Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Rahr BBAWW $16 this year....what?

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by JGilmore, Dec 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thirdeye11

thirdeye11 Feb 3, 2009 Texas
    Beer Trader

Screen printed bottle and I thought I heard that they're boxed this year too aren't they? Those would both increase costs.

2. Lutter

Lutter Jun 30, 2010 Texas

The Anniversary beer is boxed... this is not.

3. thirdeye11

Beer Trader

Gotcha. I hadn't personally seen the box, but someone else mentioned it so I wasn't sure. Thanks for the clarification.

4. bentwookie

bentwookie Jan 13, 2008 Texas

Rahr has some fanatics that's for sure.
    I haven't cared for this beer in the past but would buy one each year to send to a buddy in DE. Price increase will probably prohibit that this year. Better ways to spend beer dollars.

5. hankbenzenberg

hankbenzenberg Feb 1, 2011 Texas

Agreed. To me, this beer is terrible. Along with everything else Rahr does.

6. saint0r

saint0r Aug 8, 2013 Texas

7. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Feb 21, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

$11.99 at heb northside houston

8. Lutter

I saw this for $17.99 today at a store that had it for $8.99 last year. LOL. I should've taken a pic.

9. East1stgrocery

East1stgrocery May 9, 2012 Texas

I do not know why people always think its THE RETAILER who is charging more and not the distributor or the manufacturer/brewery who might have went up on prices?

If 2 out of 98 other places sold it for less it could also mean those 2 places made a mistake and sold it at the same price as last yr -

oh well here you go - the cost of the beer n profit for BBAWW this yr compare to last yr

last yr we got 5 cases of Rahr BBAWW at $74 each and sold it for $8.99 = 31% profit but that's not the case this yr - this yr we only got ONE case & the case cost was $134.50 and we sold it for $15.99 = 29%

Cheers,
    Sam
    E1G

10. Lutter

Wowsers... a $60 increase year over year.

$5 more per bottle for retailers. Thanks for clarifying.

11. mindswoop

mindswoop Dec 22, 2011 Texas

This is pure BS. It's a pretty good beer, but an 80% increase in one year? The shops are going to get screwed on this one. Who's really buying more than one this year? Screw Rahr and their mostly subpar beer.

Ford, hankbenzenberg, TTUJohn and 4 others like this.
  12. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Sep 30, 2007 Texas

I still need to go and meet sam at east 1st.

i like his posts.

kenihrig and kmello69 like this.
  13. Lutter

It's dangerous going in that store. He's always got choice stuff and loves talking shop.

I need to go in... but between the holidays & recent releases, I'm trying to stay out of beer stores, lol.

blatherbeard likes this.
  14. TX-Badger

TX-Badger Jun 14, 2012 Texas
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Central Market on Lovers in Dallas has it for $13.99, down from $15.99 originally. They have cases just sitting on the floor. I remember when that stuff had to be hidden in the back, now it just sits. Gonna be a shelf turd this year.

15. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Apr 11, 2012 Texas

Specs in Midtown had it for $13.99 cash.

Kept walking without a second thought.

16. GregSVT

GregSVT Jul 1, 2009 Texas
    Beer Trader

I had this the first time they barrel aged it and it was 100% and glorious. It was at the time one of the best beers I'd had from TX or anywhere for that matter. They only leave it in there for something like 10 weeks so the heat is minimal. It's not like Bourbon County that sits there for a year. I'd love to see them go back to 100% but it seems they want to squeeze every last bit of beer out of those barrels and dilute it so they can sell more bottles.

air likes this.
  17. DanzBorin

And at a much higher price.

18. saint0r

saint0r Aug 8, 2013 Texas

I dont mind spending the 10.99 at Hall's, but won't pay $15 or $16.

19. wiingman

wiingman Aug 22, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

HEBs in Houston are selling this for $11.99

Ford and UHCougar12 like this.
  20. Ahaley

Ahaley Dec 24, 2009 Texas
    Beer Trader

Heard one of the Costco's in Austin had this for $12.99

21. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Dec 28, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

It's 11.99 at the couple HEB's where I've seen it in Austin.

22. AlonCicerone

AlonCicerone Jan 25, 2011 Texas

"Cicerphones"...excellent, lol.

air likes this.
  23. Lutter

[​IMG]

Drinking it now...

This beer has dipped greatly in quality over last year... almost no bourbon barrel characteristics in the initial taste (it's just barely there) and a slight woodiness in the aftertaste. As a result, it's a dryer and less sweet beer than it was last year. I actually added a bit of 1792 to the top, which improved things.

Skip this. Get a 6-pack of the regular version if need be. I'd dare to say this ain't even worth the $8.99 it was last year. $5.99 would be my ALV (Actual Lutter Value).

I get to wondering if they used 2nd use BB on this or reused last years barrels and blended it even further. The bourbon flavor is that subdued.

DanzBorin, air, JJFoodie and 4 others like this.
  24. Lurch69

Lurch69 Feb 8, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

I agree. No bourbon flavor, especially when compared to last year. Perhaps the person that added 'coconut' to Stone's R&R Coconut IPA is the same person that 'barrel aged' this beer!

Merry Christmas ya'll!

JJFoodie likes this.
  25. fivehoursfree

fivehoursfree Jul 18, 2010 Texas

You may be making less percentage wise but profit per bottle has increased. last year you profited $2.83 per bottle, this year $4.70. So good for you, assuming you don't sit on those bottles for months.

26. mdeluna

mdeluna Mar 6, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

Please do tell where..
    I need this beer for a trade and I'd rather save a couple of bucks on it.

27. NickG

NickG Apr 2, 2012 Texas

Parmer and McNeil had it for 11.99. I picked up one last weekend. No idea if there are any left or not.

mdeluna likes this.
  28. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Dec 28, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

Round rock heb plus that still has them as of yesterday. Can't remember the other one(I shop at 5 or so diff HEB's). I'd think it would be pretty close to the same price at all Austin area HEB's.

mdeluna likes this.
  29. mdeluna

Beer Trader

Awesome either or those work for my area.. thanks.

30. moefriedman

moefriedman Feb 15, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Never had it before. Picked up a bottle at Plano WF for 14.99. Had it on tap this afternoon. It sucks. OK, maybe a bit harsh but no barrel and a $7 bomber at best. Gonna see if I can return my bottle as WF will take back anything.

31. army01

army01 Feb 25, 2011 Texas

I know I'm in the minority here, but actually kind a like it this year. Very understated bourbon flavor, which, while not popular, is a nice contrast to the over-the-top style, like with with BCBS.

That being said, it's definitely not worth the 14.99 price. But I would be very willing to pay 10.99 for this one.

32. WassailWilly

WassailWilly Sep 8, 2007 New York

Cool packaging
    Decent beer
    No Bourbon
    No barrel

33. greenspointexas

greenspointexas Jan 16, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

lol, why is everyone on this thread surprised at how this beer tastes? its been tasting like this for over 2 years now

kmello69 likes this.
  34. DanzBorin

I think a lot of people may have had this as one of their first barrel aged beers and probably pretty early on in their beer geek-ness. Over time their palates have changed as they've had better beers and it doesn't live up to memories.

That and the beer is made by a mediocre brewery that is most likely trying to increase qty on the market and profit. Hence lower quality product. Sadly at the expense of the customer.

35. thirdeye11

Beer Trader

I think the product itself is a fine example of an English style winter ale that's aged 70% in bourbon barrels. It's subtle and not over the top. While it may not be the beer geek's ultimate choice, if it helps others learn more about barrel aged beers because it won't punch them in the mouth with over the top whiskey/bourbon flavor, then who are we to complain about it?

Many of my friends are just now getting into craft beers and really enjoy Rahr's Bourbon Barrel Winter Warmer. I absolutely love it when I see a post by a new craft drinker that they're trying this for the first time and love it.

We are not the only demo out there, and I think people sometimes fail to remember that. Respecting the beer is still important. Someone made it with care and attention. I don't think anyone would argue that this is a BAD product. By bad, I mean it actually tastes off. It may not suit your personal tastes, but it's a well made, subtle beer that the brewery intended to taste this way.

I do think the pricepoint is off this year though, and consumer demand will tell us whether or not that's the case.

PS: This post isn't necessarily directed at you @DanzBorin I just happened to quote your post because it was the most recent.

36. DanzBorin

I think price is the most glaring issue. Claims that it tastes the same as the regular WW is another.

I think Karbach and Rahr both layer eggs with their BBA winter beers.

37. moefriedman

moefriedman Feb 15, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Fyi, WF will not take back liquor and the beer guy at plano park store is not a very nice guy

38. thirdeye11

Beer Trader

Most retailers will not allow the return of alcoholic beverages, though it is not illegal. Many places wrongly cite the TABC code, stating it's illegal to return alcoholic beverages once purchased, but this is not the case.

Also, which guy at Whole Foods? I know John (bald guy, mid 40's) and he's a solid dude; known him for years. He's a previous Flying Saucer manager and VERY longtime member of the local beer community. Don't know the rest of the crew though.

39. mdeluna

Beer Trader

Thanks again! I just got some there, if anyone is still looking for it.. there's still quite a bit.

40. reverseapachemaster

reverseapachemaster Sep 21, 2012 Texas

I think it's nice to see a BBA beer that doesn't overwhelm the base beer with barrel/bourbon. However, I think we're all in agreement that if the beer is a blend of BBA and non-BBA it shouldn't be priced at the same point as beers that are 100% BBA that are more expensive to produce. I also thought the base beer this go was itself sort of a letdown which makes the beer far, far overpriced for what it is. There's too much solid competition in the BBA market to put out a beer that seems to be getting lesser in quality but greater in price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe