Real Ale

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by Danny124, Mar 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danny124

Danny124 Initiate (92) Mar 21, 2009 Texas

So, for those who've seen the most recent "New Beer (this month)" thread, Real Ale is currently revamping it's whole lineup with new packaging and in some cases, new recipes. In the past week I've started seeing the new cans and bottles on the shelf, and my first thoughts are all good ones, not least because it means fresh product. I've bought two sixers of 4^2 this week already, 'cause it's right at a week old! For less than $8 a sixer at HEB, that's a steal, and I've been in dry-hopped heaven for a week now.

Their Rye ale, Full Moon, has seen a recipe change, with Citra being added and the final gravity being dropped to IPA levels (according to their website). I'll be looking for that one next. Between that, and 4^2 , and Han's Pils, I'm a happy man as far as well-priced local hoppy beers go.

Any thoughts on the new packaging? Real Ale has often been a "underrated" local brewery (or by underrated, I mean "lacks excessive national acclaim")-- so I wonder, does this signal the explosion of our hill-country brewery? Or will their packing of some of the MV series do that anyway?

Ford, ONovoMexicano and champ103 like this.
  2. Texasfan549

Texasfan549 Poo-Bah (2,812) Feb 26, 2011 Texas
    Society Trader

I dig the new labels. Full Moon with Citra sounds pretty tasty! I'll have to revisit that when I see the new bottles.

Ford and champ103 like this.
  3. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (4,809) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

bleeng, Krumb, FUNKPhD and 6 others like this.
  4. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2010 Texas

I have two problems with Real Ale. They should have left the Sisyphus labels alone, and the cans of White say seasonal release on them. They should do away with that. I think big things are coming for Real Ale. New taproom, new website, new labels. I'm excited to see what's coming up.

Ford, Ryno3031, Phil_S and 2 others like this.
  5. jamescain

jamescain Champion (858) Jul 14, 2009 Texas

Shhhh....

Krumb likes this.
  6. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Poo-Bah (2,831) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

I don't want to thread jack but I'm a big fan of Real Ale and as I'll be in Texas in a couple of weeks (Austin area) and I'm curious if I'll be able to find the gose from last year or was that a one-off? I'm a fan of that dry-hopped squared beer and still have some Sisyphus bottles, anything else I MUST try to pick up?

7. tpgraham

tpgraham Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2013 Texas
    Deactivated

I cannot wait to try the new Lost Gold and Rye IPA. Is anyone seeing the new labels in Houston yet?

8. starkmarvelo

A sixer of White.

ONovoMexicano and pwsoldier like this.
  9. Heretic42

Heretic42 Initiate (0) Aug 31, 2011 Texas

You might be able to find some at an out-of-the-way liquor or grocery store. It sounds like the Gose will be a summer seasonal this year, so you won't find any fresh stock when you're here.

ONovoMexicano likes this.
  10. reverseapachemaster

reverseapachemaster Initiate (172) Sep 21, 2012 Texas
    Trader

Personally I'm disappointed that they are changing the recipe to Full Moon to include citra. There are already a shit ton of beers on the market with a prominent citra character. I can understand that it didn't sell as well as it could under the old recipe (same for Lost Gold) and I understand the need to brew beer that sells but they could have revamped the recipe as something other than the 10,000th citra beer on the market.

11. jamescain

jamescain Champion (858) Jul 14, 2009 Texas

Maybe they tried pilot batches with different hops and decided Citra was their favorite.

12. Techichi

Techichi Zealot (507) Sep 25, 2012 Texas

I'm excited about the new Full Moon. Mainly because it will be more readily available around here than other citra hop IPAs. Plus I believe it still has rye? A rye citra hop IPA that I can pick up at my local grocery store? Yes please!

Danny124 likes this.
  13. Danny124

Whoops! I glossed over that one. And I agree with your sentiment towards Live Oak. They're my "at a bar/ restaurant)" brewery whereas RA is my "at a grocery store" choice. While I wish them nothing but success, I hope I don't start overhearing people in the beer aisle talking about "this great new local brewery."

14. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Devotee (469) Apr 26, 2007 Minnesota

I think Citra beers can get tiresome when they are defined exclusively by that one ingredient. I don't feel that's the case with Full Moon. It's being pitched as a rye IPA with Citra, not a Citra IPA with rye. I haven't tried it yet (very much looking forward to it), but when I do it won't be with the expectation that the Citra is going to be the defining characteristic. Hell, maybe the Simcoe will be more prominent.

15. Danny124

Citra is a hop that I love but I get where you're coming from. I guess what I'm actually happy about is that it got a revamped hop schedule.

EDIT: basically what pwsoldier just said.

16. Ford

Ford Champion (818) Sep 8, 2012 Texas

pretty sure I just saw new label Lost Gold at an HEB in Friendswood.... apologize if I'm wrong..ha.

Techichi likes this.
  17. jeebeel

jeebeel Initiate (190) Jun 17, 2003 Texas

Yup. This week I saw the new format at downtown Spec's, my local Kroger (11th & Shepherd), and the Metro Mart convenience store on 11th just west of Studewood. Plus I have a new-look sixer of Devil's Backbone in the fridge for the weekend.

Techichi likes this.
  18. ehsteve

ehsteve Initiate (147) Jan 13, 2009 Texas

Is anyone seeing the new Full Moon sixers in Austin yet? Everywhere I go, they've got the new bottles in the mix packs but either old sixers or no Full Moon at all.

19. Techichi

Today at my store I saw new Fireman's #4, Hans, and White cans. Also Devil's Backbone bottles. No Full Moon unfortunately.

20. ElChuques

ElChuques Initiate (92) Oct 8, 2014 Arkansas

^Same. I can't believe they hit the Rio Grande valley this quickly.

Looking for fresh 4^2 and that new Full Moon for sure!

21. tpgraham

Deactivated

I found new Lost Gold and Fireman's 4 at HEB Bunker Hill in Houston. Still on the lookout for fresh 4-Squared and Full Moon. I also wish they would change their dates to born on instead of best by.

22. Techichi

Indeed. Best by dates are pretty lame.

sethsticles likes this.
  23. tpgraham

Deactivated

Some may disagree but I just sent a retired request for the Full Moon Rye Pale and set up a new listing for the Rye IPA.

24. ElChuques

Have they said how many months out their best by dates are? I prefer subtracting a few months to Julian dating any day.

Both are inferior to packaging dates, though.

25. chaser85

chaser85 Initiate (87) Jan 20, 2009 Texas

I picked up a sixer of Full Moon at Central Market North Lamar a couple days ago, stacked next to the wine, but not in the cooler. I was a fan of the old recipe, but this may be tasty enough for me to forget...

26. chaser85

chaser85 Initiate (87) Jan 20, 2009 Texas

The Full Moon I picked up this week has a Best By date of June 19th, give or take a day, so maybe 3 months-ish??

ElChuques likes this.
  27. jbeezification

jbeezification Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2012 Texas

90 days is fairly common on best by dates.

28. Monkeypuker

Monkeypuker Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2013 Texas

it depends. sometimes its as long as six months

29. ehsteve

ehsteve Initiate (147) Jan 13, 2009 Texas

Thanks! I bought a sixer of the old recipe too, so I can do a side-by-side and have it a few more times before it's gone for good.

chaser85 likes this.
  30. ElChuques

I bet it's four months and it took a few weeks to hit shelves. Thanks for the tip.

chaser85 likes this.
  31. ElChuques

Got Four Squared at HEB in Laredo. Best by 06/24. Gotta be 4 months.

32. pwsoldier

Tried the new Full Moon today. It's good stuff.

ElChuques likes this.
  33. TTUJohn

TTUJohn Initiate (164) Nov 13, 2012 Texas

Here's one more person in the "new full moon is the bees knees" camp

34. Phil_S

Phil_S Initiate (68) Feb 14, 2013 Texas

From RA's Instagram:

"We're releasing our latest Mysterium Verum - Tenebrae Aeterna, a barrel-aged sour porter - this Saturday at a metal show at ABGB. The show will feature our own Brewmaster in his band, Canyon of the Skull. Come and taste it before all your friends from 12-6. #onlyintx#sxsw#craftbeer#mysteriumverum#sourbeer"

35. Can_has_beer

Can_has_beer Savant (927) May 14, 2013 Texas

Beer and metal. Fuck yeah!

ElChuques likes this.
  36. pwsoldier

Real Ale bottles (and I believe cans as well) actually have both best-by and julian born-on. Julian can be a pain, but if freshness is that important to you, there's an app for that. The Lost Gold I drank earlier was bottled 2/18.

37. quietdomino

quietdomino Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2013 Texas

How is Julian that much of a pain, though? Just round all months to 30 days. It isn't that hard, unless you can't count by 30s.

pwsoldier likes this.
  38. saint0r

saint0r Initiate (0) Aug 8, 2013 Texas

Don't judge me.

DeepBrew and nathanmiller like this.
  39. starkmarvelo

Right? I thought everyone knew this. It makes me sad for our society when we can't figure out a simple Julian Calender.

*sarcasm*
    Here's a cheat sheet.
    http://www.quadax.com/support/Julian2015.pdf

rainerschuhsler likes this.
  40. tpgraham

Deactivated

Finally had the new Full Moon recipe. It is very good, but unfortunately I recently also had the Icon Blue Rye IPA which is much better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.