Re- trying the beers you first liked

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Ohknows, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Ohknows

Ohknows Initiate (121) Feb 6, 2020 Nevada
    Trader

I recently decided to try some of the first beers I’ve tried that in the beginning, these beers opened up my taste buds and made me branch out from my usual bud light. These beers, made my try more, dark beers, IPA, etc.

Also, I tried some craft beers that I didn’t like in the beginning of my craft beer journey, too hoppy, boozy, etc.

i decided to go back and try these beers again, and the beers that I enjoyed in the beginning l, I now find to be “watered down”. Some of the beers that I didn’t enjoy ( fruit beers, too hoppy, etc.), now I find them to be much better tasting.

has anyone else have this experience?

please don’t get mad if I don’t respond to your comment(s), I am not an active user and I don’t really know how to use this site... shhh... don’t make fun of my old age. Lol.

cheers to our beer journey.

2. GreenBayBA

GreenBayBA Meyvn (1,312) Aug 30, 2015 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

I drank a Pabst Blue Ribbon beer prior to the Milwaukee Metalfest in 1992. I drank a Pabst Blue Ribbon beer last weekend while I was making a souffle. Both situations ended favorably.

eppCOS, Bouleboubier, KRug and 15 others like this.
  3. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,057) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

La Folie is the very first beer I tried and thought "woah, this is beer? I love it." I haven't had one in several years. Perhaps it's time to revisit.

Mother's Winter Grind is my first review here. I frequently revisit it every winter, especially when I lived with a guy who lived near that brewery. It certainly is less lustrous than my initial tries, but still a quality standard coffee stout. If anything, I do find it much more thin now than I did back then. Of course, some of the stouts I've had over the years make that stout feel like river water, so that feeling is justified.

KRug, Ohknows, Roguer and 6 others like this.
  4. beaulabauve

beaulabauve Disciple (374) Aug 5, 2011 Louisiana

Absolutely. My experience word for word.

Amendm and GreenBayBA like this.
  5. Ohknows

Ohknows Initiate (121) Feb 6, 2020 Nevada
    Trader

Typos and grammatical errors and all?! You must be as drunk as I am! Lol

6. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Aspirant (271) Jan 13, 2006 New Mexico

I'm not interested in re-trying the first beers I loved. Miller High Life, Pabst, Burgie Bock, Jax and Schlitz Dark are best left alone as long lost memories.

Ohknows, GreenBayBA, steveh and 5 others like this.
  7. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (2,464) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire
    Society

It was mostly Sam Adams that opened me up to beer. I still enjoy Boston Lager and Octoberfest, but I don't see any of the other beers that I loved (Cream Ale, Black Lager, Boston Ale).

It's funny, I remember Boston Lager being so bitter and strong I could barely finish a pint. Now it's sweet and drinkable as hell. Palates are weird.

8. CB_Michigan

CB_Michigan Initiate (174) Sep 4, 2014 Illinois

Well, the first beer that I truly enjoyed was Pete's Wicked Ale, which is sadly no longer made. Some of the beers I drank early on are still my chain restaurant go-to's (Sam Adams, Guinness). There are only two beers I've ever felt "disappointed" by. One is Fat Tire. I absolutely loved that beer but had a couple recently that just didn't do anything for me. The other is Rolling Rock. Drank a ton of it in my early 20's. Tried it at 30 and wondered what the hell I was thinking. Some beers I used to like have undergone changes like Goose Island Green Line. Something happened when they started brewing it in Baldwinsville, NY.

ESHBG, jockstrappy, Ohknows and 6 others like this.
  9. Sound_Explorer

Sound_Explorer Poo-Bah (1,846) Dec 29, 2013 Washington
    Society

I have been trying to revisit some oldies the last 18 months or so myself. Some have aged fine, others should be dead. It is funny to see where my tastes have grown and/or changed over the over 10 year span of my beer exploration.

Hope the old familiars treat you all well!

KRug, Ohknows, GreenBayBA and 2 others like this.
  10. AmeriCanadian

AmeriCanadian Champion (846) Jul 5, 2014 Tennessee

I’ve had some staple beers over the years that have held up well on repeated visits, and others that haven’t. But the one that fits best in this string is Lagunitas Sucks. Sucks was a total game changer for me in terms of when I had it in my beer-drinking evolution, where I had it, and who I had it with. The ultimate test! Every time I’d pick up a new sixer or quart (!!) of it I’d worry that it wouldn’t live up to expectation. Yet every time I drank it it did. Given that Lagy has unforgivingly stopped making it (year-round or otherwise) for several years now, I often wonder what my next experience with it might be. But today it remains the one and only beer (or at least one of a few, with it being the oldest representative of the bunch) that has literally never disappointed me in any circumstances. I can’t imagine there being my better compliment for a beer.

KRug, Ohknows, GreenBayBA and 2 others like this.
  11. Abe_Froman

Abe_Froman Crusader (727) Mar 24, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

There are ones like Palo Santo Marron (which really got me into craft beer) which still are in my tops. But I have looked at my old BA ratings and sometimes I'm like "I rated that beer that high!?!?!". As folks have already said our tastes change and we get exposed to new things.

12. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Meyvn (1,407) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

I was primarily a whiskey guy, moving up the chain from Jack to better pours over the years. Guinness was my beer at Irish bars, Budweiser for meals or outdoors.

I revisited both after all these years, Guinness is disappointing (at least the version in the states), after I have found so many great stouts (ABV light, mid or heavy). I still like Budweiser, though I don't buy it very often. Still pairs well with a meal.

Someone wrote about Moosehead a few months ago here. We named our softball team after the beer, had it over the years and so I picked up a twelve pack and it is still a very good AAL, and it will be added to the rotation as a result.

Doesn't hurt to try an old favorite, worst case you didn't like a pour (or six pack / tall boy).

#12 ChicagoJ, Aug 1, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    JackHorzempa, ESHBG, Ohknows and 3 others like this.
  13. Amendm

Amendm Champion (805) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Society

I plan on revisiting the West Coast IPAs from my early days of drinking "Craft Beer" next weekend during the "Online Tasting: West Coast IPA (August 7 & 8, 2020)" event.

14. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Devotee (411) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Society Trader

Went back and reviewed a few (Rogue Dead Guy, Fat Tire, Smithwick's) but was less impressed. Whether this is due to changing preferences, different recipes, or something else (back then, I more drank out of bottles and had lower tolerance) is anybody's guess

Others, I liked just as much, or more: Firestone Walker DBA, Anchor Steam, Alaskan Amber. Afraid to try new Newcastle

Amendm, Ohknows, GreenBayBA and 2 others like this.
  15. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (8,654) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

My first craft beer was Dixie Blackened VooDoo, which I first had in the 1980's at a Cajun restaurant in Missouri, then later in New Orleans. I didn't even know what craft was at that time. Last time I had it, I was not that impressed. Similar experience with Orkney Skull Splitter, which I had at a Missouri bar about 10 years ago. Recently had it, and it wasn't as good as I remembered. My tastes have changed a lot since I first had those beers, and now I prefer BBA and RBA high-ABV dark beers, though have gotten into DIPAs, NEIPAs and sours recently.

16. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,429) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I’m craving a Hop Devil, the first real IPA that turned me, it’s been so long gone from here I can’t remember my last one. Our shelves are probably 80% local whether they’re good or not.

Amendm, Ohknows, MaximumYuks and 2 others like this.
  17. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Meyvn (1,091) Apr 21, 2014 Canada
    Trader

Something along the lines of this topic might make and interesting online tasting thread here on BA. Revisit one of the beers that got you into beer. It can be ‘craft’ or macro. Start with a a brief story about when you first tried it, what you remember about liking about it, and then give your thoughts on how you enjoy or don’t enjoy it now.

KRug, V1leOne, Amendm and 4 others like this.
  18. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,747) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I remember which few craft beers that I first drank but sadly I can't revisit them because Arcadia is now out of business. However, before they closed their doors they released some beers that must have been sitting in their warehouse. I saw their London Porter on my store's shelf, and that one was my first favorite beer. So as a reminisce I bought a sixer. Sadly it must have sat too long or was sloppily brewed because it had a mild tartness like an infection that ruined the experience.

Short's Brewing has recently obtained the rights (ownership?) to brew Arcadia beers, and have already brewed and released Whitsun. They have hinted that others are to come, so maybe I will get another crack at that London Porter.

Other than the early Arcadia beers in 1996, I don't remember other beers from that era to be able to revisit them.

19. jonphisher

jonphisher Aspirant (286) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

It’s weird I’ve been revisiting too, maybe cause I’ve been home more who knows.

my first loves were: Sierra pale, long trail ale, Boston lager and saranac Adirondack lager.

I’ve only revisited from that list Sierra pale and Adirondack. They’re better than anything and I can’t stop thinking about my next 12 pack of cans. I’ve also revisit torpedo and two hearted for first time as ages. They’re all better than ever.

I’m pretty sure they and other ones that got me into beer will be my main purchases for the foreseeable future.

plan to revisit sculpin and troegs hopback soon

Amendm, Ohknows, GreenBayBA and 3 others like this.
  20. Mortal_Wombat

Mortal_Wombat Initiate (44) Jul 7, 2020 Texas

I've had a few that I've revisited over the years. I absolutely loved Little Kings due to the sweetness/easy drinking nature of them when I first started drinking beer. I picked up a 12 pack of them up in Oklahoma about a month ago and shockingly, I still really like it. Little Kings isn't a special beer as a cream ale, but that beer just doesn't sour for me.

Shiner Oktoberfest was the complete opposite for me. Went about 4 years without drinking it and then came back to it last fall. Big mistake. Shiner in general is usually mediocre but drinking one of those after drinking a Great Lakes Oktoberfest was pretty eye opening for the massive gulf in quality.

JackHorzempa, Amendm, Ohknows and 2 others like this.
  21. jonphisher

Trader

oh shiner, I remember having my dad bring me back a case from Alabama once. Some Texas friends got me into pat Greene back before he sort of got popular. Kept hearing him sing about shiner bock so my 21 year old self had to try it haha. Now it’s in NJ but haven’t seen it in a while. Another one I should revisit.

22. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,050) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Perfect time to re-visit Sierra Nevada Pale Ale if you had it back in the early '80s, since the current bottle labels look like this:
    [​IMG]

nc41, Amendm, Ohknows and 4 others like this.
  23. jonphisher

Trader

I grabbed a single just to have the bottle, wasn’t born till 86 though haha. It was dated 4/27/2020 I drank it July 4th. Dates be damned, it was perfect. Prompted me to buy a 12 pack that’s gone now. Which I plan to replenish next week. I forgot how perfect it was. Shame on me.

24. pbrian

pbrian Defender (682) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

I'd love to revisit the craft beers I first loved, but they're not around anymore. In the early 90's I drank a shit ton on New Amsterdam Amber. It was usually on tap at most NYC bars, great beer it was. They also had an "IDA", India Dark Ale, that I remember really enjoying.

But as @jesskidden posted, SNPA has always been a staple in my life and will continue to be.

As far as first non-craft beers I used to "love" (translation: drank too much of in high school/college), I don't really have the desire to revisit Bush and Meisterbrau. But do on occasion drink PBR and Narragansett if I'm feeling the AAL itch.

JackHorzempa, Amendm, Ohknows and 3 others like this.
  25. hojo813

hojo813 Initiate (40) Aug 3, 2018 Virginia
    Trader

The first IPA I actually enjoyed was New Belgium's Ranger. THE ORIGINAL. Unfortunately, it has been tainted with Voodoo...I never buy it

You always remember your first

26. Insomniac

Insomniac Initiate (125) Nov 5, 2019 Canada

In terms of the first beers I tried (Keith’s, Moosehead and Schooner), I haven’t had any of these in decades and don’t feel the need to do so. About twenty five years ago I had a Polish friend who introduced me to Zywiec and Ococim, which I enjoyed at the time. Again, it’s been quite a while for these beers. Had a few Sierra Nevada PA last year after a long gap and still enjoyed it considerably. Would like to find an Anchor Liberty Ale, which was another fav from the way back days. The beers I’ve been drinking fairly consistently for the longest period of time would likely be stuff from Fuller’s. They never get old to me it seems.

27. bluejacket74

bluejacket74 Poo-Bah (5,373) Jul 4, 2005 Ohio
    Society

I know if I re-rated a lot of the brews that I had first tried years ago, that I wouldn't give them quite as good of a rating nowadays. With that being said, I'm pretty sure if people are looking at beer reviews they're not going to pay a lot of attention to a rating from 10 or more years ago.

28. NYRunner

NYRunner Initiate (72) Nov 5, 2018 New York

I used to love Corona Light with lime; I tried it with pizza last year and couldn't finish it. Maybe a bad bottle.

One of my breakout craft beers was Sam Summer; I tried it again last summer with dinner and was disappointed. Guess you Can't Go Home Again.

29. jonphisher

Trader

Only one way to find out...if you were gonna revisit an old beer which one would it be?

bluejacket74, Ohknows and GreenBayBA like this.
  30. bluejacket74

bluejacket74 Poo-Bah (5,373) Jul 4, 2005 Ohio
    Society

I'll have to look back at some of my really old reviews and then pick some. I really didn't have any particular beer in mind!

Ohknows and jonphisher like this.
  31. JTW10

JTW10 Initiate (69) Nov 25, 2013 Pennsylvania

La Fin Du Monde and Maudite were my gateway beers, I’ve been retrying them for about 10 years now. Even smelling Maudite triggers a nostalgic reaction/flashback like that food snob in Ratatouille.

2011 Weyerbacher Insanity with a year on it was the first beer to truly blow my mind, and that beer, while always good, was never that good again (I drink various vintages every year). I attribute this mostly to being inexperienced with barleywine, but I also stand by that batch really being something else.

32. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (813) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

SNPA was a beer that was just an amazing beer back in 1988, today it’s an easy pass. Just can’t get that great hoppy taste.

Hop Devil was a great super earthy spicy ipa in 1996. Today it’s a watery sweet mess.

Old Nick was such a disgusting mess in 1986, today I love Barleywine.

Many others I should go back and try.

Great thread.

Enjoy

Ohknows likes this.
  33. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,429) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

As great as this beer is, it’s been forever since I’ve had it. Love the label.

jonphisher likes this.
  34. -Andrew-

-Andrew- Defender (601) Jul 22, 2013 Texas

The first beer I drank legally was either a 60 Minute or 90 Minute, I'm not sure which. As a very-freshly-minted 21 year old (it was about 1am on my 21st birthday), it was overpowering and I thought it was dreadful. These days, I think both are excellent.

#34 -Andrew-, Aug 2, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    woemad, ChicagoJ and Ohknows like this.
  35. ESHBG

ESHBG Disciple (314) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Good timing because I am going through this myself but my experience may be coming from the other side, as many of the craft beers I once liked I can barely finish now (mostly of the IPA variety) and some of the old run of the mill beers I am finding that I really enjoy again. Case in point Yuengling Traditional Lager. Growing up in PA this was THE craft beer in a sea of Bud and Miller products and it showed me that beer can be more than fizzy and yellow. But years later it became just cheap, boring water to me and couldn't hold a candle to the IPA flavor bombs. But recently I grabbed one because I wanted something simple and cheap and I was impressed by the amount of head and how smooth it was and for the price it at least has some flavor and really hit the spot.

Palates and what not really are strange beasts and ask me a year ago if I would be "impressed" now by a Yuengling beer I have had hundreds of times in my youth and I would have said no way in hell.

36. ssimpson89

ssimpson89 Defender (642) Jul 24, 2009 Illinois

Early craft beers that have held up: Two Hearted, Racer 5, Celebration, Hop Devil, Great Lakes Oktoberfest, SA Oktoberfest, Founders Porter & Imperial Stout

Have not: Goose Island, Fat Tire, Sculpin, Green Flash/Alpine

37. Roadkizzle

Roadkizzle Aspirant (226) Nov 6, 2007 Texas

Shiner Bock was the first beer I liked. I've bought it recently and I still like it as much as ever. I don't find it watery but a bit metallic.

Then the other beers I really liked were Redhook ESB, Sam Adams Black Lager, and Full Sail amber. Those beers aren't available in North Texas anymore. But Sam Adams Boston Lager actually tastes more flavorful and bitter than I remember it... I think it's fresher when I buy it in 12 packs.

Ohknows, ChicagoJ and thesherrybomber like this.
  38. ESHBG

ESHBG Disciple (314) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Fresh SA Boston Lager is pretty hoppy for the style. I can remember the first few times I had it and long before my IPA days it was borderline tough to finish and it was like none of the other beers I have had within this style.

I miss their Black Lager a lot, especially when you could by it as a standalone six pack.

thesherrybomber likes this.
  39. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (6,834) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

I revist quite often sometimes.:slight_smile:

Cheers!

Ohknows likes this.
  40. polloenfuego

polloenfuego Poo-Bah (1,818) Jan 26, 2013 Canada
    Society

The first beer I experienced was Moosehead Red. A true New Brunswick (Canada) experience. It was a means to get drunk. Today, some 35 years later, I'll still grab a case when I head to the camp with the lads. It still works to get drunk. Is it good? Meh, as far as plonk goes, it's fair.

In the world of craft, there is a brewery in New Brunswick called Picaroons. They were the original craft brewery there. Traditional English styles using a Ringwood system.

When they opened, I couldn't get enough of their stuff. I especially liked their best bitter. When I was back home a few years back, we popped into the taproom for a pint. Naturally I had the bitter. It was a severe letdown. It just tasted like a pint of butter and it just made me sad. I switched up to their IPA, same result.

Since then I have determined it's the Ringwood that I do not care for. It just doesn't work for me anymore.

Lesson learned, you can't go home again.

Ohknows likes this.