Ranking Regional Summer Kolsch's

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by ZAP, Jul 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZAP

ZAP Poo-Bah (3,347) Dec 1, 2001 Minnesota

Been a drinking a lot of these and would be curious on your thoughts on these four.

I rank them like this:

1.Mankato Original: Just a light edge on Summit Summer. A little more interesting and complex malt profile. Dryish finish

2.Summit Summer: Right there with Mankato Original and maybe a bit maltier overall but I enjoyed the complexity of Mankato a bit more..Not quite as dry as Mankato on the finish.

3.Schell Zommerfest: I try this every year and just never am I blown away. It's better than good but just a notch below the top two Has some lemony zestiness to it.

4. Goose Island Summertime: This seems to have gotten worse over the years or the others have gotten better. Had it side by side on draft with Summit Summer this year and it was not even close. Just kind of a bland, basic beer that doesn't really even seem to fit the style anymore...

So there are my thoughts what are yours...I love these beers in the summer. Love filling my liter sized Paulaner mug with three of them and relaxing in the back yard...lower ABV but still nice flavor and easy drinking this time of the year...

2. morimech

morimech Poo-Bah (2,793) Nov 6, 2006 Minnesota

Tough one between Mankato Original and Summit Summer. I might prefer Mankato but Summit is cheaper and much more available. Schell's is a distant third.

ZAP likes this.
  3. ben4bier

ben4bier Initiate (140) Mar 3, 2013 Minnesota

I haven't done an actual side by side, but I've always been Zimmerfest fan. I also really liked mankato. I don't recall being realimpressed with summit summer, but all the great comments have me thinking I may have to revisit this one.

4. ben4bier

zommerfest might be at a bit of a disadvantage purely based on it's age. 15 years ago when schells released there wasn't nearly the near culture locally that we have now. You probably would've considered a bar pretty solid just for carrying z-fest, now we'll complain about a bar for not having a cask of the latest bourbon barrel aged single hopped mango infused better sour rye wine. it's amazing how far it's come.

also where does laker superior kayak kolsch fall on your list? orwould youinclude blonde ales like provider or lonely blonde

5. ZAP

I think I would slip in Lake Superior Kolsch ahead of Goose but behind Schells but it has been a couple years since I had it so I didn't include it initially as all the others I have had this summer.

6. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Zealot (592) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

I've been drinking the shit out of Peace Tree Sidekick Kolsch this summer. Great example of the style.

BrettHead, Ejayz and Guzzi like this.
  7. Guzzi

Guzzi Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2011 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Same here, really like this one and the logo reminds me of Hong Kong Fooey!

8. Redrover

Redrover Poo-Bah (2,971) Jan 18, 2003 Illinois
    Subscriber

Thanks for posting. One of my favorite beer types that I think is a bit misunderstood.

I had to look-up my ratings and was surprised I rated the Three Kings from Point as high as I did.

I’m not sure what is going on with Goose Summer as it seems to lack the snap and pear taste it used to have.

If you can get the Metropolitan Krankshaft consider yourself lucky as it is top notch (as are all their German style beers). http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/19127/50984

Heading to Ely tomorrow where I will make one final stop at the Boat House before going beer free in the Boundary Waters…. Maybe on the way home I will stop in Duluth to see if I can get the Mankato offering.

ZAP likes this.
  9. caskstrength

caskstrength Disciple (354) Nov 26, 2008 Minnesota

Is Mankato Original brewed by the former Summit brewer who did Unchained #1 Kolsch?

Chaz likes this.
  10. ZAP

That is the way I understood it which made the side by side comparison interesting...

11. kocina5000

kocina5000 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2005 Minnesota

Mankato Original was designed by former Head Brewer Mike Miziorko who did Summit Unchained #1.

12. garymuchow

garymuchow Poo-Bah (2,723) Aug 31, 2001 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Heading to Ely tomorrow where I will make one final stop at the Boat House before going beer free in the Boundary Waters…. Maybe on the way home I will stop in Duluth to see if I can get the Mankato offering. [/quote]

Might have a problem finding in anywhere much north of the Cities. Their website doesn't indicate it's available much towards Duluth.

13. JohnBierman

JohnBierman Initiate (0) Sep 27, 2006 Minnesota

Former "head brewer"???

14. MNPikey

MNPikey Devotee (403) Feb 27, 2011 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I heard Surly was playing around with Kolsch recipes. Surly Eight maybe?

15. opwog

opwog Defender (656) Jun 16, 2008 Minnesota

16. jera1350

jera1350 Poo-Bah (2,183) Dec 15, 2007 Minnesota

Mmmmm, $20 bottles of Kolsch.

ben4bier likes this.
  17. ben4bier

just wait until they release a malt liquor as surly 13. it will cos $30 for 40.

18. kocina5000

kocina5000 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2005 Minnesota

To clarify my statement Mike was Head Brewer at Mankato Brewery. He left Mankato Brewery last summer. He was the man behind Mankato Original and Stickum. All the beers produced after that have been the creation of his replacement Bobby Blasey.

19. ZAP

Is he brewing somewhere now or is he out of the business?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.

Learn More
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.

Learn More
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Learn More