Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Real Ale Lost Gold floaties

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by bleeng, Jun 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bleeng

bleeng Aug 16, 2005 Texas
    Beer Trader

Grabbed a sixer of 11/24/13 bottles. Tons of floaties in this one. It also doesn't seem to be as hop forward and fresh as the last sixer I had (forgot the date but in the last 2 months or so).
    I could post a pic but not up to that skill level.

2. mattisloco

mattisloco Feb 13, 2007 Texas
    Beer Trader

Sounds like it got some serious abuse from heat and light.

3. bleeng

Beer Trader

The last sixer I had from HEB was maybe the best I had ever had-180 degrees difference. Looks like a filtering issue with the floaties.

4. champ103

champ103 Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Beer Trader

What date are you using? I am dyslexic, but that seems weird even for me...November 24, 2013? What the hell, please somebody tell me I am drunk after wandering around downtown Charleston?

FUNKPhD and air like this.
  5. jwff

jwff Oct 20, 2004 New York

I think Real Ale uses a 'best/drink by' dating system on their beer

6. champ103

Beer Trader

Given that, I don't think that they would have a best anything date in November right now? Also, I have never had a problem with Lost Gold since it has been bottled...

7. bleeng

Beer Trader

It's on the bottle-best by 11/24/13. Seems like a long time for an IPA but I assume it's the latest batch.

8. Lutter

Lutter Jun 30, 2010 Texas

I bet they date 6 months out... so it's probably about a month old.

BTW: Dating 6 months out on an IPA is stupid. Sixpoint does NINE months out.

mrkmrk and mattisloco like this.
  9. StArnoldFan

StArnoldFan Dec 28, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

Lost Gold has always had floaties for me, I thought it was cause its unfiltered but what do I know. Either way it doesn't bother me a bit.

10. champ103

Beer Trader

That does seem like a long time for a best by. That is why I like bottled on dates better, I get to decide what is to old.

11. bentwookie

bentwookie Jan 13, 2008 Texas

Lost Gold does have a 6 months drink by(Way too long). And in my experience if you can get it within 2-3 weeks of bottling it is excellent. Drop off is quick for me. I haven't noticed floaties before but I won't buy it if it is a month old so that may have something to do with it.
    Here is a write up Stone did on chill haze (floaties)
    http://blog.stonebrew.com/index.php/chill-haze-the-more-you-know/

champ103 likes this.
  12. Ford

Ford Sep 8, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

They need to start canning this.. they can Fireman's 4 and the Pilsner... we need a canned IPA!

13. Chuk_Hell

Chuk_Hell Apr 12, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

I think the smart play is to just do bottling dates. I wish everyone did that.

14. bleeng

Beer Trader

And the 4-squared!

15. Lutter

Lutter Jun 30, 2010 Texas

It's a ploy so that people don't realize that the IPA they are buying is 5 months old. :)

16. Ford

Ford Sep 8, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

Yes.. putting the canning/bottling date on the bottle is the way everyone should do it... I know it scares some for sales though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe