall into the bucket and dump spent hop sludge into the bucket, which it did more than once.

7. Genuine

Genuine Devotee (452) May 7, 2009 Connecticut

riptorn likes this.