1. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Rating Retired Beers

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by stevoj, Apr 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevoj

stevoj Poo-Bah (5,527) Nov 22, 2011 Idaho

Is it not possible to provide a rating for a beer that's been retired/ My friend is cleaning out his cellar, and we have been sampling many older beers, as far back as 1996. As an example he cracked open a bottle of Pennichuck Pozharnik Espresso Russian Imperial Stout, for which I took notes. If I can't review it, can I at least "tick" it as having had sampled it?

rodbeermunch and IPAExpert69 like this.
  2. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (3,999) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

I remember having this issue....years ago. It was changed back then (seriously, may have been 6-8 years ago) so you could review these beers.

And I believe it's not that the beer is retired, but the brewery as closed. I'm not sure why this would preclude a beer from being reviewed.

3. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,121) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Sure, we already review limited editions, one offs and rotating series. If a beer is retired or even if the brewery is closed as long as drinkable examples are around I'd like to hear about it.

4. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,484) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

I believe you can review it still.

5. Todd

Todd Founder (5,649) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff

Not being able to review beers from breweries that are closed is a very old rule. I'm not opposed to removing the rule, but it would require some tweaking on our part to make it happen.

6. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,121) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

While I like the idea idle curiosity on my part is not enough to ask the staff to go to any trouble. I can only imagine the amount of time spent monitoring the existing traffic.

DrewSnyc667 likes this.
  7. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (10,579) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I feel that if the brewery is closed then there's really no reason to put up a review as most people won't be able to find it. Just my two cents.

8. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,281) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Sure there is - could still be plenty in cellars, depending on the style. I figure it should be allowed, as it doesn't hurt anything. It's not like a bad review will hurt their reputation.

9. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (10,579) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Yeah, I considered that there can be exceptions, for example wasn't Thomas Hardy's Ale not brewed for a few years while it was between breweries? But was the old producer closed? Hmmm... maybe you're right.

DrewSnyc667, Bitterbill and bbtkd like this.
  10. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,397) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

O'hanlon is still around. Eldridge Pope is not.

DrewSnyc667 likes this.
  11. beer_beer

beer_beer Aspirant (200) Feb 13, 2018 Finland
    Society

A brewery may go out of existence in a snap by being bought by another brewery. Sometimes the brewery is "retired" but not the beer! The breweries are often kind of virtual. I have difficulties seeing the dividing line between retired breweries with retired beers vs. non-retired breweries with retired beers. Maybe you should be able to review all the beers? The content in the bottle lives anyhow!

#11 beer_beer, Apr 24, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  12. DVMin98

DVMin98 Site Editor (2,804) Nov 1, 2010 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I've always wanted to review beers from retired breweries. One, I like to keep my BA 'hads' up to date. Also, there are a lot of breweries going out of business these days and a lot of people still have their beer. For instance, when Three Palms Brewing went out of business suddenly, I personally had 10 of their beers I couldn't review, or at least show that I had them.

beer_beer and Harrison8 like this.
  13. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,281) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

I just want to be able to review all beers I drink, just for my personal reference.

14. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (3,154) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Excellent point. As we get more and more breweries in the US, it's inevitable that more and more will close. I would like to see reviews made possible for retired breweries.

I wouldn't say it's a huge deal, but it would be a very welcomed extra feature (and may help me clear out my bottles of Pretty Things in the cellar).

DrewSnyc667 likes this.
  15. DrewSnyc667

DrewSnyc667 Devotee (487) Jul 25, 2011 Massachusetts

This is as good a thread as there’s been in a while...my thoughts...

Maybe set a limit as to how Lon a brewery as been closed? I realize this requires the use of arguably an arbitrary date, but it could allow for breweries whose beers are still likely floating around in decent enough numbers (Pretty Things, for me, comes to mind, as every so often an elite beer bar in Boston will have some bottles appear on their menu), but prevent an onslaught of closed breweries most of us are likely to never see again. And while I realize we all use this site in our own ways, and for our own reasons (I.e. - ticking) it still is a community and a public review is only valuable if one can actually experience the beer for which the review was written and then judge for themselves against it.

Harrison8 likes this.
  16. beer_beer

beer_beer Aspirant (200) Feb 13, 2018 Finland
    Society

Would for example five years be enough for a beer? Ten sounds like a stretch to me.

#16 beer_beer, Apr 27, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    DrewSnyc667 and Bitterbill like this.
  17. Bitterbill

Society Trader

Yeah, 5 sounds good. It's not like i could construct reviews of beers like from Heavyweight.

DrewSnyc667 likes this.
  18. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,367) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Trader

I vote for allowing it. I think the pluses far outweight the negative risks, basically just trolls fake reviewing or people reviewing old/stale non-cellarable beer styles, but I see that as very unlikely.

19. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (5,966) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Trader

This happened to me yesterday. I kinda went out of my way to find a new brew for NBS, and I did. Go to review it, and it's retired, and did not get credit for it. There were at least 6+ bottles of this brew still at the store as well. Like someone above said, "I just want to be able to review all beers I drink, just for my personal reference."

Cheers!

rodbeermunch and Squire like this.
  20. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (7,921) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Society Trader

If you provide a link to the specific beer I can probably tell you why... My guess is that the reason is that the brewery is closed which is why you cannot rate it vs the beer is just retired.

As @Todd mentioned, he is not opposed to removing the rule but it will take some development effort and I'm just guessing that it is not as high a priority as some other items that the very small development team is handling.

Lone_Freighter likes this.
  21. Wasatch

Trader

Here ya go, thanks.

Cheers!
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22150/199441/?ba=Wasatch#review

22. dbrauneis

Society Trader

23. Wasatch

Trader

Sunday I had 3913 before I reviewed said beer, it should have changed to 3914, but it did not. Did I lose a beer I had already reviewed?

Cheers!

24. dbrauneis

Society Trader

Quite possibly - there were a lot of duplicates reported over the weekend that were merged.

Wasatch likes this.
  25. Wasatch

Trader

Try to stay away from that, but I could have.

Cheers!

26. dbrauneis

Society Trader

I find they are often cases where the brewery has changed the name of the beer over time. Or breweries that have multiple locations.

Wasatch likes this.
  27. NickSMpls

NickSMpls Meyvn (1,082) Nov 11, 2012 Washington
    Society Trader

From an IT perspective, there are good reasons not to allow forum threads indefinite life. Something that is easy to ascertain and code for is best for a cutoff decision. The site owners have selected a brewery closing as being that event. Keep in mind, it might take some time to learn and validate that the brewery is, indeed closed.

Another way would be to close a review thread when there has been no reviews for "n" days.

Lone_Freighter likes this.
  28. JamFuel

JamFuel Poo-Bah (3,351) Mar 26, 2009 Sweden
    Society

A problem with retired beers are that it is quite common for a beer to be put in as Limited (brewed once) when it's really a rotating offering. If you see that, make an Edit of it.

cjgiant, beergoot, Bitterbill and 2 others like this.
  29. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Meyvn (1,350) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Trader

I'd love to be able to rate retired beers. I just had a billy beer from 1979 I'd love to post my thoughts on.

joe1510 likes this.
  30. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (3,195) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I've experienced beers that supposedly were retired but were brewed again. If a beer is listed as "retired" but is, in fact, brewed again, does it have to be treated as a "new" beer?

Bitterbill likes this.
  31. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,319) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

You're gutsy by attempting to drink one of those beers! :grin: How was it?

Scott17Taylor likes this.
  32. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Meyvn (1,350) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Trader

Honestly not as bad as you'd think. Really metallic and slightly sour, I definitely wouldn't recommend it, but I've had worse.

rodbeermunch and PapaGoose03 like this.
  33. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (4,397) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

General thoughts...
    From the site's POV of (presumedly) getting info out to the masses in case they are considering purchases, if a brewery closes, is this really a question? The last beers have been sold in most cases, so the info is moot.

Now, if the site takes the concept of having a vehicle for all members to tick any beer they've tried, a limit makes no sense. But then the question may shift to why a member is rating in the first place. If it's to help them in repurchasing - we're back to is it really a question?

Anyhow, net effect is that I have little issue with closed breweries' beers being un-rateable - for whatever that is worth. Retired beers is a different story, but I've never seen an issue in reviewing one, even before making a suggestion to un-retire it.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  34. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,753) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Not from what I understand, unless it has a new name. Sometimes beers listed as "retired" aren't really. Just alert the Mods it isn't retired (it helps if you include confirming information so they don't have to spend time looking it up themselves). Then give the beer your review.

#34 drtth, Jul 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  35. Lone_Freighter

Lone_Freighter Poo-Bah (6,242) Jun 4, 2017 Vermont

If you're willing to share your thoughts on the beer, and not let "numbers" from possible "off flavors" due to ill cellarable conditions affect a score. The following thread can be a good place to post thoughts.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/july-2018-cellar-reviews.580569/

Apologies, I'm not in that thread myself enough.

Bitterbill and PapaGoose03 like this.
  36. PapaGoose03

Society

Although I have a modest cellar, I have never spent time in the Cellaring forum. This link was an interesting read. Now I'll try to give my input as I drink down my well-aged collection. Sadly, a lot of my comments will be "Oops, I waited too long to drink this one." But maybe the info will warn others.

#36 PapaGoose03, Jul 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    Bitterbill, drtth and Lone_Freighter like this.
  37. Lone_Freighter

I tend to have a fairly small cellar as well. However, I thought after opening bottles with oxidation, why rate it with numbers that's most likely going to affect scores but rather post notes of other possible nuances in appearance, aroma, flavor, mouthfeel and overall in a thread that can be info to others, and like you said could be a warning.

Bitterbill and PapaGoose03 like this.
  38. PapaGoose03

Society

I don't do reviews of any beers, but I'll occasionally rate a beer (not from my cellar) and make a brief comment about something notable, either positive or negative. I do keep a spreadsheet where I rate my cellared beers, so I hope to find the time to summarize those ratings and comments in the Cellaring thread that you linked. That is assuming that most BAs with a cellar do spend time in that forum, although that certainly assumption doesn't fit me since I don't spend time there, thus I am probably way wrong in that assumption.

Bitterbill and Lone_Freighter like this.
  39. Bitterbill

Society Trader

Please post in the group. It's fun, informative, and some great BAs hang out there.

Lone_Freighter and PapaGoose03 like this.
  40. Lone_Freighter

Though I lost my password to my imgur account, I may try and show up to this thread with just retired/vintage beers reviews. Gimme a lil' bit and I'll see ya there soon enough.

Bitterbill likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.